Speculation: The all-purpose Claude Noel job security discussion thread

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
The Official "Fire Claude Noel" Thread, Part II

In 2008, our fellow hockey fans in the city of Columbus started a thread called "The Official Fire Claude Noel Thread." He was eventually fired after doing nothing for the organization.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?p=71494663#post71494663

Now it is time to look at Noel's job performance, since becoming the Jets first head coach. Two years of missing the playoffs, juggling lines constantly, running Burmistrov out of town, being too hard on the young players, horrible coaching the special teams.

It's time to take a long hard look at how the Jets are performing. For the first 20 games, if the Jets are near the bottom of the division, it's time to make drastic changes. We have the talent to be a competitive team. We need a coach who can motivate the players. Noel has not done this.

October and Novermber will likely determine Noel's future with the organization.

EvilCoop

What year is it?
Nov 29, 2011
The Black Lodge
You give a coach three seasons; if you start firing people after one or two seasons you look like a terrible place to work. We've been close to the playoffs both times and sometimes improvement takes time. If we tank the first part of the season, Noel would deserve to go by Christmas but otherwise, let's give him one more season.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
Nucks fan here.

I think Noel deserves another year to save his job. I don't think he's had enough time out there to prove if he's the coach the Jets need.

Concordski also made a great point. Future coach's that come to Winnipeg need to know that they will be given a fair amount of time to implement their plan for this team. Having Coach's in and out is not a good look for any sports organization.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
havent we hashed this out already? With varying degrees of success?

Noel has his faults, but the one thing I won't fault him for is the development of our young players and the team cohesion in general. A lot of our players took HUGE steps forward under his guidance...and that is promising.

However, some of his other calls have been iffy. Starting Pavs on back to backs when he historically doesn't preform as well as the back up. A PP that was on life support. How Jokinen was used. The entire second line except for Kane.

A lot of people will say things to the effect that these players should have stepped up and thats not on the coach...but I think a coach's job is to put the team in the best possible situation to succeed, and I don't think Noel did that.

However, I'd be fine with giving him the year to figure his **** out and we'll go from there.

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
You give a coach three seasons; if you start firing people after one or two seasons you look like a terrible place to work. We've been close to the playoffs both times and sometimes improvement takes time. If we tank the first part of the season, Noel would deserve to go by Christmas but otherwise, let's give him one more season.
Coaches who are obviously in over their heads should be fired immediately...
  • playing Pavelec into the ground, especially when he is known to have issues with back-to-back games
  • trying to destroy Kane's career by weighing him down with Jokinen. That alone should be enough to get him fired.
  • destroying the 3rd line by keeping Wright there

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
In 2008, our fellow hockey fans in the city of Columbus started a thread called "The Official Fire Claude Noel Thread." He was eventually fired after doing nothing for the organization.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?p=71494663#post71494663

Now it is time to look at Noel's job performance, since becoming the Jets first head coach. Two years of missing the playoffs, juggling lines constantly, running Burmistrov out of town, being too hard on the young players, horrible coaching the special teams.

It's time to take a long hard look at how the Jets are performing. For the first 20 games, if the Jets are near the bottom of the division, it's time to make drastic changes. We have the talent to be a competitive team. We need a coach who can motivate the players. Noel has not done this.

October and Novermber will likely determine Noel's future with the organization.

Completly and totally false.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I'm still willing to sit on the fence with Noel, and give him the year to prove himself. But if I had to rank all the coaches as of today he would easily be in the bottom third.

Jetz

Dec 21, 2011
Omnipresent
Yeah lets fire the coach, because firing the coach every other year has worked so well for the Bombers.

How is it time now to evaluate Noel? The season hasn't even started. That evaluation was made this summer and he was given another year. Lets wait at least until Christmas shall we?

Warhead77

Jets4Life
Jun 28, 2011
The River City
Noel does need to go.

He was a mistake. Every single decision he makes just baffles me and I can't understand why people still give him the benefit of the doubt.

He is a bush league coach IMO. The sooner he is gone the better.

And it's time for all Jets fans to remove those rose colored glasses you've been wearing since 2011 and see that our coach is just not very good - not good at all.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Coaches who are obviously in over their heads should be fired immediately...
  • playing Pavelec into the ground, especially when he is known to have issues with back-to-back games
  • trying to destroy Kane's career by weighing him down with Jokinen. That alone should be enough to get him fired.
  • destroying the 3rd line by keeping Wright there

Noel has consistently shown that he is not an NHL calibre coach, so I can't see a reason to keep him on. We should have made the change this off season and recruited a guy like Eakins. In fact I'll stick to my original stance and suggest that he should not have been hired in the first place.

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
The coach has an over .500 record in the two seasons (well season and a half) here with what has been for the most part a sub standard lineup.

So if the GM's in this thread think Noel should be fired, then who do you think should be hired?

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
The coach has an over .500 record in the two seasons (well season and a half) here with what has been for the most part a sub standard lineup.

So if the GM's in this thread think Noel should be fired, then who do you think should be hired?

here's the thing...you may not be wrong.
but i'd point my finger at some of the things that look like actual issues:

1. his first season here, when he actually needed to have a meeting between him and the players because "they weren't on the same page" i.e they were pissed at him. that's kind of weird
2. his use of Pavs
3. his use of Burmi
4. his love for Joker and Wright
5. even his pre-season line-ups this year make little sense. Not playing Scheifele and Morrissey last night.
6. a fat, unmotivated Buff.
7. being able to be in the playoffs by default last year but collapsing
8. rarely playing a 60 minute game

then again, look at the year LLW had last year, how Bogo played...so is he that bad?

Andy6

Court Jetster
Jun 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Are there actual stats to show that the Jets played better in back-to-backs when another goalie played one game (to the extent that that happened)? I recollect the entire team being lousy in back-to-backs, not just the goalie.

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
here's the thing...you may not be wrong.
but i'd point my finger at some of the things that look like actual issues:

1. his first season here, when he actually needed to have a meeting between him and the players because "they weren't on the same page" i.e they were pissed at him. that's kind of weird
2. his use of Pavs
3. his use of Burmi
4. his love for Joker and Wright
5. even his pre-season line-ups this year make little sense. Not playing Scheifele and Morrissey last night.
6. a fat, unmotivated Buff.
7. being able to be in the playoffs by default last year but collapsing
8. rarely playing a 60 minute game

then again, look at the year LLW had last year, how Bogo played...so is he that bad?

I will agree with about 2 and 4, but disagree with the rest

How is it the coaches fault buff didnt want to be "in shape"? The team can ask all they want, if the player doesnt want to commit....

as for last nights line up... I think way too many people around here are getting way too hung up on what happens in the preseason.

and the not playing a full 60 falls on everyone not just the coach

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
havent we hashed this out already? With varying degrees of success?

Noel has his faults, but the one thing I won't fault him for is the development of our young players and the team cohesion in general. A lot of our players took HUGE steps forward under his guidance...and that is promising.

However, some of his other calls have been iffy. Starting Pavs on back to backs when he historically doesn't preform as well as the back up. A PP that was on life support. How Jokinen was used. The entire second line except for Kane.

A lot of people will say things to the effect that these players should have stepped up and thats not on the coach...but I think a coach's job is to put the team in the best possible situation to succeed, and I don't think Noel did that.

However, I'd be fine with giving him the year to figure his **** out and we'll go from there.

I don't necessarily agree about the development part. He has shown to be able to develop a couple of young players with some games under their belt (Kane and Bogo). He hasent however yet shown the ability to successfully break in a talented rookie as an NHL head coach. That to me is his litmus test this year, how well both Scheifele and Trouba break in will likely play a large role in if he is retained or let go.

Brainstrained

Dec 7, 2011
Northeastern Ontario
As has already been pointed out, Noel's already been evaluated - given a one-year extension to avoid lame duck status - for the start of this season and his job is secure at least until December unless the Jets really tank this fall. After Xmas, job security will depend on whether the team is or isn't in the playoff race.

I don't think he's been outstanding as a coach, but outside of the use of Pavs and team performance slightly below (my personal) expectations, he hasn't been a disappointment either, especially considering the depth of talent he's been working with.

So come January or February if the Jets are out of it, I may join those saying it's time for a change. But now isn't the time.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
My biggest worry about ever firing Noel is that we'd turn around and promote Keith McCambridge. Which would be about a thousand times worse than Noel. Sometimes this organization is loyal to a fault.

Potrzebie

Mar 25, 2010
He is a bush league coach IMO. The sooner he is gone the better.

Noel has consistently shown that he is not an NHL calibre coach, so I can't see a reason to keep him on. We should have made the change this off season and recruited a guy like Eakins.

I've seen these sentiments repeated countless times...

"Noel is not an NHL coach"
"Noel is an AHL coach"
"Noel is a minor league coach"

What exactly makes an "NHL" versus an "AHL" coach? How do you tell the difference? I am not in love with Noel and I find some of his decisions very puzzling at times... but I would find them puzzling no matter what level he was coaching at. Is it the systems he likes to use? His stubbornness? Is it success? In Claude's previous NHL HC stint he was above .500 with a bad Blue Jackets team but his IHL/AHL teams were consistently playoff teams and won a championship. In Eakins' 4 AHL head coaching seasons he missed the playoffs twice. What exactly makes him an "NHL" coach and Claude an "AHL" coach?

I'm still on the fence about Claude... for sure this is his make or break year as he finally has a little more talent on the roster... I may not consider him the best coach around or even top half of the league but what makes him an "AHL" coach and how do you recognize that?

Don't most of these coaches come from the AHL at some point?

I guess what I'm asking is when someone says "Noel is not an NHL coach"... what are they basing it on?

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011

No kidding! Also show me a coach in the league who sits the player the GM just signed for $4.5 million per (Jokinen)

Sure Noel has made mistakes but like Man said he took a pretty crap team to .500

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Strange timing for this thread, considering he's yet to coach a minute worth of meaningful hockey since April.

Claude is likely gone by mid-November if the Jets don't come out of their stretch of home games (16 out of 25 at MTSC, IIRC) with an above .500 record. The writing has been on the wall since he got that token one year extension over the summer.

Mungman

It's you not me.
Mar 27, 2011
Outside the Asylum
Oh boy, another one of these threads.... time to sit back and watch the proceedings.

[SPOIL]BTW He's not going anywhere this season[/SPOIL]

5s4kkZ1.gif

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Too early to fire anyone.

The next two preseason games will really point us to what this team is going to look like come opening night. And that's when the rubber hits the road. It will all come to a head by Christmas IMO.

If the team has a winning record..... Noel stays

If the team has a losing record, but the players are being used "properly" in Chevy's opinion, but underachieving.... Noel stays for the rest of the season. After... who knows.

If the team has a losing record and players like Jokinen and Wright have no production at all, but are getting big minutes..... Noel is gone.

Really though, it's all up to Chevy and TNSE and their "private" expectations for this season. Publicly they have to say it's playoffs or bust, but every team says that. But privately.... does TNSE and Chevy fully expect this team to make the playoffs after moving from the East to the West?

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com

No he doesn't. Overtime losses are losses.

61 wins - 56 regulation losses - 13 OT losses

AKA

61-69

AKA

.469 win percentage

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad