Speculation: The all-purpose Claude Noel job security discussion thread

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
There will always be people who want the coach fired. Every team, every time, no matter how successful the club is. Just the way sports are.

Facts are it is the beginning of the season and Noel has been given a show me contract. It is up to him whether he is re-signed or let go.

I'm sure there are people around here who want to see the Jets fail just so he gets fired, which is utterly baffling to me. I hope the Jets make the playoffs and make some noise and he gets another contract. I think he is witty and despite his flaws is a pretty good coach.

I am not a Noel fan, but I would love for him to prove me wrong.

For me that would mean:

Both specialty team units are middle of the pack.
We see an improvement in his ability to utilize his players most notably the goaltending position.
We see him successfully integrate Scheifele and Trouba into everyday players.

If the rest of the performance stays status quot from last year and the above happens than the wins will take care of themselves and the Jets will make the playoffs.

veganhunter

Mexico City Coyotes!
Feb 15, 2010
Calgary
I'm more than willing to give Noel the benefit of the doubt, for now. If we see Pavelec being misused, extended periods of Wright in the top 9, extended periods of Olli centering an ineffective 2nd line, an abysmal power play, etc. I'm going to begin questioning whether he truly is an NHL coach.

Jetsman

May 11, 2013
Great White North
Ladies and gentlemen, this is no time to panic. Chevy has a master plan!

1 - Let Noel continue the next two years till his new extension runs out and after he successfully sapped the offensive abilities from all the numerous 10+ 1st rounders on the Jets roster. Essentially turning stars into checkers. Those who refuse to dump it in during 3 on 1's through the neutral zone will be replaced by hard working waiver wire gems. After all, if we don't actually score on an odd man rush, we'll be in a bad position to play good solid team defense. Best to play it safe and dump it in... just like that genuis Wright kid!

2 - Enjoy a potential once in a generation talent named Connor McDavid. The dwindling season ticket wait list will be instantly replenished.

3 - Pick up another coach on old faithful, aka the waiver wire, and insert him directly into coaching the lineup (maybe Pat Quinn or Mike Keenan will still be available) or simply have an logical epiphany and hire Dale Hawerchuk as the next coach of the Jets.

4 - Insert Connor Hellebuyck as the new starting goalie over the shell-shocked and very tired looking Pavelec.

5 - Win Stanley Cup.

See, things are looking up folks. Our fearless leader has a plan. After all, as Chevy likes to say, "it's a process..."

Now release your collective fingers from the panic button and believe...

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I'm more than willing to give Noel the benefit of the doubt, for now. If we see Pavelec being misused, extended periods of Wright in the top 9, extended periods of Olli centering an ineffective 2nd line, an abysmal power play, etc. I'm going to begin questioning whether he truly is an NHL coach.

I think you can count on Olli centering an ineffective second line as we just sent one of our best centers (O'Dell) to St Johns.

I would love to be positive and give Claude the benefit of the doubt, but I am convinced he has a very poor grasp of the game at this level.

jiho

Apr 30, 2012
No kidding! Also show me a coach in the league who sits the player the GM just signed for $4.5 million per (Jokinen)

Sure Noel has made mistakes but like Man said he took a pretty crap team to .500

Randy Carlyle. He came in to Toronto and sent Connely to the minors, kept Komisarek in the press box and traded Lombardi for a bag of pucks. All big contracts. Jokinen should of been bought out.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Randy Carlyle. He came in to Toronto and sent Connely to the minors, kept Komisarek in the press box and traded Lombardi for a bag of pucks. All big contracts. Jokinen should of been bought out.

Define "coach" for me first. Because I don't think you understand what it means. lol

jiho

Apr 30, 2012
You seriously believe a guy like Burke would let someone else call the shots? Ummmm no.

Carlyle would not take a job where he does not have full say on the players that play.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Carlyle would not take a job where he does not have full say on the players that play.

Carlyle proved he could screw up an NHL star, Noel only proved that potential NHL player lacked potential!:sarcasm:

meedle

May 17, 2011
Winnipeg
Ladies and gentlemen, this is no time to panic. Chevy has a master plan!

1 - Let Noel continue the next two years till his new extension runs out and after he successfully sapped the offensive abilities from all the numerous 10+ 1st rounders on the Jets roster. Essentially turning stars into checkers. Those who refuse to dump it in during 3 on 1's through the neutral zone will be replaced by hard working waiver wire gems. After all, if we don't actually score on an odd man rush, we'll be in a bad position to play good solid team defense. Best to play it safe and dump it in... just like that genuis Wright kid!

2 - Enjoy a potential once in a generation talent named Connor McDavid. The dwindling season ticket wait list will be instantly replenished.

3 - Pick up another coach on old faithful, aka the waiver wire, and insert him directly into coaching the lineup (maybe Pat Quinn or Mike Keenan will still be available) or simply have an logical epiphany and hire Dale Hawerchuk as the next coach of the Jets.

4 - Insert Connor Hellebuyck as the new starting goalie over the shell-shocked and very tired looking Pavelec.

5 - Win Stanley Cup.

See, things are looking up folks. Our fearless leader has a plan. After all, as Chevy likes to say, "it's a process..."

Now release your collective fingers from the panic button and believe...

I will admit I'm all for tanking next year to get McDavid at that draft. A super star he will be.

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth
sharpening-pitchfork.jpg

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Noel is fighting for his coaching life,

jets make playoffs - Noel Back

Jets dont make playoffs - bye bye Noel

I love noel as a guy, but i dont see the jets winning a SC with him, but he will have played a big part in helping to mature the guys here

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada

I love noel as a guy, but i dont see the jets winning a SC with him, but he will have played a big part in helping to mature the guys here

SC......Stanley Cup? Oh dear god no. I see this team winning about 32 games this year.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
SC......Stanley Cup? Oh dear god no. I see this team winning about 32 games this year.

You realize this would put the Jets in the bottom 2 or 3 teams in the league, never mind the conference. And your proof for this historical type collapse is what we are 1-3-2 in a preseason that has primarily focused on evaluating where their prospect pool sits? We win the 2 shootouts which are next to useless in the preseason we are 500 playing mostly prospects and aren't we good.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Yeah, I think you will completly incorrect.

You probably wants the Jets to have a horrid season just so Noel gets fired don't you?

That's much worse than me. I just wanted Kane and Seto to have a couple bad pre-season games next to Joki. :nod: Not that it would likely make any difference.

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
That's much worse than me. I just wanted Kane and Seto to have a couple bad pre-season games next to Joki. :nod: Not that it would likely make any difference.

I think just about everyone feels/felt the same way you do. :laugh:
It's probably a pretty safe bet to make, that not many people want to see Jokinen on the second line anymore.

Last edited:

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
I would love to be positive and give Claude the benefit of the doubt, but I am convinced he has a very poor grasp of the game at this level.

Noel is currently employed by an NHL team as a coach, has coached in his past for another NHL organization, and he has also coached in other professional leagues as well, while the rest of us here conversely are commenting on the subject on a message-board. A cynic might point out that his grasp of the subject matter probably greatly exceeds that of his critics here, and it likely additionally meets the required standard - given that his NHL employer just extended his contract.

:D

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Noel is currently employed by an NHL team as a coach, has coached in his past for another NHL organization, and he has also coached in other professional leagues as well, while the rest of us here conversely are commenting on the subject on a message-board. A cynic might point out that his grasp of the subject matter probably greatly exceeds that of his critics here, and it likely additionally meets the required standard - given that his NHL employer just extended his contract.

:D

Your facts have no relevance here.

Be gone, vile demon.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012

If only it were so simple.

If Pavs has a save % >.915, and
If LLW stay healthy and maintain their pace, and
If our top 3 D stay just healthy enough to miss less than half a season of games combined, and
If this is the year that Scheif breaks out and centres an effective scoring line,
then the Jets make the playoffs.

Noel's role in the above is modest and his impact in the team making the playoffs this year, while important, is exaggerated IMO. More important than Noel are goaltending, injuries and the development of our young stars, who are just on the cusp.

Oh, have I mentioned we have to be more patient yet?;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad