Speculation: The all-purpose Claude Noel job security discussion thread

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
This thread isn't at all premature.
Carry on, I'll wait till we start the season.
But LOL at people complaining about how he uses Wright IN THE PRESEASON.

broinwhyteridge

Jun 27, 2011
Fire Maurice
They have a productive first line. Our top 3 Dmen is one of the better top 3 in the league. We have two blue-chip prospects that are looking to for spots. We aquired a second line winger this off-season. We have talent. The core is essentially locked up, if Noel can't get them into the playoffs this year in a really weak division, then I see Chevy bringing in someone else.

What weak division?

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Is this a Joke thread or what? I mean really CBus fans trying to give us advice on how to run our team? Laughable.

Mungman

It's you not me.
Mar 27, 2011
Outside the Asylum
Yup, still entertaining. Not as entertaining as the idea of a team GM'd by the fans, that'd be an AWESOME trainwreck to watch! (almost like watching the Bombers this season)

5s4kkZ1.gif

FBS

Sep 6, 2011
It isn't going to take much of Jokinen on 2C or Wright in the top 9 for this thread to explode. Same with a poor start for the special teams.

DarthMonty

F*** CANCER
Aug 21, 2011
Optimismville
This discussion is far too early in the season. Let's wait until after the first third of the season; 16 out of 25 at home should provide lots of grist for the mill.

Here's a couple of serious questions.

In grading Noel as a head coach, what are the expectations he's being judged against? Are they our own expectations, those of the media or of the organization itself?

I sense a lot of posters in the various coach discussions expected the Jets to be a playoff team last season, and are disappointed by the team's close miss in the regard. Yet the Jets were predicted to finish close to the bottom of the conference the last two seasons by sports media pundits. I'd hazard a guess that TNSE saw the Jets as a bubble team, and consider expectations were met. Middle ground, as it were.

If Claude Noel is fired during the season, who would be the best fit of all the unemployed head coach potentials? Or would it be someone within the organization?

To those describing Claude Noel as a AHL coach, isn't one of the important jobs of a minor league coach to teach and mentor the young guys into a semblance of a NHL regular? So wouldn't Noel, with his AHL resume, be best suited to insert Trouba and Scheifele into the Jets systems?

I'm not trying to be flippant; these are serious questions, and I am curious to see the answers they will generate.

Personally, I think Noel gets at least until Christmas, if not the entire season, before the team lets him go. If the Jets look to be improved from last year, and the new guys are integrating into the systems, even if the Jets miss the playoffs I would think he'll keep his job. I do believe that if Chevaldayoff thinks HIS draft picks aren't being used properly, Noel gets the axe before the season is out. If Jokinen spends any time with Kane, or on the powerplay, I will be jumping on the "Fire Noel" bandwagon myself.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Hehe my buddy was over last night watching the game. I asked as well "Why the hell do we have James Wright on the PP?" I got the "it's preseason" answer.

There is no situation tht James Wright should be being counted on to produce offense. I know I'm overreacting but seeing Wright on the PP ahead of even mediocre prospects like Lowry, O'Dell, Telegin makes my blood boil, lol.

Even Babcock in DET has similar man crushes (Abdelkater, Cleary) to two way plugs so there's obviously something to coaches endearing themselves to these types of players. I just fit know what it is yet.

Short of a top five tank job in progress by Christmas, Claude will get the full season I think. Even then a dismissal is far from a sure thing. But there's definitely some questions many on these forums have raised about player usage that are legitimate concerns.

TLDR version: wait and see approach.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Man, and I thought we had smarter hockey fans than this.

It's very simple. The team has taken tiny and incremental steps each year to get better. Do I want them to improve faster? Sure. But the team has improved, not regressed, under Coach Noel.

The quote about getting Eakins was comedy gold. What the hell has Dallas Eakins ever done as an NHL head coach?

It's pretty simple. Coach Noel's first year was marred by the entire relocation. His second year was marred by the lockout. So now this is the big test. He should be given the season (and yes, the entire season) to see how the team performs. If they continue in their small and incremental improvements he'll be extended. If the team slips back he'll be gone - but only after giving him a good solid try at the position.

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
This thread belongs on the call in show after a shutout loss!

Grumble grumble ... fire the coach ... grumble grumble ... I know better ...

:)

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia

It's very simple. The team has taken tiny and incremental steps each year to get better. Do I want them to improve faster? Sure. But the team has improved, not regressed, under Coach Noel.

The quote about getting Eakins was comedy gold. What the hell has Dallas Eakins ever done as an NHL head coach?

It's pretty simple. Coach Noel's first year was marred by the entire relocation. His second year was marred by the lockout. So now this is the big test. He should be given the season (and yes, the entire season) to see how the team performs. If they continue in their small and incremental improvements he'll be extended. If the team slips back he'll be gone - but only after giving him a good solid try at the position.

Sounds like excuses to me. Don't see you giving all 29 other coaches the benefit of the doubt because of the lockout. It's not like it was an uneven playing field like when the move happened(which still just an excuse really). Every other team had to deal with the same thing. Why is it we won't to give free passes to our guys? :help:

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

Special Teams have regressed...or not improved since Atlanta's 2010-11 season.

Edit: Note that Power Play Goals For were 15.5% of all Jets GF and Power Play Goals Against were 19.5% of all Jets GA in 2012-13.

Last edited:

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Sounds like excuses to me. Don't see you giving all 29 other coaches the benefit of the doubt because of the lockout. It's not like it was an uneven playing field like when the move happened(which still just an excuse really). Every other team had to deal with the same thing. Why is it we won't to give free passes to our guys? :help:

Because "we don't accept excuses" is a great slogan, but a terrible way to run a team.

You don't run anyone - player, coach, or GM, out of town because of a bad year. Maybe they had an injury. Maybe they just didn't catch the right bounces. Maybe someone had personal issues. Maybe they just need some time to "figure things out".

Look, the Bombers are the counter-example here. Constantly changing QBs, constantly changing coaches. And as a result the team is a mess.

YOu need some stabiliity. In order to attract quality people you need to show that you have a stable organization.

Look, Coach Noel's job can be evaluated at the end of the season. This is the "no excuses" year for him. Let's see what he can do. And if we don't like the result, we'll go find someone else - someone who knows that they'll be given a thorough try out by this organization.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Because "we don't accept excuses" is a great slogan, but a terrible way to run a team.

You don't run anyone - player, coach, or GM, out of town because of a bad year. Maybe they had an injury. Maybe they just didn't catch the right bounces. Maybe someone had personal issues. Maybe they just need some time to "figure things out".

Look, the Bombers are the counter-example here. Constantly changing QBs, constantly changing coaches. And as a result the team is a mess.

YOu need some stabiliity. In order to attract quality people you need to show that you have a stable organization.

Look, Coach Noel's job can be evaluated at the end of the season. This is the "no excuses" year for him. Let's see what he can do. And if we don't like the result, we'll go find someone else - someone who knows that they'll be given a thorough try out by this organization.

There is no excuse for this team to not make the playoffs this year. If this team doesn't look like a potential playoff team by January, something somewhere, MUST change. You don't sacrifice success just for 4 more months of stability.

These are professionals that have been around hockey their whole lives and Noel is making a career out of coaching hockey at the highest level. It doesn't take 3 years to "figure things out". That's basically saying, "I'm really slow at this and might not even be successful". Up until this point, he has proved no more then Ramsey. Which would beg the question, why replace a guy that can't do any better?

This team has missed the the playoffs 6 years in a row and picked in the top 10 5 years in a row. If we miss the playoffs again, we are riding a fine line between "being able to build a strong team" and "not knowing how to get over the same hump they couldn't do in Atlanta". If we miss the playoffs again, we have achieved no more in Winnipeg then Atlanta since the last time this franchise made the playoffs.

Yes, the future looks bright, but you have to build some kind of winning culture at some point instead of just being satisfied with high draft picks.

Last edited:

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Don't think Noel should be fired before given a chance, I think by Christmas, we will have a good idea, where this team stands. We won't see any firings before Christmas.

KJF

Nov 30, 2012
Too many people overestimate the talent on this team and somehow blame the coach. You can only do so much with the talent you are given. The Jets seriously lacked depth of talent for the past few seasons. There's a reason why all the players who were on the roster last season and who aren't this year couldn't find NHL jobs, save Hainsey who didn't exactly have teams knocking down his door.

I believe Santorelli also has an NHL job.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
There is no excuse for this team to not make the playoffs this year. If this team doesn't look like a potential playoff team by January, something somewhere, MUST change. You don't sacrifice success just for 4 more months of stability.

These are professionals that have been around hockey their whole lives and Noel is making a career out of coaching hockey at the highest level. It doesn't take 3 years to "figure things out". That's basically saying, "I'm really slow at this and might not even be successful". Up until this point, he has proved no more then Ramsey. Which would beg the question, why replace a guy that can't do any better?

This team has missed the the playoffs 6 years in a row and picked in the top 10 5 years in a row. If we miss the playoffs again, we are riding a fine line between "being able to build a strong team" and "not knowing how to get over the same hump they couldn't do in Atlanta". If we miss the playoffs again, we have achieved no more in Winnipeg then Atlanta since the last time this franchise made the playoffs.

Yes, the future looks bright, but you have to build some kind of winning culture at some point instead of just being satisfied with high draft picks.

But it would certainly take more than 1.59 seasons, wouldn't it? We've had one full season and a shortened one. But what do I know, I'm not an NHL coach so I don't know exactly how long it takes.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
But it would certainly take more than 1.59 seasons, wouldn't it? We've had one full season and a shortened one. But what do I know, I'm not an NHL coach so I don't know exactly how long it takes.

Just to play devil's advocate, Dallas had pretty well the same record as Winnipeg over the last two (or 1.59, if you will) seasons. Did Gulutzun have that much more to work with compared to Noel?

Looking at it in retrospect, I think the Jets 6-0-1 stretch and playoff push was what bought Noel another year. Had they fizzled to a sub-.500 record to finish the season, I don't think he would've been kept around.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Well both Mark and Jacob have likely made the final cut so Noel has escaped my wrath for now :p.

O'Dell being sent down is a sure sign Scheifele is on the opening day roster.

If not, the highly unlikely reason would be Jokinen being paired with Kane, Slater getting bumped up to the 3rd line & Cormier making the squad as the 4th line centre.

I can't see any of that being plausible. Welcome aboard Mark!

As for Trouba, he makes the team the moment Postma is waived (unlikely) or a defenseman on a one way contract is traded (possible).

ps. Noel is here for the long haul!

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
There will always be people who want the coach fired. Every team, every time, no matter how successful the club is. Just the way sports are.

Facts are it is the beginning of the season and Noel has been given a show me contract. It is up to him whether he is re-signed or let go.

I'm sure there are people around here who want to see the Jets fail just so he gets fired, which is utterly baffling to me. I hope the Jets make the playoffs and make some noise and he gets another contract. I think he is witty and despite his flaws is a pretty good coach.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad