Pre-Game Talk: The All Purpose Off Day Thread | DeSmith Re-assigned, Jarry Recalled

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I cant speak to ZARs game tbis year other than training camp where he looked like Tangradi. Hopefully he brings something better. Tbis is a huge game

Reactions: KIRK and Andy99

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
I’ll probably miss tonights game.

I just realized I will have missed: Sprong and ZAR’s first games up this season :(

Reactions: farscape1

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Curious to see where they put him.
Sully/Recch's have been mixing and matching so much(especially throwing Sid/G out there more), he'll probably get shifts with everyone tho.

I'm thinking they start him on the 3rd line and elevate Phil or Jake with G.

Personally i'd do this:

Jake-Sid-Simon
Hags-G-Rust
ZAR-Sheahan-Phil

I like Simon on that right side cuz he's good at opening up for that one timer.
Keep the puck hounds with G.
Not opposed to Phil and Rust swapping either.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
A little curious they aren't calling up Sprong. I'm all for giving different guys a shot but we should be putting the best lineup daily for wins. Sprong is absolutely a better player than ZAR right now.

I hope ZAR plays well but this is just Sully being a stubborn ass imo.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
A little curious they aren't calling up Sprong. I'm all for giving different guys a shot but we should be putting the best lineup daily for wins. Sprong is absolutely a better player than ZAR right now.

I hope ZAR plays well but this is just Sully being a stubborn ass imo.

Sprong is absolutely a better player than ZAR right now? Not according to Donatelli. ZAR has been just as good offensively as Sprong for about half of the season so far and is miles better defensively and physically.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Sprong is absolutely a better player than ZAR right now? Not according to Donatelli. ZAR has been just as good offensively as Sprong for about half of the season so far and is miles better defensively and physically.

Defensively he might be. Not offensively.

I'd rather have Sprong's offense with both Horny and Sheary out but we'll see. Maybe ZAR can provide some.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Defensively he might be. Not offensively.

I'd rather have Sprong's offense with both Horny and Sheary out but we'll see. Maybe ZAR can provide some.

Aston-Reese has 7 goals and 20 points in his last 20 games. He had a bad start to the year due to issues with adjusting to professional life and wisdom teeth, but he has been just as good offensively (at least statistically) as Sprong since about the 20 game mark.

davemess

Apr 9, 2003
Scotland
ZAR does seem the most like for like replacement from what little I have seen/read about his game.

They seem to want Geno to be taking the shots on that line, giving him Phil or Sprong would run counter to that thinking.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Aston-Reese has 7 goals and 20 points in his last 20 games. He had a bad start to the year due to issues with adjusting to professional life and wisdom teeth, but he has been just as good offensively (at least statistically) as Sprong since about the 20 game mark.

Eh whatever reasons you want to put to it one is a PPG and the other is a .5 PPG.

But I do accept your point that ZAR is playing well right now even if I think Sprong is the more effective player offensively. And a part of me does like different guys getting a shot. That type of thing can motivate prospects in the long run when they know they'll get their turn so to speak.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
ZAR does seem the most like for like replacement from what little I have seen/read about his game.

They seem to want Geno to be taking the shots on that line, giving him Phil or Sprong would run counter to that thinking.

Unless ZAR storms out of the gate offensively I imagine they'll put Rust there.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Hopefully ZAR doesn't have too slow a start. I worry that it will take him a while to get up to speed and that he won't be given that time.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Hopefully ZAR doesn't have too slow a start. I worry that it will take him a while to get up to speed and that he won't be given that time.

Unless JR trades a forward he’ll go down when we are healthy. We are tight to the cap and still need to make at least one trade.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
I'm damned excited about ZAR, I know I should lower my expectations but I just love seeing how youth can come up to the big squad and fire everyone up

Last edited:

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
It's difficult to assess ZAR because he only played 6-7 min and the whole team did not play well, but I really didn't see anything from him that screams top 6. In fact, the shot he had on goal on the PP tells the story. Nice pass from Simon in the slot and he shoots it right into the goalie's chest. It was a similar play to what Sid did against WSH to Horny, and yet Horny shoots it top shelf for a goal.

I'll be interested to see if Sprong gets called up at all for Tues if Horny remains out. He would have been more help last night than ZAR. Vegas is also a speedy, high pressure team. Someone like Sprong or Di Pauli would put more pressure on Vegas to execute, and could get some scoring chances, unlike ZAR. Of course I'd rather see ZAR than the other fourth liners...boy Sully can be so pig-headed....

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
It's difficult to assess ZAR because he only played 6-7 min and the whole team did not play well, but I really didn't see anything from him that screams top 6. In fact, the shot he had on goal on the PP tells the story. Nice pass from Simon in the slot and he shoots it right into the goalie's chest. It was a similar play to what Sid did against WSH to Horny, and yet Horny shoots it top shelf for a goal.

I'll be interested to see if Sprong gets called up at all for Tues if Horny remains out. He would have been more help last night than ZAR. Vegas is also a speedy, high pressure team. Someone like Sprong or Di Pauli would put more pressure on Vegas to execute, and could get some scoring chances, unlike ZAR. Of course I'd rather see ZAR than the other fourth liners...boy Sully can be so pig-headed....

In all fairness to ZAR, he was in really tight to the goalie on his shot. Much closer than Horny was at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad