Pre-Game Talk: The All Purpose Off Day Thread - It's Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
The season couldn't have started worse for Murray or the defense. But as per the usual, i'm going to bring some positivity!

1) Thank GOD this is happening early in the season. Adversity early can be good. There are enough examples w/o having me go through them.

2) I always say if a spotlight is on an issue, it will get fixed (unless you are Mike Tomlin). There is a spotlight right away. This gives plenty of time for the fix.

3) Letang has been awesome. He's the guy we need to be awesome. The other 5 can figure it out and get better.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Better look at it

Sure hope Jarry and DeSmith pan out into legitimate, NHL-caliber goalies. It definitely looks like we're going to be going with a goaltender by committee for the foreseeable future, if for no reason other than the fact that Murray's always struggling with some kind of injury.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Didn't DeSmith/Jarry play well last year? I'd have to look up stats, but I thought they handled themselves just fine.

Reactions: Peat

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
He got hit pretty hard by Brendan Gallagher after Gallagher scored his goal Saturday night. Wouldn't shock me if that instance was the culprit.

I forgot about that. Usually Murray comes out of games quickly when he thinks he's hurt so I'm surprised he stayed in after that.

But maybe he didn't have symptoms until after the game. Not unheard of.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Didn't DeSmith/Jarry play well last year? I'd have to look up stats, but I thought they handled themselves just fine.

I mean, they played during our worse stretch of the season. But, I’m not sure that wasn’t partially on them. I assume we see Jarry come up and take the reigns.

Whatever, like you said at least it is happening now and we see what we have in Jarry.

That being said Murray is officially a question mark.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I just read an article that said Murray stayed out on the ice for 2 hours yesterday. I guess it took that long for concussion symptoms to show up.

I know head injuries are tough to prevent, but the injury bug with him is getting a bit frustrating if I'm being honest.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
This is Murray's third (?) concussion, on top of the weird lower body injury last season (groin or knee? can't remember). He's only 23, that's concerning for sure.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Desmith 6w 4l 1OTL 920 save %
Jarry 14w 6l 2OTL 908 save %

I assume Pixie is being sarcastic because they played fairly well but I dunno

Weird how DeSmith posted the better stats but less wins. Just one of those things I guess.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
The season couldn't have started worse for Murray or the defense. But as per the usual, i'm going to bring some positivity!

1) Thank GOD this is happening early in the season. Adversity early can be good. There are enough examples w/o having me go through them.

2) I always say if a spotlight is on an issue, it will get fixed (unless you are Mike Tomlin). There is a spotlight right away. This gives plenty of time for the fix.

3) Letang has been awesome. He's the guy we need to be awesome. The other 5 can figure it out and get better.

Agreed. And I think Desmith/Jarry are good enough to buoy us, but it will require the team actually playing well in front of them.

Play careless and they'll get exposed badly.

The other glass half full take is this will force the Pens to tighten up defensively. Because if they don't, losses will pile up.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I know DeSmith's numbers looked solid last year, but I still don't trust the guy. He doesn't instill a lot of confidence with his style IMO. Jarry has the look of a starter, but just needs more reps and time to work through the kinks. Hopefully this team can get their collective shit together on defense to support the goalies.

Hockey Freak 7

Kris Letang to another team. GOAT CROSBY 4 HART
Apr 1, 2018

Fourth to fifth concussion for Murray in two years .
I like Murray, I really do!! His health ,consistency to be a starter and durability is a big question mark!!
I don’t know if he can play that long.
It will be a long season.

Rutherford should have pick up a veteran back up goalie
It knew pens needed it..
Pickard ( I like Pickard he play great when Colorado were bad)
Mchinney
Budaj

Too late til TDL

I have faith (kind)in DeSmith and Jarry but they do need a good veteran in the pipe. They did good last season. This can help Jarry show more himself.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Yeah I dunno that was weird to me too. Sample size I guess.

Looking at the stats - DeSmith had two good games in losses to NJ, who we couldn't score against to save our life, as well as to SJ and Toronto - also had 4 wins with 1 goal or less conceded. Jarry was very good in nearly all of our wins but when he lost, tended to lose big.

I feel the latter's particularly relevant with Jarry. His ability's undoubted, he just needs to develop consistency.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
I know DeSmith's numbers looked solid last year, but I still don't trust the guy. He doesn't instill a lot of confidence with his style IMO. Jarry has the look of a starter, but just needs more reps and time to work through the kinks. Hopefully this team can get their collective **** together on defense to support the goalies.

I'm kinda the opposite TBH. Jarry was giving me a Zatkoff vibe by the end there. Though Jarry was excellent this preseason. Last season DeSmith was a much better goalie, and I love that glove hand, he also moves better while down then any of the 3 (murray/jarry/desmith). Of course I just jinxed things and next game he will get scorched high glove numerous times ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad