The All-Purpose Bryz/Goaltending Thread #7

Status
Not open for further replies.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Bryzgalov is definitely regressing. Some weak goals tonight. He's been overplayed and I think he's gassed. Congratulations, Mr. Holmgren, you have provided no useful goaltending option to spell Bryzgalov, and the stellar start to the season is being pissed away. Continued mediocrity, leading to a middle-of-the-pack 1st rounder. I think I'd break out several drinks if it weren't Lent.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
This is what pisses me off. On TSN they said Lavi told them he won't sit Bryz because they aren't in the playoffs. Yet Bryz is showing all signs of yet another meltdown. This brings back memories of Bob in his rookie year when Lavi kept playing him. This isn't all on Lavi, though, this is on Holmgren for not bringing in a backup who isn't named Boosh or Leighton.

Mgkibbles

Dec 14, 2009
Gilbertsville, Pa
This is what pisses me off. On TSN they said Lavi told them he won't sit Bryz because they aren't in the playoffs. Yet Bryz is showing all signs of yet another meltdown. This brings back memories of Bob in his rookie year when Lavi kept playing him. This isn't all on Lavi, though, this is on Holmgren for not bringing in a backup who isn't named Boosh or Leighton.

Or Emery when Lavi managed to burn his hip up.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006

I think it's fatigue more than anything. I still think he's all there mentally, but the constant over-working might change that.

Just another reason why having Boucher/Leighton as backups is a terrible idea. It's pretty much a guaranteed loss if they start against anyone but bottom feeder teams.

WeekendAtBernies

Jun 27, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
huh ?? meltdown ?? hes let in what, 5-7 awful goals this year ?
most of them have been from undefended opponents

Just out of curiosity, where would you rank Bryz in terms of goalies league wide?

If we do it by Save Percentage, he's 34th
If we do it by GAA, he's 30th
If we do it by GVT, he's 54th

By the Bernie Parent 1974 method, Bryz is ranked ????

CyborgLindros

Mar 29, 2012
This sounds crazy but it's a good idea to start Boosh/Leights.

Sacrifice one game every now and again and keep Bryz fresh. Assuming we win 2/3 bryz starts for every back up start and drop every game he doesn't start. It'd probably be enough to get us in. IMO

Primary Assist*

Just out of curiosity, where would you rank Bryz in terms of goalies league wide?

If we do it by Save Percentage, he's 34th
If we do it by GAA, he's 30th
If we do it by GVT, he's 54th

By the Bernie Parent 1974 method, Bryz is ranked ????

:biglaugh:

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
He definitely looks worn down. He's frustrated as hell. ****, the guy has more starts than some teams have games played! The Flyers schedule is gonna ease up, right? I mean they've got 21 games played already while some teams have 16. Those teams have to pick up that slack soon while the Flyers get some rest?

Bernie Parent 1974

Sep 29, 2009

i would rank Bryz as the #1 reason this team has had even a chance to win all but 2-3 games Bryz has started this year.

Flyers MVP. clearly. much better than last year without the circus surrounding it.

he is the last player to look at in terms of blame this year. period. anyone disagreeing with that, is simply is not paying attention. or just hates Bryz, or his contract, or was against signing him & needs to come up with any reason to criticize him.

that's how i rank Bryz

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
i would rank Bryz as the #1 reason this team has had even a chance to win all but 2-3 games Bryz has started this year.

Flyers MVP. clearly. much better than last year without the circus surrounding it.

he is the last player to look at in terms of blame this year. period. anyone disagreeing with that, is simply is not paying attention. or just hates Bryz, or his contract, or was against signing him & needs to come up with any reason to criticize him.

that's how i rank Bryz

Or maybe...just maybe...they're being realistic.

Here's the reality: Bryz hasn't been good recently. While he hasn't been horrific, he certainly hasn't been making it easier for the team to get wins. At times he's made it more difficult.

Also, it's entirely possible for undefended players to score goals and have it count as a bad goal.

Bryz hasn't been the MVP for two weeks now. Edit: which is hardly surprising. Lavi has had to play him into the dirt because Holmgren didn't get a backup.

Last edited:

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
even on the TSN broadcast tonite they talked about Bryz's performance during the game and in general all season.

their conclusion is that Bryz is regressing back towards his mean ave. of last year.

wether thats due to workload or him simply ave.out his stats, who knows.

def. a shame that when Bryz was on fire early, we couldnt manage to make better use of it.. but those possible points are gone now..

/sadpanda

WeekendAtBernies

Jun 27, 2011
Philadelphia, PA

that's how i rank Bryz

That's cute.

I actually don't hate Bryz, as shocking as that might be to you. I praised him greatly for his early season hot streak and I root for him to succeed each and every night because if he plays well, my team has a chance to win and if my team wins, I'm happy. But when my team is losing and is looking like they're going to miss the playoffs, I get to thinking about how the team could potentially be improved, as is natural. And when you're dealing with a team that's right @ the cap limit, you start thinking about which players with large cap hits might be good amnesty targets. And in weighing which players might be guys you would consider amnestying, you can't help but glance around the league and look at other players at the same position's stats & cap hit and do some comparisons. That's why I was asking where you rank him compared to other players league wide, a question you very skillfully maneuvered around.

What I was trying to get at is: Why does Ilya Bryzgalov deserve to be taking up 5.67M in salary cap for the next 8 years. Why shouldn't we buy him out.

Maybe it's because I'm a finance guy, but salary / cap hit matters. Bryzgalov's cap hit is a large detriment to this team if he isn't playing up to that number. Just like Danny Briere is a large detriment to the team.

I don't "blame" Bryzgalov for his cap hit, nor do I get angry with him as long as he's trying/working hard. The cap hit is Holmgren's problem / mistake. But it's a valid thing to discuss in a thread about Bryz: Is Bryz's performance worthy of the money.

As I've said many times, the answer to that question won't change my opinion of Bryz or whether or not I root for him (I will always root for him as long as he's a Flyer), but it will potentially have lasting consequences for the future of this team.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire

I just want to know something. Do you think its ever Bryzgalov's fault when he lets in a goal unless the Flyers are set up perfectly? Im not asking about any one instance I just want to know what you consiter a goal thats on Bryzgalov?

I would say he was really good earlier this year. i agree we would probably have 4 or 5 fewer wins without him. But lately hes been very pedestrian. Maybe some of it is fatigue. I dont know. But I think Lavy is going to have to give him a break at some point. When your starting goalie starts 19 of 21 its a clear indication of one thing. The coaching staff does not trust the backup goaltender. If someone upstairs doesnt realize this, Im looking at you Holmgren then clearly something is wrong.

Last edited:

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Yes, meltdown. He played great early on but the past few weeks have been bad. He refused to talk to the media twice in under 2 weeks although he did eventually come out to talk the second time. He has told the media he is tired and that the sched is concerning. Is this all on him? Nope, it's on our idiot GM for ignoring the backup position yet again. Lavi has to overwork Bryz because he has no choice.

dawkins121

Jul 7, 2007
Philadelphia
Yes, meltdown. He played great early on but the past few weeks have been bad. He refused to talk to the media twice in under 2 weeks although he did eventually come out to talk the second time. He has told the media he is tired and that the sched is concerning. Is this all on him? Nope, it's on our idiot GM for ignoring the backup position yet again. Lavi has to overwork Bryz because he has no choice.

Valid point

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia

I agree but Bryzgalov should not have been started in any of the back to backs. You have to think long term.

Bryz has not been good recently and he may have been a contributing factor in some recent losses but more often then not he has not been the problem. Too many d breakdowns, missed assignments (both d-men and forwards) and turnovers are to blame. Also briere's uselessness seems to have reached another level. Yes he had a streak going but no one can say that he was honestly playing well. Imagine what we could do w/ 6.5 mil :shakehead:

hckyplayer8

Don't bang the glass
Mar 26, 2011
Grand Forks,ND
Last year he didn't play consistently enough. This year hes playing too much. Maybe its time to admit Bryz is a very avg. goalie who has very pronounced hot and cold steaks just like all of the other mediocre goalies in the NHL.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Last year he didn't play consistently enough. This year hes playing too much. Maybe its time to admit Bryz is a very avg. goalie who has very pronounced hot and cold steaks just like all of the other mediocre goalies in the NHL.

No goalie in the NHL could handle this work load playing in front of this team. Bryz game is falling hard, but Holmer insistence to not have a NHL calibre back up plays more into this mess than Bryz struggling. If we had a back up to come in when we all saw that Bryz needed a break 3 games ago, maybe we avoid where we are now.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
No goalie in the NHL could handle this work load playing in front of this team. Bryz game is falling hard, but Holmer insistence to not have a NHL calibre back up plays more into this mess than Bryz struggling. If we had a back up to come in when we all saw that Bryz needed a break 3 games ago, maybe we avoid where we are now.

Hell, three games ago it was amazingly obvious he needed a break. It would have been even better if he'd gotten breaks before it reached that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad