The All-Purpose Bryz/Goaltending Thread #7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
thats GM / fantasy hockey talk. i DON'T CARE about the salary cap. NONE, repeat NONE of my comments about his performance [good or bad] have EVER been skewed by "how much money he makes / his cap hit / contract length"

Uh, no. Actually, the vast majority of fantasy leagues ignore cap hit. So by choosing to ignore cap hit (which is in fact a major consideration since it impacts how a team can be built), you're actually the one making fantasy talk.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Haha I wasn't being serious.
But just to play devil's advocate, what happens if Bryz finishes the season with stats that are around sub-.900 save % and over 3 GAA? Do you give him another chance next season or try to buy him out?

I think he gets another season regardless. The buyout, if I am not mistaken, can be used after next season too. This season, for a number of reasons, shouldn't factor into the decision. If he craps the bed next season and there is an actual replacement out there, then I think he gets bought out at that point.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
Uh, no. Actually, the vast majority of fantasy leagues ignore cap hit. So by choosing to ignore cap hit (which is in fact a major consideration since it impacts how a team can be built), you're actually the one making fantasy talk.

thats why u cant talk about Bryz with bp74..

if u ignore caphit, ur removing perhaps one of the biggest single ingredients that make up a team.

personaly i cant even fathom how a player cant be compared to his caphit when discussing performance..

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Who the hell ignores the cap hit of a player when judging their level of play? Isn't that usually pretty indicative of the level of play that you would expect out them?

Example: Talbot has been a letdown in comparison to last year. But, Talbot isn't the third highest paid player on the team, nor is he expected to be a franchise cornerstone.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Who the hell ignores the cap hit of a player when judging their level of play? Isn't that usually pretty indicative of the level of play that you would expect out them?

Example: Talbot has been a letdown in comparison to last year. But, Talbot isn't the third highest paid player on the team, nor is he expected to be a franchise cornerstone.

Feds is the same price and, weirdly enough, has done more than Talbot this year.

WeekendAtBernies

Jun 27, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Agree agree agree AGREE X10000. We've had the freakin stopgap since I first started watching hockey! Bryz has shown this season he can be dependable, but for God's sake if it isn't the starter it's the backup! Why did they make no effort to get a guy like Dan Ellis, he's filled in admirably for the Canes while Ward has faltered.

I'm just trying to figure out how 10 good games followed by 9 bad ones suggests that Bryz is "dependable" / "the franchise".

I don't get it. When the guys you refer to as "stopgaps" are consistently outplaying the guy you're referring to as your "franchise goalie", it's probably time to reevaluate that whole "franchise goalie" thing.

Nabokov outplayed him last year and is doing the same this year. Khabibulin outplayed him last year, is doing the same this year.

Tim Thomas outplayed him last year, has 2 vezinas, and a Conn Smythe. I don't think you can argue Bryz is better than him.

Backstrom is unquestionably better than Bryz.

The Kings are going to be looking to move Bernier since he's an RFA this year. Might even be able to OS him out of LA.

OTT is going to be looking to move on of their goalies, etc.

I'm not advocating that we just amnesty Bryzgalov 100% THIS YEAR, but if we can secure one of the guys I listed above, I'd go ahead and do it. If not, then Bryz has to be amnestied after next season unless something drastically changes.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I'm just trying to figure out how 10 good games followed by 9 bad ones suggests that Bryz is "dependable" / "the franchise".

I don't get it. When the guys you refer to as "stopgaps" are consistently outplaying the guy you're referring to as your "franchise goalie", it's probably time to reevaluate that whole "franchise goalie" thing.

I'm not saying he 100% IS the franchise goalie. He has shown he CAN be, but he has to be more consistent. I see no point in throwing away Bryz, who has the potential to be the solution, for a random assortment of guys who can hopefully hold down the fort for two years or so in hopes of finding "that guy" at some point down the road.

Nabokov outplayed him last year and is doing the same this year. Khabibulin outplayed him last year, is doing the same this year.

Nabby outplayed him an is outplaying him. Nabby will be 38 next year. Khabibulin did not outplay him last year, unless you count having .003 better sv% and a higher GAA outplaying. He is also currently 40 years old. Neither of those guys are a solution to anything.

Tim Thomas outplayed him last year, has 2 vezinas, and a Conn Smythe. I don't think you can argue Bryz is better than him.

Again, the guy is going to be 40 and hasn't played in a year. He has better career stats, absolutely and was a better goalie 100% agree. But at 40 and a year out of hockey, he is not a solution to any problem.

Backstrom is unquestionably better than Bryz.

Agreed, and I said that last time. But you have to sign him, remember? You can't just go to "edit rosters" and put him on the team.

The Kings are going to be looking to move Bernier since he's an RFA this year. Might even be able to OS him out of LA.

So you are not ok with giving a bad contract, but you are ok for trading assets the Flyers don't really have for a goalie who may never turn out to be anything?

OTT is going to be looking to move on of their goalies, etc.

See above.

I'm not advocating that we just amnesty Bryzgalov 100% THIS YEAR, but if we can secure one of the guys I listed above, I'd go ahead and do it. If not, then Bryz has to be amnestied after next season unless something drastically changes.

I agree that it is a possibility to amnesty him, but there are a lot of IFS that must go down before it happens. Not the least of which is finding a replacement that is more than just a one year hope everything goes well and then find a different one year guy the following year and so forth and so on so that we get Robert Esche, Garth Snow, Ron Hextal 2.0, Roman Chechmanek, Brian Boucher, Sean Burke, and so forth and so on. Like I said, unless there is a legitimate replacement, it is six of one half dozen of the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad