Pre-Game Talk: The All-Purpose Mike Sullivan Thread - ALL COMMENTS AND COMPLAINTS HERE

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Frankly, I think a big issue is that from a speed perspective Sully still acts like he's coaching the team he had 2 years ago for the way the league was 2 years ago. Few teams could skate with the Pens then. I can't think of one that can't now.

Maybe Garrett Wilson actually is fast.

Oh, we both know Sully already has the ball rolling on dealing with that headache.

I mentioned this Ad Nauseam.

That Sullivan's system was perfect when it was a new trend that no one had caught on to 100% yet, after that season, in the summer the shift started to begin as it does with teams watching how a certain team won, a lot of smaller speedier guys were getting more chances by teams, were more sought after and the draft even indicated as much even more and it was staring to shift that way anyway. But after the 2nd cup, we weren't the clear cut fastest anymore, the Preds weren't that far behind us in speed it seemed and last year the difference in us vs a lot of others was barely there.

His 2 wins helped solidify the current style the NHL teams are employing, yet some how, he forgot how to evolve on that. Or just is not capable of it.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I want so hard to believe that some great roster changes are around the corner that make us contenders again, but unfortunately I don’t think they’ll happen soon enough, if at all, to make a difference this year ... that’s why I think the only chance to save the season is to fire MS....but I think the organization won’t do that at all this year and likely not next year even if we fall to the bottom of the standings...I think MS is in solid standing with the powers that be...everything he wants, he gets...

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I think AV might be a better fit than JQ for this team. Although either IMO would be better than Sully.

Yeah I would take AV over JQ for this team. Sully still has some rope and anyway good coaches probably won’t start until the off season. They can bring some of their own guys in and it’s just not a great situation to come into usually. Although we’ve definitely had success with it but both weren’t established when they came here

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I think AV would be a great coach here and would play a bit better of a defensive game without sacrificing much offense. Our GF would drop slightly but I think our GA would drop a lot more.

I don’t think we are at the stage of another coach at this moment. If a couple more roster moves happen and we continue to be down in the standings then obviously some decisions/enquires need to be made.

The thing is, with the weapons we have on offense, I think a guy like Quenneville fits the group we have better. His teams aren't terrible defensively either and I hope Ulf Samuelsson comes along with whomever we have as the next coach, he preaches an up tempo game that also likes to carry the puck and not defer to dump and chase as the way to enter the zone.

By the time JR realizes its time for a coaching change though, I fear we might lose more players and be further down the standings and have to climb back and then look at who fits in the new coach's system. We will likely waste back 2 back years at this rate before anything is done.

Reactions: EightyOne

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yeah I would take AV over JQ for this team. Sully still has some rope and anyway good coaches probably won’t start until the off season. They can bring some of their own guys in and it’s just not a great situation to come into usually. Although we’ve definitely had success with it but both weren’t established when they came here

Come to think of it, I was looking at some of the teams AV coached, when you said less offensively, you were wrong. In relation to that Rangers team and the Habs team, yes, less offense because he had less offensive weapons. But if you look at his time with the Canucks when he had the twins, the only time he had 2 elite offensive players like that, both Daniel and Henrik had career years and were the league's best. Their entire careers, when AV was their coach, they produced like the elite players they should have been for most of their careers.

Sign me up for Vigneault as well.

AV would use Brassard and the top 6 talent we have, likely better. But the saddest thing is we might lose that opportunity to because JR will butcher this team further to make it more Sullivan's team and then have to fix that with a new coach.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Come to think of it, I was looking at some of the teams AV coached, when you said less offensively, you were wrong. In relation to that Rangers team and the Habs team, yes, less offense because he had less offensive weapons. But if you look at his time with the Canucks when he had the twins, the only time he had 2 elite offensive players like that, both Daniel and Henrik had career years and were the league's best. Their entire careers, when AV was their coach, they produced like the elite players they should have been for most of their careers.

Sign me up for Vigneault as well.

AV would use Brassard and the top 6 talent we have, likely better. But the saddest thing is we might lose that opportunity to because JR will butcher this team further to make it more Sullivan's team and then have to fix that with a new coach.

When I said less offensively I didn’t mean by much. I think we’d go to a little bit more conservative style. We always score and AV always seemed to have good systems on all parts of the ice. I don’t think of him as a defensive coach but his style would tighten things up a little.

That’s what we need to be doing right now. Sully is doing it somewhat now but something is off. Not saying it’s all him but it’s definitely off.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
AV came close but never won in the finals, he'd be hungry and by most accounts would command respect. I think initially he would jolt this team in the right direction. He knows a good number of our players by coaching against them and could bring a fresh perspective which this team needs. We've gotten stale.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Probably the best he’s looked and he looked bad LOL.

Also he’ll likely be on Malkin’s sadly.

I’d be curious how this top nine would look

Pearson - Crosby - Simon
Jake - Malkin - Kessel
ZAR - Brassard - Hornqvist

With plans on ultimately upgrading that LW spot on Brass’s line.

Lol, you think Brassard is gonna wanna stick around for this shit show? I wouldn't be shocked if JR will speak to Brass and they both mutually agree to get him the f*** out of town.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Probably the best he’s looked and he looked bad LOL.

Also he’ll likely be on Malkin’s sadly.

I’d be curious how this top nine would look

Pearson - Crosby - Simon
Jake - Malkin - Kessel
ZAR - Brassard - Hornqvist

With plans on ultimately upgrading that LW spot on Brass’s line.

I would swap Phil and Horny because Horny and ZAR should never be on a line together. Brassard with Phil should be able to go back and forth with each other at least.

dustybreaks

Dec 31, 2012
I think the team isn't with him at this point. Geno, Kessel, Brass, are all examples. Not sure how he inspires his team but it really hasn't worked this year so far.
He wont bench guys like Rust or Maatta to send messages. IMO he's a paper tiger and the room knows it.
He has weeks to get it right. After that, it will be too late. I hope he finds the magic soon .

I would of literally wrote the exact same thing.

Reactions: AverageJoeFan

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Lol, you think Brassard is gonna wanna stick around for this **** show? I wouldn't be shocked if JR will speak to Brass and they both mutually agree to get him the **** out of town.

We’re two points off of last year with a lot more injuries.

This team could potentially go on a run. Not sure it happens, but I’ve learned to not doubt the Pens.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
We’re two points off of last year with a lot more injuries.

This team could potentially go on a run. Not sure it happens, but I’ve learned to not doubt the Pens.
The issue is that last year, that run masked a lot of the problems.

I hope we don't go on that run so JR and Sullivan can both see the problems clear as day and a run doesn't save either's job being on the hot seat or having one of them booted.

The issue isn't even who you put with Brassard, is where you start him. That's the issue. Maybe, as someone mentioned, he is still a little hurt and rushed himself back, wouldn't be shocked with this team. But even if you give him Kessel and still start him 40/60 Oz/Dz starts, you're not doing him or his wingers any favors. A guy that thrives in that role is Sheahan, he's a plug that plays well in plug minutes.

Brass is like using an expensive chef knife to open cardboard boxes as an exacto knife with those minutes.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I doubt either of them are booted. TBH.
JR is impatient, he has a window. I don't think he wants to tie himself to Sullivan for the next 3yrs he has left with this team, to have to fire him after 2 more years and hopefully have a coach in place and changes made to the roster to make it work one last time before steps away.

You do that now. Especially when the market finally has solid coaching options and isn't saturated with a bunch of idiots with minimal experience and cool powerpoint slide shows of their "Development" ideas while with the Hawks "developmental" work.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I doubt either of them are booted. TBH.
XYrjfhD.gif

MORE GRINDERS IN THE TOP 9 THAT HAVEN'T EARNED THE OPPORTUNITY!

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Is this based on inside info or are you just spitballing?
He's JR's baked goods dealer.

Although, I look at the next 3 games and I don't think we win either of them, which could seal his fate. If I was a betting man and was going to put money on a Penguins win, I'd probably do it vs the Hawks. Against the Avs, Isles, Sens, Isles again...eeehhhhh...

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
He's JR's baked goods dealer.

Although, I look at the next 3 games and I don't think we win either of them, which could seal his fate.

Good lord if that’s true, I hope Sid and G got the memo to play like crap the next two games....

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Losing 4 straight games in December? Gone.
But aren't you looking forward to stuff like...

"It's still early..."
"We've dug out of a hole like this before..."
"Sully has won us back 2 back cups, I trust him..."
"Zar has earned the ice time..."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad