The All Purpose Pens Off Day(s?) Thread - Injuries, Practice, Injuries, Lines, More Injuries, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
The days of a guy like ZAR (or Nuke, who I know nothing about) winning it are long gone. For argument's sake, let's assume Nuke and ZAR are both good defensively. They're still not in the same company as Bergeron, Kopitar, O'Reilly, Couturier, etc.

Well..

#1. They are wings. Which even if you are prime Hossa driving the hell out of the top line on the way to two Cups and a WCF you aren’t winning a Selke.

#2. It’s probably the laziest researched award by the media and they just go off reputation, faceoffs and points. It’s just like the Norris with reputation, +/- and points.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
The only real argument I see for not considering guys like ZAR for the Selke is minutes. Gotta consider the guys taking the bigger role more. Also opposition, and ZAR's level of competition dropped off during the season.

But if it's about defensive impact - and it should be - he should at least be talked about. And the answer as to why he isn't, and guys like him, is that most guys voting simply don't do much research and focus heavily on know names.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Well..

#1. They are wings. Which even if you are prime Hossa driving the hell out of the top line on the way to two Cups and a WCF you aren’t winning a Selke.

And he still isn't close to Marian Hossa. And that's my stance on him. He's good defensively, but not as good defensively - and certainly not offensively - as the bigger names.

#2. It’s probably the laziest researched award by the media and they just go off reputation, faceoffs and points. It’s just like the Norris with reputation, +/- and points.

It's definitely comes down to reputation when it comes to casting votes. So yes, they might not give it to the most deserving player every year. However, most of the nominees deserve the recognition.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I’m on the ZAR-drives-me-crazy side of the argument, but I have to admit I don’t think the decline in Bleuger/Tanev play (especially on the defensive side) when ZAR got hurt was mere coincidence.

Yeah you don’t have to like him and there is a lot of hate (maybe that’s too strong of a word) for him.

But yeah it’s fair to say he’s an effective bottom 6 role player for our team. No one that’s not getting a game has proven to be better in his role as yet and Sully wants that role to be part of our game plan at the moment.

I really didn’t like Sheahan here but he was an effective bottom 6’er here (for the most part) as well but I’m glad we moved on.

Reactions: Al Smith

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Doubt it. I think they move Burky before him tbh.
It would be stupid for the Avs to trade Burakovsky, but I do think Murray ends up in Colorado and as a fan of Nuke (before Rust & Geno became magical, he was the guy I wanted for Geno's line for a few yrs), I would probably go after Nuke, Grubauer, and a pick for Murray and unload JJ in that deal as well.

I think the guy the Avs let "walk" or "move" is Zadorov, a guy I wouldn't be shocked if they even tried to add them to the Pens deal for Murray (and JJ). That team NEEDS to keep Burakovsky and Namestnikov, they need depth behind Ranta, Mack, and Lando.

I would even think Donskoi and Compher would be moved before they did Namestnikov and Burakovsky, you can find cheaper replacements to fill that roster to replace Donskoi and Compher.

Whether the Pens keep Grubauer is insignificant to me, I mean if it were between him and DeSmith, I don't really care. Obviously Grubby has the better track record of being a regular NHL'er that you can rely on, DeSmith has a shorter one and is a fan favorite and a good locker room guy that the team is familiar with, but it all boils down to the cap too, Grubby and DeSmith would be easy to move after acquiring them.

MayorofWBS

Apr 14, 2015
Mars
It would be stupid for the Avs to trade Burakovsky, but I do think Murray ends up in Colorado and as a fan of Nuke (before Rust & Geno became magical, he was the guy I wanted for Geno's line for a few yrs), I would probably go after Nuke, Grubauer, and a pick for Murray and unload JJ in that deal as well.
:ha: better ask for lube too

PS - They will never take JJ

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Just chatting with one of my neighbours who is an artist and I remember seeing a big portrait of Jarry in her window one day. She actually painted it and it was for him as she has known him and their family a long time. He picked it up and took it back home.

His house/farm is in Edmonton which was strange to me since Vancouver (Where he grew up) seems much nicer. She said he made a lot of close friends there while playing with the Oil Kings and is still really close with the family he stayed with.

She is going to email me pictures so I’ll post them when I get them. She mentioned he was called back a while ago and thinks he is in Pittsburgh now.

She had the highest praise for him as a person and said he’s really good friends with Matt Murray too. I think there is some paintings she did for him hanging up in the local grocery store owned by his Dad and Uncle.

Reactions: cvrle1 and Peat

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Here are Jarry’s paintings

45p6sp.jpg

45p6wf.jpg

cvrle1

Jun 24, 2017
Just chatting with one of my neighbours who is an artist and I remember seeing a big portrait of Jarry in her window one day. She actually painted it and it was for him as she has known him and their family a long time. He picked it up and took it back home.

His house/farm is in Edmonton which was strange to me since Vancouver (Where he grew up) seems much nicer. She said he made a lot of close friends there while playing with the Oil Kings and is still really close with the family he stayed with.

She is going to email me pictures so I’ll post them when I get them. She mentioned he was called back a while ago and thinks he is in Pittsburgh now.

She had the highest praise for him as a person and said he’s really good friends with Matt Murray too. I think there is some paintings she did for him hanging up in the local grocery store owned by his Dad and Uncle.

Vancouver is much nicer, thats for sure. We dont have snow in June and winters are much milder than in Alberta in general. We do get more rain though, but I'll take it. I dont think he could afford to live in Vancouver, it is damn expensive to buy anything remotely close to the city that isnt a shoe box. Once he has new contract he will be able to afford it though, not before haha.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Vancouver is much nicer, thats for sure. We dont have snow in June and winters are much milder than in Alberta in general. We do get more rain though, but I'll take it. I dont think he could afford to live in Vancouver, it is damn expensive to buy anything remotely close to the city that isnt a shoe box. Once he has new contract he will be able to afford it though, not before haha.

Yeah that’s true about what he could buy too. He’s not getting a bunch of farm land and fixing up a house cheap in Vancouver. Plus he’s happy in Edmonton with his social circle and it’s pretty close to home (Vancouver) to visit family for a few weeks of the year.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada

Edmonton is a dump, personally would never live there. Also wouldnt live in Vancouver either for that matter, traffic there is terrible. Jarry was a bit of a legend for the Oil Kings though. He did a lot of charity events down in Calgary as well. Never met him personally but have been told hes a very outstanding and classy individual.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

Vancouver was one of the last major Canadian city that I had never been to (missing Ottawa still but...lolz). Beautiful city. I only got to spend a day there before we left for Sonora Island but I could definitely return someday. Perhaps the next time the Pens visit.

Reactions: cvrle1

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Some interesting tidbits in Yohe's most recent in the Athletic

- Pens have about the highest attendance at these optional pre-camp skates in the whole NHL.

- Bjugstad might be available if it's a long playoff run but Rutherford wants to be careful due to the surgeries

- Rutherford says Bjugstad is a "good player" who'll "score a lot of goals in the future" and the playoffs might determine his future here

- Rutherford on Poulin: “We’ll see how camp goes,” Rutherford said. “He deserves to be in camp, I’ll say that. He had a very good year in juniors. He’s strong. He’s built. He’s strong enough to play in our league right now. We just have to see if there’s a way for him to fit in and see how he plays during camp. I think he deserves a lot of credit for the way he’s played and he deserves the chance to be at our camp. So that’s what he’s going to get.”

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
- Rutherford on Poulin: “We’ll see how camp goes,” Rutherford said. “He deserves to be in camp, I’ll say that. He had a very good year in juniors. He’s strong. He’s built. He’s strong enough to play in our league right now. We just have to see if there’s a way for him to fit in and see how he plays during camp. I think he deserves a lot of credit for the way he’s played and he deserves the chance to be at our camp. So that’s what he’s going to get.”

More and more reason to believe he'll be on the team next year, but I'm being a broken record about that :laugh:

His comments about Bjugstad are interesting, though. I suppose it is possible that they trade McCann and have Blueger and Bjugstad as their bottom-6 centers for next year. Bjugstad's deal is done after next year, so having him as the 4C for 1 year isn't a huge issue. Make Blueger the 3C, have Bjugstad as the 4C for 1 year and have Lafferty take Bjugstad's spot after next year or something like that.

Reactions: Peat
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad