Pre-Game Talk: The All Purpose Off Day Thread | DeSmith Re-assigned, Jarry Recalled

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
The team finally gets into a rhythm rolling 4 lines that can produce offense and 1 injury to a scoring winger (who isn't scoring very much) causes them to abandon that model for a garbage 4th line? Awesome.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I think the Penguins have to be having cap issues right now, it doesn't make sense at all to only have 12 forwards with one of them coming back from an injury. They must just not have cap space to have 13 forwards, it doesn't make sense to not keep Dea as a healthy scratch.

They have 13 forwards. Sheary is just injured and so far capfriendly doesn't have him on LTIR. I assume they are just trying to maximize any cap savings they can. I hate it though.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I never thought i would say this, but i'm actually happy to have Rowney back.

Sully at least trusts Rowney enough to play him so Sid wouldn't have to play so much.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
The team finally gets into a rhythm rolling 4 lines that can produce offense and 1 injury to a scoring winger (who isn't scoring very much) causes them to abandon that model for a garbage 4th line? Awesome.
boy are we all jumpy....I mean how can you not be. This 4th line aboration, just brings bad feeling, he may not play them more then 5 minutes but still...

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I never thought i would say this, but i'm actually happy to have Rowney back.

Sully at least trusts Rowney enough to play him so Sid wouldn't have to play so much.

I don't care about Rowney one way or the other, but it's the combo of Kuhn-Rowney-Reaves that is just awful. Of course, Kuhn-Dea-Reaves is terrible too.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
boy are we all jumpy....I mean how can you not be. This 4th line aboration, just brings bad feeling, he may not play them more then 5 minutes but still...

It just sucks because everyone knows this is going to turn them back into a 3 line team.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I think the Penguins have to be having cap issues right now, it doesn't make sense at all to only have 12 forwards with one of them coming back from an injury. They must just not have cap space to have 13 forwards, it doesn't make sense to not keep Dea as a healthy scratch.

They will most likely call somebody up tomorrow.

WB is closer to NJ then it is to Pittsburgh.

No reason to have the call up come to Pittsburgh tonight when they wouldn't even be playing.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I don't care about Rowney one way or the other, but it's the combo of Kuhn-Rowney-Reaves that is just awful. Of course, Kuhn-Dea-Reaves is terrible too.

I don't like Rowney or that line at all.

But i really hate seeing Sid on the PK because Sheahan is the only guy that Sully trusts to win a face off on the PK.

At least now Sid wouldn't have to PK.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I don't like Rowney or that line at all.

But i really hate seeing Sid on the PK because Sheahan is the only guy that Sully trusts to win a face off on the PK.

At least now Sid wouldn't have to PK.

That's fair. I don't hate the idea of Rowney at wing instead of Kuhn post deadline. Rowney can PK as well as Kuhn and can win faceoffs.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
We basically have one functioning line now-- HGH. It's stupid.
Now that Rowney is off IR and Dea is down, the team can place Sheary on LTIR and call up Sprong or ZAR or someone...
They should at least try this against NJD to get faster....
Jake-Sid-Sprong
HGH
Simon-Sheahan-Phil
Kuhn/ZAR- Rowney-Rust

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
We basically have one functioning line now-- HGH. It's stupid.
Now that Rowney is off IR and Dea is down, the team can place Sheary on LTIR and call up Sprong or ZAR or someone...
They should at least try this against NJD to get faster....
Jake-Sid-Sprong
HGH
Simon-Sheahan-Phil
Kuhn/ZAR- Rowney-Rust

If Sheary goes on LTIR he can’t come back until the 25th of Feb even if he’s ready before that.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
That's a big plus in my book...lol :)

It’s not if he’s ready to go and you get another injury but can’t use him. He’s still in our best 12 forwards.

Look at our 4th line right now.

wtbipyo

Jun 24, 2010
Rust on the 4th line and PKing is gold, but I'd like to see him on the 3rd line with Sheahan and Kessel for a change of scenery over Jake. Agree with most here ...

Jake-Sid-Simon
HGH
Rust-Sheahan-Kessel
Kuhn-Rowney- **literally ANY speedy forward from WBS**

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
Well, hopefully Sullivan does what he always does! Change things immediately when something doesn't work. Should take all of one period tonight!

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
That's fair. I don't hate the idea of Rowney at wing instead of Kuhn post deadline. Rowney can PK as well as Kuhn and can win faceoffs.
Rowney looks significantly worse on the wing. If the fourth line is only going to play 5 minutes then fine, he can stay on the wing and take draws on the PK, but Im hoping whatever 3/4C we get can PK which would make Rowney our 13F

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Rowney looks significantly worse on the wing. If the fourth line is only going to play 5 minutes then fine, he can stay on the wing and take draws on the PK, but Im hoping whatever 3/4C we get can PK which would make Rowney our 13F

I see the opposite that he’s so much better as a RW but he’s more a fill in

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
I see the opposite that he’s so much better as a RW but he’s more a fill in
I just remember in last years playoffs(?) he seemed a little lost on the wing even when he was with Cullen, but once in the center he was all over the ice and really using his size, almost reminded me of Staal when he was skating and disrupting with his reach. Honestly even if its not his preferred position hes still better than both our current 4th line wings so Id be fine with it.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I just remember in last years playoffs(?) he seemed a little lost on the wing even when he was with Cullen, but once in the center he was all over the ice and really using his size, almost reminded me of Staal when he was skating and disrupting with his reach. Honestly even if its not his preferred position hes still better than both our current 4th line wings so Id be fine with it.

I think it’s fluctuated. He hasn’t consistently been better at one position but this year he’s just not very good. Last year’s Rowney might be better than this year’s Kuhnhackl but this year’s Rowney is whatever.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Kuhn - Rowney - Reaves is back
DTvKDIQ.gif

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Oleksiak was such a good addition. He's got a great mix of just getting in the way in the defensive zone with his size and reach while being able to skate pucks out on his own. Such a perfect fit.

Once we ice an effective 4th line I think we're probably 3rd favourite behind Tampa and Nashville. The Caps look like a worse version of us and we own them mentally and the rest of our division is in transition. Tampa and Toronto both scare me style wise. They will both put a lot of pressure on our defensive transitions.

Letang was much better tonight. He seemed to be just keeping it simple and making a good play rather than trying to find the perfect one. Him playing up to his ability would be huge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad