Speculation: The all-purpose Claude Noel job security discussion thread

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
You realize this would put the Jets in the bottom 2 or 3 teams in the league, never mind the conference. And your proof for this historical type collapse is what we are 1-3-2 in a preseason that has primarily focused on evaluating where their prospect pool sits? We win the 2 shootouts which are next to useless in the preseason we are 500 playing mostly prospects and aren't we good.

Its just one mans opinion that all. I think the Jets have the worst coaching staff in the League and are also headed for a bottom 3 finish. I'll try and repost this in a couple months when the wheels have completely fallen off. :naughty:

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
I am okay with him staying on the team.
Just as long as it is in the right role... Like 3rd line center with limited to no power play time.

Just the vibe I get talking to people is that they want him ( Jokinen ) gone. A lot of people wanted Antropov gone, and they got their wish. Now it's Jokinen's turn to feel the wrath.

I do agree though. I think there is a role here for Jokinen. I'm sure he can be a positive force in the dressing room and as a 3rd line Centre maybe helping to shut down the other teams top lines. But I know this.... If Jokinen is the 2nd line C playing with Kane or ends up on the powerplay again ... the boo birds are going to be very vocal.

veganhunter

Mexico City Coyotes!
Feb 15, 2010
Calgary
I think you can count on Olli centering an ineffective second line as we just sent one of our best centers (O'Dell) to St Johns.

I would love to be positive and give Claude the benefit of the doubt, but I am convinced he has a very poor grasp of the game at this level.

I really hope you are wrong but I have a sinking feeling you may be right.

Let's be clear here.....

Not many people want to see Jokinen on the team anymore.

He belongs on the team anyone who says otherwise is just being silly. He does not belong on the 2nd line or the PP though.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I think you can count on Olli centering an ineffective second line as we just sent one of our best centers (O'Dell) to St Johns.

I would love to be positive and give Claude the benefit of the doubt, but I am convinced he has a very poor grasp of the game at this level.

O'Dell has played 0 regular season games. I can't understand the mindset of some people that are so desperate to have him on the team, and in such a big role. I think keeping Olli Jokinen over Eric O'Dell demonstrates at least an adequate grasp of the game at this level.

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
Just the vibe I get talking to people is that they want him ( Jokinen ) gone. A lot of people wanted Antropov gone, and they got their wish. Now it's Jokinen's turn to feel the wrath.

I do agree though. I think there is a role here for Jokinen. I'm sure he can be a positive force in the dressing room and as a 3rd line Centre maybe helping to shut down the other teams top lines. But I know this.... If Jokinen is the 2nd line C playing with Kane or ends up on the powerplay again ... the boo birds are going to be very vocal.

He will be gone after this year.
I don't see the Jets even trying to re-sign him after this season.
I still don't get why people would want to buy him out and pay him not to play for the Jets.... When he is UFA at the end of this year.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Its just one mans opinion that all. I think the Jets have the worst coaching staff in the League and are also headed for a bottom 3 finish. I'll try and repost this in a couple months when the wheels have completely fallen off. :naughty:

It's the same coaching staff that managed to helm a team that finished 18th in the league last year while missing at least 1 of their top 3 D for the entire season and had a starting goalie with a sub-par .905 SV%. If you want to see "worst coaching staff in the league" you might want to check out the Bombers... :)

Potrzebie

Mar 25, 2010

Can you elaborate as to what you are basing this on? I asked this question yesterday and no one responded. I'm generally curiious how people can detect an "AHL coach" so easily.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
O'Dell has played 0 regular season games. I can't understand the mindset of some people that are so desperate to have him on the team, and in such a big role. I think keeping Olli Jokinen over Eric O'Dell demonstrates at least an adequate grasp of the game at this level.

The assertion that the unproven, unexperienced O'Dell, at this point of his career, is one of the Jets best centers is laughable, and doesn't really demonstrate a grasp of the game at this level. Demonstrates the standard romanticism about young prospects though.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Can you elaborate as to what you are basing this on? I asked this question yesterday and no one responded. I'm generally curiious how people can detect an "AHL coach" so easily.

There have been several posts scattered across threads with specific critiques of Noel's coaching, including:

Use of Jokinen (generally and on the PP) over other players that had demonstrably better performance and who improved the performance of wingers.
Overall, among the worst special teams in the league (PP 30th, PK 24th).
Use of goaltender tandem (overplayed Pavs, especially on back-to-backs).
"Experiment" with Buff on RW late in the season, without any preparation.

Personally, I didn't like his public comments about Scheifele. I prefer NHL coaches to keep that stuff behind closed doors - especially with a good, coachable young player like Scheifele.

I'm ready to give Noel the benefit of the doubt for the unusual circumstances in the past two seasons, including the injuries. However, this season he needs to show that he can manage a team that has more depth and more options. I hope he does well, because I genuinely like his public persona.

damaaster

Dec 29, 2009
WINNIPEG
I'm more than willing to give Noel the benefit of the doubt, for now. If we see Pavelec being misused, extended periods of Wright in the top 9, extended periods of Olli centering an ineffective 2nd line, an abysmal power play, etc. I'm going to begin questioning whether he truly is an NHL coach.

Didn't you see this all year last year? Why give him the benefit of the doubt?

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
9-12-67
17-55-40

These line combinations could cost someone their job. But to be fair, if Noel wants to start the season this way fine, but if by the end of October when it is clear that #12 is hurting #9 and #67, then a change better be made.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
9-12-67
17-55-40

These line combinations could cost someone their job. But to be fair, if Noel wants to start the season this way fine, but if by the end of October when it is clear that #12 is hurting #9 and #67, then a change better be made.

I don't like Kane and Olli together but if Noel wants to ease Mark in then I'm OK with it as he at least is giving Mark a scoring option on his wing. I am however not a fan of the continued use of Wright in the top 9. I would much rather see Tangradi in that spot as he has a decent amount more skill.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
I work downtown so I ran down to the MTS center to watch the practice. The one thing I really found awesome was how Noel was ripping into the guys. He really let them have it for a while. At the end, Noel along with Huddy huddled up in a corer with Scheif, Jokinen, and someone who I couldn't tell. Looked like a pretty spirited huddle.

Potrzebie

Mar 25, 2010
There have been several posts scattered across threads with specific critiques of Noel's coaching, including:

Use of Jokinen (generally and on the PP) over other players that had demonstrably better performance and who improved the performance of wingers.
Overall, among the worst special teams in the league (PP 30th, PK 24th).
Use of goaltender tandem (overplayed Pavs, especially on back-to-backs).
"Experiment" with Buff on RW late in the season, without any preparation.

Personally, I didn't like his public comments about Scheifele. I prefer NHL coaches to keep that stuff behind closed doors - especially with a good, coachable young player like Scheifele.

I'm ready to give Noel the benefit of the doubt for the unusual circumstances in the past two seasons, including the injuries. However, this season he needs to show that he can manage a team that has more depth and more options. I hope he does well, because I genuinely like his public persona.

I'm well aware of the curious coaching decisions made by Noel but I would find them so at any level of hockey... but what specifically makes him an "AHL" coach? What you've listed are coaching errors for sure, but what exactly about them exposes Noel as "minor league"? Do no other "NHL" coaches misuse players or overuse their #1 goaltender? Wouldn't they be errors at any level?

I guess what I'm getting at is I see the "Noel is an AHL coach" meme repeated here over and over and I'm wondering what that's based on other than groupthink.

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
Noel is "minor league" coach because people saw him as a minor league coach here.
Since no other reasons are being given other then coaching errors that every coach makes in the NHL, that has to be it.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I work downtown so I ran down to the MTS center to watch the practice. The one thing I really found awesome was how Noel was ripping into the guys. He really let them have it for a while. At the end, Noel along with Huddy huddled up in a corer with Scheif, Jokinen, and someone who I couldn't tell. Looked like a pretty spirited huddle.

Thanks for the first-hand account. The "other" someone: do you know if it was a coach or a player?

DarthMonty

F*** CANCER
Aug 21, 2011
Optimismville
I'm well aware of the curious coaching decisions made by Noel but I would find them so at any level of hockey... but what specifically makes him an "AHL" coach? What you've listed are coaching errors for sure, but what exactly about them exposes Noel as "minor league"? Do no other "NHL" coaches misuse players or overuse their #1 goaltender? Wouldn't they be errors at any level?

I guess what I'm getting at is I see the "Noel is an AHL coach" meme repeated here over and over and I'm wondering what that's based on other than groupthink.

You're wasting your breath.

There are fans that expect the team to replace the coach several times in the course of one season. It would go like this:

Fire Noel STAT!

Hire Dale Hawerchuck.

Watch while the new coach implements his systems and familiarizes himself with the players.

Team goes on a multigame losing streak.

Fire Hawerchuck NOW before he completely destroys the team.

Hire Mike Keanan.

Watch while the new coach implements his systems and familiarizes himself with the players.

Fire Keanan NOW before he completely destroys the team.

This brings us to November. Ted Nolan's available!

Hire Ted Nolan.

Fire Nolan NOW before he completely destroys the team.

Rinse and repeat until the end of the season. Jets earn a new league record for firing 10 coaches within one season.

Next season, strangely enough, nobody wants to discuss a coaching job with the Jets.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Thanks for the info. I imagine this type of thing is quite common at this level. Scheiefele being a rookie will likely require more coaching and will also make more mistakes in drills so I see him getting more attention from Noel than other players and not all of it will be good!

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
Are we not better fans than this?

We have the best fans in the league and yet there is this arguing with little substance.

I get some of the hate that Noel gets because I hate the fact that we play Jokinen on the powerplay as well as on the second line in the pre-season. I am not saying Noel is perfect but this team has been getting better.

I dunno. I don't have any of the answers but saying that the coach should be fired right before the season starts is just stupidity to me.

Now the powerplay coach, he should be sent out of town Transcona style *1

*1: The person in question is to be stood in front of 3 Trans Ams. Should he pick the one with the engine that will turn over, he will be allowed to leave in said car. If he chooses incorrectly, he will be left to leave with the incorrect car once he FIXES THE ******* TRANSFER CASE!

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Are we not better fans than this?

We have the best fans in the league and yet there is this arguing with little substance.

I get some of the hate that Noel gets because I hate the fact that we play Jokinen on the powerplay as well as on the second line in the pre-season. I am not saying Noel is perfect but this team has been getting better.

I dunno. I don't have any of the answers but saying that the coach should be fired right before the season starts is just stupidity to me.

Now the powerplay coach, he should be sent out of town Transcona style *1

*1: The person in question is to be stood in front of 3 Trans Ams. Should he pick the one with the engine that will turn over, he will be allowed to leave in said car. If he chooses incorrectly, he will be left to leave with the incorrect car once he FIXES THE ******* TRANSFER CASE!

Could you tell me what the pp units were?

Thanks!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad