Pre-Game Talk: The All Purpose Off Day Thread - It's Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
No no no. Remember he did nothing to help win those cups. “He had a team in front of him that blocked everything and he’s got a bad glove hand!” You have to stick to the narrative :sarcasm:

MAF got the team to the playoffs/through early rounds...

..because...

...Murray was hurt! Boom! Narrative THAT!

Reactions: Badfish87

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Interesting. I don't think DeSmith is very good to be honest, but the numbers say I'm wrong. Jarry looks like a young guy with a ton of potential, but just hasn't put it all together.

The call to keep DeSmith as back up makes sense because his upside is lower and downside is probably higher as a back up. That said, if Murray is out for an extended length of time, I want Jarry getting the bulk of the starts.

Sully talked about De Smith last season saying he’s a guy that can go on real hot streaks. Consistency is why he’s not a starter and his numbers were probably better because the timing was right.

I agree about Jarry starting if it’s longer term although it’d be shared more I imagine

Reactions: Shady Machine

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
MAF got the team to the playoffs/through early rounds...

..because...

...Murray was hurt! Boom! Narrative THAT!

I didn’t realize Fleury played through all of the first cup run to. Oh that’s right he only played one game and that led to us having to win out against Tampa.... but let me guess that’s not relevant because it was 2 years ago? Or the even more popular “Fleury had no help!!!”

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
I didn’t realize Fleury played through all of the first cup run to. Oh that’s right he only played one game and that led to us having to win out against Tampa.... but let me guess that’s not relevant because it was 2 years ago? Or the even more popular “Fleury had no help!!!”

Breh. Just like it repels plaque, MAF's smile from the bench repelled pucks for Murray.

tumblr_llfcpyZliv1qbuetb.jpg

Reactions: Peat

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Not gonna lie. I'm starting to get a bit beyond frustrated with Murray. Between his injuries and his inconsistent to downright bad play, I'm beginning to get worried.

If he ends up turning into a pumpkin, whether it's because of either of the two aforementioned issues, that will just about shut the door on the Crosby/Malkin era. That is unless Jarry can step up.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
Not gonna lie. I'm starting to get a bit beyond frustrated with Murray. Between his injuries and his inconsistent to downright bad play, I'm beginning to get worried.

If he ends up turning into a pumpkin, whether it's because of either of the two aforementioned issues, that will just about shut the door on the Crosby/Malkin era. That is unless Jarry can step up.

The concussion issues worry me for sure. I firmly believe he will return to form if he stays healthy

MrBurghundy

Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
The concussion issues worry me for sure. I firmly believe he will return to form if he stays healthy
I hope he does too, but those first 2 games aren't very reassuring.

All I'll say is he has a lot to prove this season, and it started off in pretty much the worst possible way anyone could imagine.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh

Nah. Goaltending is becoming an increasingly volatile position. All it takes is a competent 'tender to go on a hot streak at the right time. If this team is playing to its potential come April, we'll need someone to not lose games as opposed to steal games, more often than not.

Of course, if the team defense continues its current trend, we're f***ed either way.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

Just keep that recorded and put on play: "I firmly believe he will return to form if he stays healthy." It's going on my tape-recorder, along with "shoot the **** puck" and "no one is bothering to play defense" and "Letang needs to stop with the brain farts"....

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I'm not really worried about Murray's ability to bounce back. It's up in the air, but I think the odds of him regaining his form are better than the odds of him turning into a new Raycroft.

But I am really, really worried about his durability issues. The dude's hurt all the time.

Reactions: Peat

MrBurghundy

Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Nah. Goaltending is becoming an increasingly volatile position. All it takes is a competent 'tender to go on a hot streak at the right time. If this team is playing to its potential come April, we'll need someone to not lose games as opposed to steal games, more often than not.

Of course, if the team defense continues its current trend, we're ****ed either way.
That sword cuts in both directions though. If you don't have a proven starter, the likely hood of a guy going on a hot streak is a lot smaller than a guy who is.

You can't just have any random goalie back there and hope they get hot if your desire is to win a Cup.

Reactions: EightyOne

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
That sword cuts in both directions though. If you don't have a proven starter, the likely hood of a guy going on a hot streak is a lot smaller than a guy who is.

You can't just have any random goalie back there and hope they get hot if your desire is to win a Cup.

Agreed, the odds are smaller and it's not an ideal position to be in. It's also not a "door is slammed shut" situation either, which is what I was specifically referring to.

MrBurghundy

Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
I'm not really worried about Murray's ability to bounce back. It's up in the air, but I think the odds of him regaining his form are better than the odds of him turning into a new Raycroft.

But I am really, really worried about his durability issues. The dude's hurt all the time.
What about a Steve Mason?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Well if it's all on Matt and with his injury history now and coming off the season he just had...if Jarry doesn't "wow" the brass, JR and Buckley better start putting together a short list of who they'd like(thats gettable) outside the org.

Bottom line is this roster needs competent goaltending. The roster this time next season could look significantly weaker and Sid/G ain't gettin' younger.

They should but, unless willing to make outrageous overpays, it's going to be really short of anything other than 1Bs. In fact, I can pretty much tell you it now:

1) Pray that Bobrovsky reaches free agency and bury him in money
2) Ditto, except with Varlamov/Talbot

I guess there's a few other free agency options. But there are no trade ones. And the good ones either mean moving on from Murray then and there orrrr trashing some roster depth, and the bad ones kinda just leave us where we are.

Just keep that recorded and put on play: "I firmly believe he will return to form if he stays healthy." It's going on my tape-recorder, along with "shoot the **** puck" and "no one is bothering to play defense" and "Letang needs to stop with the brain farts"....

25% of the way there in 2018! (I take no responsibility for this post when we lose the next game due to Letang shooting it into his own net".)

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I think JR and Co's decision to not bring in a veteran backup for Murray will be put to the test now, depending on how long Murray is out. Jarry/DeSmith better be up to the task.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I think JR and Co's decision to not bring in a veteran backup for Murray will be put to the test now, depending on how long Murray is out. Jarry/DeSmith better be up to the task.

Couldn't you argue that JR made the right idea to move Gust instead of Jarry last year due to Murray's injuries? If anything - credit for that.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Couldn't you argue that JR made the right idea to move Gust instead of Jarry last year due to Murray's injuries? If anything - credit for that.

Yeah, for sure. But at the same time, was going into this season with DeSmith as the backup the best idea, given Murray's struggles/injury concerns?

Especially when a guy like McIlheney (sp) was put on waivers by the Leafs, maybe JR should have looked at picking him up or tossing them a 7th round pick so they could get him before he was put on waivers.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Yeah, for sure. But at the same time, was going into this season with DeSmith as the backup the best idea, given Murray's struggles/injury concerns?

Especially when a guy like McIlheney (sp) was put on waivers by the Leafs, maybe JR should have looked at picking him up or tossing them a 7th round pick so they could get him before he was put on waivers.

It just sucks regardless. We flat out don't win a Cup without Murray in 2016. We don't win a Cup without both Fleury and Murray in 2017. He was a huge part of our 2 Cups. Last year sucked as he lost his father and we ran into a brick wall mentally/physically.

This was supposed to be a growth year. Mentally, spiritually, etc. And.......... concussion after 2 brutal games. Not the start he wanted. I just hope he has mental strength. Dig deep and get back. And no matter what happens, he will be defined as injury prone from here on out. It sucks but it is what it is.

It really sucks.

Reactions: Warm Cookies

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
It just sucks regardless. We flat out don't win a Cup without Murray in 2016. We don't win a Cup without both Fleury and Murray in 2017. He was a huge part of our 2 Cups. Last year sucked as he lost his father and we ran into a brick wall mentally/physically.

This was supposed to be a growth year. Mentally, spiritually, etc. And.......... concussion after 2 brutal games. Not the start he wanted. I just hope he has mental strength. Dig deep and get back. And no matter what happens, he will be defined as injury prone from here on out. It sucks but it is what it is.

It really sucks.

On a side tangent, the bolded is exactly why I will always scoff at folks who question Murray's performance as a Pen, even if he does end up being a flash in the pan. You hear stuff like, "the next Cam Ward". My answer to that is, so what? Whether he has a Ward-like career or has a Brodeur-like career, you can't take away the fact he was a critical part of winning 2 Cups.

Reactions: ColePens
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad