Pre-Game Talk: The All Purpose Off Day Thread - It's Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
I predicted "Band-Aid Boy with mediocre stats" in the "Project MM 5 years from now" thread a few years ago. People were not happy.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I predicted "Band-Aid Boy with mediocre stats" in the "Project MM 5 years from now" thread a few years ago. People were not happy.

Still the right move to keep him even if he ends up being that. You act with the information you have at the time and nothing indicated his play would fall off and that injuries would continue to plague him.

Maf had yet another concussion last year as well so he's not exactly injury free either.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
On a side tangent, the bolded is exactly why I will always scoff at folks who question Murray's performance as a Pen, even if he does end up being a flash in the pan. You hear stuff like, "the next Cam Ward". My answer to that is, so what? Whether he has a Ward-like career or has a Brodeur-like career, you can't take away the fact he was a critical part of winning 2 Cups.

Preach. Preach. Preach. He and credit to MAF for 2009/half of 2017 solidified the Geno/Sid era. That stamp will never be taken off this era. To me - that is good enough. Anything else, which we all agreed, would be a cherry on top.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Yeah, for sure. But at the same time, was going into this season with DeSmith as the backup the best idea, given Murray's struggles/injury concerns?

Especially when a guy like McIlheney (sp) was put on waivers by the Leafs, maybe JR should have looked at picking him up or tossing them a 7th round pick so they could get him before he was put on waivers.

My guess is Jarry's the real back-up and they didn't want to muddy the waters too much.

It just sucks regardless. We flat out don't win a Cup without Murray in 2016. We don't win a Cup without both Fleury and Murray in 2017. He was a huge part of our 2 Cups. Last year sucked as he lost his father and we ran into a brick wall mentally/physically.

This was supposed to be a growth year. Mentally, spiritually, etc. And.......... concussion after 2 brutal games. Not the start he wanted. I just hope he has mental strength. Dig deep and get back. And no matter what happens, he will be defined as injury prone from here on out. It sucks but it is what it is.

It really sucks.

On the plus side - if/when he fights his way back from this, he'll know his mental strength is amazing. Adversity is what you make of it and all that.

Also maybe gives him a spell to have a look at what's going on round the league, how the other guys do, work out what he needs to do himself. Let some other poor sod get bombed while the team remembers how to play defence.

Reactions: ColePens

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
On a side tangent, the bolded is exactly why I will always scoff at folks who question Murray's performance as a Pen, even if he does end up being a flash in the pan. You hear stuff like, "the next Cam Ward". My answer to that is, so what? Whether he has a Ward-like career or has a Brodeur-like career, you can't take away the fact he was a critical part of winning 2 Cups.

Those folks you scoff at don’t actually believe he was critical to them winning the cup in either year and will constantly try to discredit him for that. My brother is one of those people and it drives me insane

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Is Jarry the guy to own now? Pittsburgh seems a lot higher on Jarry and it looks like he was just in the AHL because he was waiver exempt and hurt.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Is Jarry the guy to own now? Pittsburgh seems a lot higher on Jarry and it looks like he was just in the AHL because he was waiver exempt and hurt.

Job is up for grabs. Both will get a chance to run with it.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I thought you were a Vegas fan, why are you still posting here?

I really don't get the doom and gloom when it comes to the Penguins goalies. They have a good NHL ready goalie prospect in Jarry and a guy who has pretty consistently performed well in the pro levels in DeSmith. It's not like they go from Murray to some AHL scrub, they have NHL caliber goalies. It's the same thing with their LWers, until these two show they can't do it, I don't know why anyone would worry about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Peat

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Tonight in HFPens: Whose Love is More Annoying | pixiesfanyo and Kris Letang vs. Ragamuffin Gunner and Marc Andre Fleury.

A real David vs Goliath match if ever I saw one. I don't know why he hasn't been put on Ignore by the entire board.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I should note this, Jarry had 5 really bad outings last season in 26 games. In those 5 outings, he gave up 21 goals on 100 shots, which gave him a .790 save%. In the rest of the outings, he gave up 42 goals on 587 shots, which gave him a save% of .928. Just throwing that out there, I don't think Jarry's .908 save% paints an accurate picture for how he did in Pittsburgh last year. My thoughts for that are supported by those splits and his quality start% being well above average.

Reactions: Peat

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I thought you were a Vegas fan, why are you still posting here?

I really don't get the doom and gloom when it comes to the Penguins goalies. They have a good NHL ready goalie prospect in Jarry and a guy who has pretty consistently performed well in the pro levels in DeSmith. It's not like they go from Murray to some AHL scrub, they have NHL caliber goalies. It's the same thing with their LWers, until these two show they can't do it, I don't know why anyone would worry about it.

I generally agree, although I'd probably prefer a vet back up option to DeSmith. It's a lot of guys without a lot of NHL experience and calm presence to help through the storms.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I generally agree, although I'd probably prefer a vet back up option to DeSmith. It's a lot of guys without a lot of NHL experience and calm presence to help through the storms.

I'd rather see DeSmith and Jarry prove they can't be the backups before bringing in a veteran backup. Same way with Simon on the 3rd line, until he fails there, I don't see the point of bringing in someone else.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I should note this, Jarry had 5 really bad outings last season in 26 games. In those 5 outings, he gave up 21 goals on 100 shots, which gave him a .790 save%. In the rest of the outings, he gave up 42 goals on 587 shots, which gave him a save% of .928. Just throwing that out there, I don't think Jarry's .908 save% paints an accurate picture for how he did in Pittsburgh last year. My thoughts for that are supported by those splits and his quality start% being well above average.

If I recall correctly our goalies had pretty different stats from home and away. Which probably had more to do with the team.

Jarry is young too so you are going to see the really bad games from time to time. I can’t see him not being an NHL starter eventually. He’s kind of a mix between Murray and Fleury. If he can progress well enough might be a chance to beat out Murray.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I'd rather see DeSmith and Jarry prove they can't be the backups before bringing in a veteran backup. Same way with Simon on the 3rd line, until he fails there, I don't see the point of bringing in someone else.

Totally fine. My point is having a vet back up that has a good relationship with Murray could help calm things down. JR tried with Niemi and that was a dumpster fire so I'm not all that worked up about it.

Jarry I'd keep in AHL until you know Murray is out for a period of time and give him the reigns and let vet back up sit.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If I recall correctly our goalies had pretty different stats from home and away. Which probably had more to do with the team.

Jarry is young too so you are going to see the really bad games from time to time. I can’t see him not being an NHL starter eventually. He’s kind of a mix between Murray and Fleury. If he can progress well enough might be a chance to beat out Murray.

Jarry's home and road splits aren't actually that different, he was the only Penguins goalie that wasn't different (.909 vs a .908). The 5 bad games I'm referring to were 2 home games and 3 away games. DeSmith did have a very big difference (.937 save% in 7 home games, .903 save% in 7 away games), but when you're looking at a 14 game sample size, it makes sense why it's that different. DeSmith let in 3 goals on 5 shots in Boston last year, those 5 shots took his away save% from a .919 to a .903. Murray was also very different, Murray actually had a .915 save% in Pittsburgh last year. It's just that he had a .896 save% in away games that killed him.

Reactions: Tom Hanks
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad