Pre-Game Talk: The All Purpose Off Day Thread - It's Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011

Fourth to fifth concussion for Murray in two years .
I like Murray, I really do!! His health ,consistency to be a starter and durability is a big question mark!!
I don’t know if he can play that long.
It will be a long season.

Rutherford should have pick up a veteran back up goalie
It knew pens needed it..
Pickard ( I like Pickard he play great when Colorado were bad)
Mchinney
Budaj

Too late til TDL

I have faith (kind)in DeSmith and Jarry but they do need a good veteran in the pipe. They did good last season. This can help Jarry show more himself.

We've been keeping track of injuries for a few seasons now. You can check out the spreadsheet here. It's also linked in the injury thread, which is stickied.
A recap ...
2016 Playoffs: 1 Game UBI
2016-17: 6 Games Broken Hand + 2 Games LBI + 11 Games LBI = 19 Games. He wasn't the official starter yet, though.
2017-18: 6 Games LBI + 1 Game Undisclosed + 6 Games Personal (Father's death) + 9 Games Concussion = 22 Games, 16 due to injury.

So, 1 reported concussion, 2 possible concussions. Those links go to each season's spreadsheet and each injury entry has a link back to the reporting Tweet.

EDIT:
I don't have info from W-B/S since I don't track that. Also, with Goalies, games missed isn't totally accurate since they don't play every game anyway.

Last edited:

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I'm kinda the opposite TBH. Jarry was giving me a Zatkoff vibe by the end there. Though Jarry was excellent this preseason. Last season DeSmith was a much better goalie, and I love that glove hand, he also moves better while down then any of the 3 (murray/jarry/desmith). Of course I just jinxed things and next game he will get scorched high glove numerous times ;)

Interesting. I don't think DeSmith is very good to be honest, but the numbers say I'm wrong. Jarry looks like a young guy with a ton of potential, but just hasn't put it all together.

The call to keep DeSmith as back up makes sense because his upside is lower and downside is probably higher as a back up. That said, if Murray is out for an extended length of time, I want Jarry getting the bulk of the starts.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011

Plain text version:
Guentzel-Crosby-Hornqvist
Hagelin-Malkin-Kessel
Simon-Brassard-Rust
Cullen-Sheahan-Sprong

Dumoulin-Letang
Johnson-Schultz
Oleksiak-Riikola
Maatta-Ruhwedel

Reactions: Peat

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Murray is hurt... again? Dammit...

Is it time to give Jarry a shot at stealing that job? I love Matty and he is still very young, but the injuries and the overall regression are concerning.

I mean, every time Jarry is up he has a shot at doing so, or at least making progress. Its up to Jarry to take those shots and there's not a lot of point trying to force things if he's not doing so.

dogthateats

May 26, 2011
discord.gg
Idk I feel pretty confident with Jarry or DeSmith. I thought they both looked great in preseason and decent in their respective stints last season. Is it possible that they are benching Oleksiak and not Maatta, and playing Ruhwedel over Riikola? I hope not.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
I mean, every time Jarry is up he has a shot at doing so, or at least making progress. Its up to Jarry to take those shots and there's not a lot of point trying to force things if he's not doing so.

I agree he needs to take advantage of opportunities, but my point was mostly that it might be time to challenge Murray. Do not treat him as the defacto starter anymore. I know he earned it, but he is not delivering right now (and is now hurt).

I love the guy and want him to succeed, but the team has a limited window and this year might be the year we ice the best roster for the rest of Sid's and Geno's career, we cannot waste it on a goalie finding himself on the IR most often than not.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
What really concerns me, and I didn't get into this in the article because I didn't want it to be 10,000 words, but the team isn't playing their structure in a fundamentally sound fashion at all.

Great examples against Montreal. The Penguins run a 1-2-2, right? Well, those middle "2" in front of the defense were being fairly liberal with their alignment in the structure. For my money, and this speaks directly to your point earlier, they're too "east/west" with their alignment. In a standard 1-2-2, the middle and outside get clogged by the structure. The Penguins are pushing too far wide, opening up lanes on the far side of the ice, and allowing teams to skate right through them and come at the back two defenseman with possession and speed.
we all see this, even with our lame untrained eye, any indication that Coaching staff recognizes this?

Doogle

Jun 8, 2010
8 injuries, in only one full season as a starter, one as a co starter, and one as a largely a backup save playoffs. He's Beau Bennett in pads.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
IJnxZ3w.gif

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
we all see this, even with our lame untrained eye, any indication that Coaching staff recognizes this?

No, not at all, the really lengthy video session Sully held was actually him showing off the stuff he made for his kids' birthday parties :sarcasm:

Reactions: EightyOne

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
No, not at all, the really lengthy video session Sully held was actually him showing off the stuff he made for his kids' birthday parties :sarcasm:

So boring. It's why Murray fell asleep and hit his head on the desk.

Letang and Geno were last seen eating paste covered pasta.

Sid painted a Mona Lisa with his offhand backhand.

Pretty normal session.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Idk I feel pretty confident with Jarry or DeSmith. I thought they both looked great in preseason and decent in their respective stints last season. Is it possible that they are benching Oleksiak and not Maatta, and playing Ruhwedel over Riikola? I hope not.

Naw.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I agree he needs to take advantage of opportunities, but my point was mostly that it might be time to challenge Murray. Do not treat him as the defacto starter anymore. I know he earned it, but he is not delivering right now (and is now hurt).

I love the guy and want him to succeed, but the team has a limited window and this year might be the year we ice the best roster for the rest of Sid's and Geno's career, we cannot waste it on a goalie finding himself on the IR most often than not.

If - if you actually have something to challenge him with, and aren't just waving a paper tiger at him - maybe. Wouldn't rule it out.

But right now, I think they should bet everything on Murray and accept that if it goes wrong, it goes wrong, because he's the only goaltender I'd really trust in the playoffs. If Jarry's looking like a challenger when Murray comes back, that's different. But until he does it, he's a paper tiger.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
If - if you actually have something to challenge him with, and aren't just waving a paper tiger at him - maybe. Wouldn't rule it out.

But right now, I think they should bet everything on Murray and accept that if it goes wrong, it goes wrong, because he's the only goaltender I'd really trust in the playoffs. If Jarry's looking like a challenger when Murray comes back, that's different. But until he does it, he's a paper tiger.

Fair enough.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009

Well if it's all on Matt and with his injury history now and coming off the season he just had...if Jarry doesn't "wow" the brass, JR and Buckley better start putting together a short list of who they'd like(thats gettable) outside the org.

Bottom line is this roster needs competent goaltending. The roster this time next season could look significantly weaker and Sid/G ain't gettin' younger.

Doogle

Jun 8, 2010
Well, he won us two Cups. So, he’s a lil different.

And those were great. But two cups shouldn't cause one to blatantly ignore the fact that he clearly has a penchant for getting injured. And hopefully management isn't saying 'well he won two cups so we don't need to worry about the long term outlook for our goaltending situation despite eight injuries in what barely qualifies as three seasons'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad