The All Purpose Pens Off Day(s?) Thread - Injuries, Practice, Injuries, Lines, More Injuries, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I think it's a little strange that he would go out of his way to talk about Bjugstad's ability to score a lot of goals sometime down the road. I mean... he has an intriguing shot (that he's often too much of a boner to actually get in the right spots to use) and JR is likely just rambling but that struck me a little odd.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think it's a little strange that he would go out of his way to talk about Bjugstad's ability to score a lot of goals sometime down the road. I mean... he has an intriguing shot (that he's often too much of a boner to actually get in the right spots to use) and JR is likely just rambling but that struck me a little odd.

I'd guess he mentioned that because Bjugstad was super hot at the end of the 2018-2019 season and JR thinks a healthy Bjugstad can do that again. 9 goals in 32 games is very good out of your 3C. I don't think it's unreasonable for JR to be expecting Bjugstad to be a 2014-2015 Sutter level contributor (about 20 goals and 35 points) if he stays healthy next year.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I'd guess he mentioned that because Bjugstad was super hot at the end of the 2018-2019 season and JR thinks a healthy Bjugstad can do that again. 9 goals in 32 games is very good out of your 3C. I don't think it's unreasonable for JR to be expecting Bjugstad to be a 2014-2015 Sutter level contributor (about 20 goals and 35 points) if he stays healthy next year.

Yeah that's true. I don't have much belief in Bjugstad at this point but anything could happen, I suppose. And at least on paper, he's a pretty intriguing guy to have for your bottom six.

If I ever see him being shoved into the top six as anything more than a band-aid I'm gonna toss my hands up in disgust, though. He doesn't have near the offensive IQ to keep up with that.

Reactions: EightyOne

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

I selected that quote because I wanted to feature the bits talking about what Rutherford saw about him in the future - he was also talking about Bjugstad having scored a lot of goals in the past too.

To me, the important part here is that Rutherford - at least in public - is happy to talk positively about Bjugstad and his possible contributions to this team and there being a decision still to be made about whether he's here or not next season. I guess I'd still bet not, but it feels a bit of a change in the odds. And there's a potential scenario where it makes sense...

His comments about Bjugstad are interesting, though. I suppose it is possible that they trade McCann and have Blueger and Bjugstad as their bottom-6 centers for next year. Bjugstad's deal is done after next year, so having him as the 4C for 1 year isn't a huge issue. Make Blueger the 3C, have Bjugstad as the 4C for 1 year and have Lafferty take Bjugstad's spot after next year or something like that.

This won't be super popular here (in fact, it's more popular already than I thought it would), but it makes sense to me, particularly if you're Rutherford and believe Blueger is the next Bonino here. If you believe that and think the other C isn't going to have a huge role here, then trading McCann for plenty of assets beats Bjugstad for not very many and maybe lets you make up any difference between McCann and Bjugstad. If there is one.

Bonus points for having 4.1m walk off into the sunset when Marino needs paid and freeing up an expansion draft spot.

If the org still sees McCann as a guy who can be a W who plays a lot of minutes, or thinks he's more important than Blueger, than obviously none of this makes sense. But otherwise...

More and more reason to believe he'll be on the team next year, but I'm being a broken record about that :laugh:

It's pretty undeniable that Rutherford's giving every impression of thinking he could be there, and maybe wants him to be there.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
This won't be super popular here (in fact, it's more popular already than I thought it would), but it makes sense to me, particularly if you're Rutherford and believe Blueger is the next Bonino here. If you believe that and think the other C isn't going to have a huge role here, then trading McCann for plenty of assets beats Bjugstad for not very many and maybe lets you make up any difference between McCann and Bjugstad. If there is one.

I mean... I almost hate to say it out loud because frankly I'm not the biggest fan of Bjugstad even in the best of times. But if McCann is unable to prove that he can competently play top six wing in order to legitimize his continued percentage of the cap here (so far so bad) then I think there is some merit to this line of thinking...

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I mean... I almost hate to say it out loud because frankly I'm not the biggest fan of Bjugstad even in the best of times. But if McCann is unable to prove that he can competently play top six wing in order to legitimize his continued percentage of the cap here (so far so bad) then I think there is some merit to this line of thinking...

Or JR could just be posturing for a player who’s gong to be hard to trade, which is how I read his comments...but then again, I’m cynical...I like a lot of McCann’s tools but his toolbox has some gaping holes and I’m not sure he thinks the game well enough offensively to patch them up...if we can get a good return for him, I’m more in favor of moving him than I am re-signing him for like $3.5 mil per year

Reactions: cvrle1

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Even if he can, which of him, Guentzel and Zucker are you happy having on the right? None of them have really shown they're the same player on the right. Obviously you can give him a big role as 3LW who slides up with injuries, but...

Incidentally, my understanding is Poulin is has played quite a lot on the right...

Or JR could just be posturing for a player who’s gong to be hard to trade, which is how I read his comments...but then again, I’m cynical...I like a lot of McCann’s tools but his toolbox has some gaping holes and I’m not sure he thinks the game well enough offensively to patch them up...if we can get a good return for him, I’m more in favor of moving him than I am re-signing him for like $3.5 mil per year

It's pretty rare for Rutherford to say something he doesn't at least partially believe. I mean, you're not wrong the timing is a little suspicious, but he's been pretty consistent about liking Bjugstad.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

Oh for sure. JR and every GM likes to talk all kinds of trash just to bump a players worth up a bit. But I dunno... I've long thought the team only sees Bjugstad's situation as a big shame and not so much that he's just kind of mediocre. And are likely still interested in getting a hard look at him since they really haven't yet. On the flip side I'm not sure the actual team is in love with McCann as much as many of the fans seem to be. Because, for one thing...

Even if he can, which of him, Guentzel and Zucker are you happy having on the right? None of them have really shown they're the same player on the right. Obviously you can give him a big role as 3LW who slides up with injuries, but...

Incidentally, my understanding is Poulin is has played quite a lot on the right...

...there is this. If dude is kind of a shit center... where does he slide into the top six even IF he can fix some holes in his game?

I dunno. I hope they don't do stupid stuff in order to try to keep BOTH. That's for sure.

Reactions: Peat

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Purely from an asset management POV, I think using McCann to get rid of JJ (similar to Chicago using Terevainen to dump Bickell or Florida using McCann to dump Bjugstad), re-signing Sheary and running with:

Guentzel-Crosby-Poulin
Zucker-Malkin-Rust
Sheary-Blueger/Bjugstad-Hornqvist
ZAR-Bjugstad/Blueger-Tanev

Is probably the best answer on what to do with the roster for next year. You'll get a much better return on whichever goalie you're trading by not attaching JJ to them. There's also Simon available too, although I'm not exactly sure how his shoulder surgery impacts him.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Man... that's grim.

You are probably right but, much as I don't think McCann is ultimately a fit here... that's brutal. Dude is a good asset.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Man... that's grim.

You are probably right but, much as I don't think McCann is ultimately a fit here... that's brutal. Dude is a good asset.

I don't see how that's a grim lineup at all. That top-6 is stacked and you still have 2 solid 3rd lines in your bottom-6. I don't think McCann becoming redundant due to Blueger at C and Zucker on LW is really much of a negative.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I don't see how that's a grim lineup at all. That top-6 is stacked and you still have 2 solid 3rd lines in your bottom-6. I don't think McCann becoming redundant due to Blueger at C and Zucker on LW is really much of a negative.

No no... not the lineup. The lineup is great, actually. Best top six I've seen on this team in years. Terrific depth and balance. No more JJ to wreck up the dynamics on the blueline.

I just mean it's a grim way to have to use a great asset like McCann. But like I said... you are almost certainly right in the vicinity of what it would take to offload that turd.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Tbf, as long as one of goalie and McCann gets a nice return, using the other to clear JJ is... okay, gross, but still a useful outcome.

I mean... I COULD say what would have been the MOST useful thing to do. Which was not completely losing your damned brain and signing that boat anchor to begin with.

But I wouldn't do that because it's not terribly constructive. But I'm just saying... really dumb. Rob "Gotta Have Him!" Scuderi levels of dumb.

Reactions: EightyOne and Peat

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I selected that quote because I wanted to feature the bits talking about what Rutherford saw about him in the future - he was also talking about Bjugstad having scored a lot of goals in the past too.

To me, the important part here is that Rutherford - at least in public - is happy to talk positively about Bjugstad and his possible contributions to this team and there being a decision still to be made about whether he's here or not next season. I guess I'd still bet not, but it feels a bit of a change in the odds. And there's a potential scenario where it makes sense...

Bonus points for having 4.1m walk off into the sunset when Marino needs paid and freeing up an expansion draft spot.

If the org still sees McCann as a guy who can be a W who plays a lot of minutes, or thinks he's more important than Blueger, than obviously none of this makes sense. But otherwise...

It's pretty undeniable that Rutherford's giving every impression of thinking he could be there, and maybe wants him to be there.

I don't see why it is unpopular. Bleuger should be the long term 3C, he seems to have a McCann like ability to produce when played up the line-up and he likely comes cheaper simply because of his skill set.

Bjugstad is going to be difficult to move due to the surgery, but once he starts playing should at least get a Namestinkov type return if we want to move him.

McCann is our most valuable asset and really has no defined role at the time. I think we are all of the mind set we hope that changes this post season when he puts up a Bonino like performance (with Teddy being our Cullen), but seems to make sense to sell high before investing a ton of money into him and moving him for an ELC, ED protected player if possible.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Purely from an asset management POV, I think using McCann to get rid of JJ (similar to Chicago using Terevainen to dump Bickell or Florida using McCann to dump Bjugstad), re-signing Sheary and running with:

Guentzel-Crosby-Poulin
Zucker-Malkin-Rust
Sheary-Blueger/Bjugstad-Hornqvist
ZAR-Bjugstad/Blueger-Tanev

Is probably the best answer on what to do with the roster for next year. You'll get a much better return on whichever goalie you're trading by not attaching JJ to them. There's also Simon available too, although I'm not exactly sure how his shoulder surgery impacts him.

I think the difference between those deals is we don't need to move McCann. So, I really doubt we have to attach him to JJ who I hate, but is still an NHL defenseman.

If we move McCann with JJ for a 2nd and a 3rd, I don't think that is a quality return tbh. McCann's move should bring in a young NHL ready prospect or comparable NHL talent at RW or RD even with JJ attached.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I don't see why it is unpopular. Bleuger should be the long term 3C, he seems to have a McCann like ability to produce when played up the line-up and he likely comes cheaper simply because of his skill set.

Bjugstad is going to be difficult to move due to the surgery, but once he starts playing should at least get a Namestinkov type return if we want to move him.

McCann is our most valuable asset and really has no defined role at the time. I think we are all of the mind set we hope that changes this post season when he puts up a Bonino like performance (with Teddy being our Cullen), but seems to make sense to sell high before investing a ton of money into him and moving him for an ELC, ED protected player if possible.

Because some people want Bjugstad gone regardless and because some people want to cling onto McCann in case there's another final burst of improvement from him, I guess.

Old Gregg

I'm Old Gregg!!
Apr 13, 2010
How long until we hear Crosby is out with a leg injury after crushing a watermelon with his legs

dogthateats

May 26, 2011
discord.gg
GMJR sees Marino as a future #1 Dman. John Marino won't really be a rookie anymore this summer:...

Letang has been the Penguins’ No. 1 defenseman for precisely a decade, as it’s been 10 years since Sergei Gonchar departed via free agency. The Penguins now believe they have located Letang’s successor, even though the two figure to be teammates for quite some time.
Is Marino’s destiny to become the Penguins’ No. 1 defenseman, and a player who is viewed as a legitimate, No. 1 defenseman around the NHL?
“I believe it is,” Rutherford said. “I do. I really do. No doubt in my mind. He’s just special.”

“I think he’ll be very good on the top power play someday,” Rutherford said. “We don’t put him there now because we have (Letang and Justin Schultz). But he’ll be really good at it. He’s so smart, moves the puck so well, has a good shot. Plus he’s such a great skater. That will come in time.”

“I can’t tell you how he will play this summer for sure because you never know,” Rutherford said. “And I can’t tell you when he’ll become a No. 1 defenseman. But I really believe that he’s good, that he’s on that path. Will it be now? Will it be a year from now? Two, three years from now? I don’t know. But I think that it’s going to happen. He’s got the mental makeup for it, the skating, the hands. He can just do everything. He’ll be a big part of what we do in the playoffs.”

Reactions: Rave7215 and Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
GMJR sees Marino as a future #1 Dman. John Marino won't really be a rookie anymore this summer:...

Letang has been the Penguins’ No. 1 defenseman for precisely a decade, as it’s been 10 years since Sergei Gonchar departed via free agency. The Penguins now believe they have located Letang’s successor, even though the two figure to be teammates for quite some time.
Is Marino’s destiny to become the Penguins’ No. 1 defenseman, and a player who is viewed as a legitimate, No. 1 defenseman around the NHL?
“I believe it is,” Rutherford said. “I do. I really do. No doubt in my mind. He’s just special.”

“I think he’ll be very good on the top power play someday,” Rutherford said. “We don’t put him there now because we have (Letang and Justin Schultz). But he’ll be really good at it. He’s so smart, moves the puck so well, has a good shot. Plus he’s such a great skater. That will come in time.”

“I can’t tell you how he will play this summer for sure because you never know,” Rutherford said. “And I can’t tell you when he’ll become a No. 1 defenseman. But I really believe that he’s good, that he’s on that path. Will it be now? Will it be a year from now? Two, three years from now? I don’t know. But I think that it’s going to happen. He’s got the mental makeup for it, the skating, the hands. He can just do everything. He’ll be a big part of what we do in the playoffs.”

high praise indeed! Hopefully JR hasn’t jinxed the kid...

Reactions: dogthateats

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Dumoulin-Letang and Pettersson-Marino is going to be a nasty good top-4 D group for a long time if JR re-signs Letang after his current deal is done. I hope JR gives Marino a big extension this off-season, sign him to the Parayko deal now instead of him possibly asking for more next off-season.

Reactions: EVGENIMERLIN

EVGENIMERLIN

Jun 29, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Dumoulin-Letang and Pettersson-Marino is going to be a nasty good top-4 D group for a long time if JR re-signs Letang after his current deal is done. I hope JR gives Marino a big extension this off-season, sign him to the Parayko deal now instead of him possibly asking for more next off-season.

I read on the Athletic JR and Staff see POJ as the right side 3rd Dman for the future so just need a to fill out that left side and we have a pretty damn solid and relatively young D Core.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA

Yet another example of JR needing to shut his mouth.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I read on the Athletic JR and Staff see POJ as the right side 3rd Dman for the future so just need a to fill out that left side and we have a pretty damn solid and relatively young D Core.

POJ is a leftie. I think either you misremembered this or they made a typo.

Reactions: EVGENIMERLIN

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think it's safe to assume that the Penguins are planning on their defense being Dumoulin-Letang, MP-Marino and POJ with a RD. I don't know who that RD would be, they don't really have any RD prospects coming up that I think would fit there (I think Gudbranson would have been a great fit there, but whatever). I think Rielly is their only RD prospect too. POJ is in the same mold as Pettersson (lanky 2-way D that skates well and has a good outlet pass), so you probably need a similar complement for POJ as you would need for Pettersson.

I certainly don't miss Gudbranson because he had an ass contract, but someone exactly like Gudbranson would be a welcome addition for that bottom pair. Gudbranson actually had a fairly solid season with the Ducks this year, with being basically fine at ES and being great on the PK in terms of analytics while playing 20 minutes a night against 2nd pair competition. In hindsight, it may have been smarter to move Marino or Schultz to LD for a year and trade JJ instead of moving Gudbranson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad