Status
Not open for further replies.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Why shouldn't we buy him out.

Who will take his place? If there was a legitimate option to replace him, I would consider it. But there is no one realistically in the organization at this point and no one IIRC that is going to be a free agent this season. This means trade or go with Joe Schmo for at least a year.

I think if he craps out the rest of the season, and there is someone there to replace him, buy him out. If he plays well or Boosh is our option at starter next year, you gotta keep him (unless the Flyers are planning on tanking for a couple years, which I doubt).

BP1974 is right, Bryz is the reason the Flyers aren't in an even worse position than they currently are. He hasn't always been pretty and he has slowed down a bit, but this team could be staring at even less points if Bryz wasn't playing the way he was.

ArmchairGM

Jul 5, 2007
Bryz has been fine. He's been by far the best player on the team, and it was painfully clear about 5 games ago that he needed a rest. His movements have been way less crisp. This one is on Holmgren.

As far as that goal last night, as bad as it was, anyone who has played goal will tell you that's the most deceptively difficult shot possible. A matter of inches in that situation dictates what method of save you attempt, and in a play like that where its somewhat ambiguous where the player will shoot, it becomes a very difficult save.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
Who will take his place? If there was a legitimate option to replace him, I would consider it. But there is no one realistically in the organization at this point and no one IIRC that is going to be a free agent this season. This means trade or go with Joe Schmo for at least a year.

I think if he craps out the rest of the season, and there is someone there to replace him, buy him out. If he plays well or Boosh is our option at starter next year, you gotta keep him (unless the Flyers are planning on tanking for a couple years, which I doubt).

BP1974 is right, Bryz is the reason the Flyers aren't in an even worse position than they currently are. He hasn't always been pretty and he has slowed down a bit, but this team could be staring at even less points if Bryz wasn't playing the way he was.
Unfortunately we have to use the buyouts when they are available. He has to be bought out, regardless of his replacement.

There are "serviceable" stopgaps (Theodore, possibly Nabokov) or perhaps we could trade for one of LA, STL, OTTs glut of Goalies.

WeekendAtBernies

Jun 27, 2011
Philadelphia, PA

There are comparable (or better) options available via free agency this year. Most/all of which would cost less than Bryz and require a lesser contract term than the 7 years remaining on Bryz after this yr.

Tim Thomas is one legitimate option and he is unquestionably better than Bryz.

Niklas Backstrom is the premium option out there.

Nabokov and Khabibulin are both older goalies who would likely get 1 year deals for ~2.5M or less and both are in situations right now where their teams are even worse defensively than the Flyers, yet both consistently post better #s than Bryz.

Mike Smith, the Coyotes goalie who has posted better #s there than Bryz did, is a free agent.

Ray Emery is playing quite well for the Blackhawks and will be a free agent.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Unfortunately we have to use the buyouts when they are available. He has to be bought out, regardless of his replacement.

There are "serviceable" stopgaps (Theodore, possibly Nabokov) or perhaps we could trade for one of LA, STL, OTTs glut of Goalies.

He absolutely does not HAVE to be bought out. His contract is bad. Too long and too much money. But that alone is not reason to buy someone out. That could put you in a similar situation for the same amount of time. You buy him out, then you have a bunch of stopgaps for the next seven years, none of which are very good, but have better contracts. Great. That fixes nothing. You have a chance to get a franchise goalie somehwere in there, but there is also a chance that Bryz gets hot and stays hot.

There are comparable (or better) options available via free agency this year. Most/all of which would cost less than Bryz and require a lesser contract term than the 7 years remaining on Bryz after this yr.

Not really. (see below)

Tim Thomas is one legitimate option and he is unquestionably better than Bryz.

Thomas is not legitimate at this point. He will be 39 going on 40 and out of hockey for a year. He may be worth a risk if Bryz is bought out, but he 100% is not a legitimate option. Stopgap at best.

Niklas Backstrom is the premium option out there.

This is probably true, but his injury history is concerning and he will probably be a high cap hit.

Nabokov and Khabibulin are both older goalies who would likely get 1 year deals for ~2.5M or less and both are in situations right now where their teams are even worse defensively than the Flyers, yet both consistently post better #s than Bryz.

This also may be true, and I would be interested in Nabby a lot more than Khabiblin.

Mike Smith, the Coyotes goalie who has posted better #s there than Bryz did, is a free agent.

No worries that he is suffering from the same inflated numbers that everyone says Bryz had in Phoenix?

Ray Emery is playing quite well for the Blackhawks and will be a free agent.

Been there, done that. He is one injury away from being out of hockey.

Looking at that list I see Backstrom, Nabby, and to a lesser extent Mike Smith as possibilities.

Nabby is 100% a stopgap. He may suffice for a year, but he is another one who will be 38. So at best you are looking at two years of an aging goalie, at which point we will be looking for another replacement.

Backstrom will likely be looking for a good chunk of change and his injuries scare me. If he would sign here I think I would be ok buying out Bryz, but again you are taking a risk by buying out Bryz then missing out on Backstrom. As we saw last offseason, the real world is different than NHL13...not everyone will sign with you because you make them an offer.

Mike Smith's NHL numbers are not all that staggering. He's putting up good numbers in Phoenix, but so did Bryz. I am not entirely convinced that he is the goalie we are looking for either.

Emery is playing well, but again he is one misstep away from being out of the game all together, which is why he wasn't re-signed in the first place. I'm not so sure the Flyers would consider him after they already let him walk.

Essentially what we have is a number of goalies who would leave us looking for another goalie in a couple years, or signing a new guy to a potentially high cap hit contract. Six of one, half dozen of the other: Keep Bryz and you have an up and down goalie for the next 7 years or so who may or may not play well enough to get us a Cup or sign a bunch of up and down stopgap goalies and hope one turns into a guy that can play well enough to get us a Cup.

WeekendAtBernies

Jun 27, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
He absolutely does not HAVE to be bought out. His contract is bad. Too long and too much money. But that alone is not reason to buy someone out. That could put you in a similar situation for the same amount of time. You buy him out, then you have a bunch of stopgaps for the next seven years, none of which are very good, but have better contracts. Great. That fixes nothing. You have a chance to get a franchise goalie somehwere in there, but there is also a chance that Bryz gets hot and stays hot.

Not really. (see below)

Thomas is not legitimate at this point. He will be 39 going on 40 and out of hockey for a year. He may be worth a risk if Bryz is bought out, but he 100% is not a legitimate option. Stopgap at best.

This is probably true, but his injury history is concerning and he will probably be a high cap hit.

This also may be true, and I would be interested in Nabby a lot more than Khabiblin.

No worries that he is suffering from the same inflated numbers that everyone says Bryz had in Phoenix?

Been there, done that. He is one injury away from being out of hockey.

Looking at that list I see Backstrom, Nabby, and to a lesser extent Mike Smith as possibilities.

Nabby is 100% a stopgap. He may suffice for a year, but he is another one who will be 38. So at best you are looking at two years of an aging goalie, at which point we will be looking for another replacement.

Backstrom will likely be looking for a good chunk of change and his injuries scare me. If he would sign here I think I would be ok buying out Bryz, but again you are taking a risk by buying out Bryz then missing out on Backstrom. As we saw last offseason, the real world is different than NHL13...not everyone will sign with you because you make them an offer.

Mike Smith's NHL numbers are not all that staggering. He's putting up good numbers in Phoenix, but so did Bryz. I am not entirely convinced that he is the goalie we are looking for either.

Emery is playing well, but again he is one misstep away from being out of the game all together, which is why he wasn't re-signed in the first place. I'm not so sure the Flyers would consider him after they already let him walk.

Essentially what we have is a number of goalies who would leave us looking for another goalie in a couple years, or signing a new guy to a potentially high cap hit contract. Six of one, half dozen of the other: Keep Bryz and you have an up and down goalie for the next 7 years or so who may or may not play well enough to get us a Cup or sign a bunch of up and down stopgap goalies and hope one turns into a guy that can play well enough to get us a Cup.

If my two choices are a cheaper stopgap for 1-2 years or Bryzgalov for 7 years w/ that horrible contract, I take the stop-gap without even thinking twice about it. It's a no brainer decision. You cannot lock yourself into 7 year contracts unless a guy is elite to begin with, because his play is going to slip @ some point due to age.

Bryzgalov is not elite. He's far from it and that contract is terrible.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
If my two choices are a cheaper stopgap for 1-2 years or Bryzgalov for 7 years w/ that horrible contract, I take the stop-gap without even thinking twice about it. It's a no brainer decision. You cannot lock yourself into 7 year contracts unless a guy is elite to begin with, because his play is going to slip @ some point due to age.

Bryzgalov is not elite. He's far from it and that contract is terrible.

No doubt that the contract is bad. But you'd rather have 1-2 years of a stopgap...but then what? 1-2 more years? Then what? 1-2 more? The Flyers played the stopgap for ohh...twenty or so years. Maybe in 1-2 years we have a franchise goalie in Stolarz. Or maybe not. Then we sign an aging (insert goalie here) for two years. Then another. Now we are in the same spot seven years down the road. No goalie. No Cup. But the contracts were better!!!! Unless there is a legitimate option to replace Bryz, it is not a wise move to buy him out.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Bryz is the stop gap. He won't be bought out this summer, but he could be bought out next summer.

If he has a strong year next year, he will be the solution. If he is inconsistent like he was last year, he'll be bought out.

He is clearly overworked and getting tired this season; the important acquisition for Bryz is a competent back-up.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Lulz, Bryz's new mask.

2zh0ems.jpg

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
No doubt that the contract is bad. But you'd rather have 1-2 years of a stopgap...but then what? 1-2 more years? Then what? 1-2 more? The Flyers played the stopgap for ohh...twenty or so years. Maybe in 1-2 years we have a franchise goalie in Stolarz. Or maybe not. Then we sign an aging (insert goalie here) for two years. Then another. Now we are in the same spot seven years down the road. No goalie. No Cup. But the contracts were better!!!! Unless there is a legitimate option to replace Bryz, it is not a wise move to buy him out.

Agree agree agree AGREE X10000. We've had the freakin stopgap since I first started watching hockey! Bryz has shown this season he can be dependable, but for God's sake if it isn't the starter it's the backup! Why did they make no effort to get a guy like Dan Ellis, he's filled in admirably for the Canes while Ward has faltered.

Bernie Parent 1974

Sep 29, 2009
What I was trying to get at is: Why does Ilya Bryzgalov deserve to be taking up 5.67M in salary cap for the next 8 years.

then you should have ASKED that, so i could ignore & not respond.

thats GM / fantasy hockey talk. i DON'T CARE about the salary cap. NONE, repeat NONE of my comments about his performance [good or bad] have EVER been skewed by "how much money he makes / his cap hit / contract length"

he's the Flyers MVP & has kept them in nearly every game he has started, has had no media circus exploits, and stolen a few games along the way, too, while being over all solid [my criticism of him the last 2 games included]

play GM all you want. i'm discussing his performance on the ice.

Bernie Parent 1974

Sep 29, 2009
Yes, meltdown. He played great early on but the past few weeks have been bad. He refused to talk to the media twice in under 2 weeks although he did eventually come out to talk the second time. He has told the media he is tired and that the sched is concerning. Is this all on him? Nope, it's on our idiot GM for ignoring the backup position yet again. Lavi has to overwork Bryz because he has no choice.

thats a 'meltdown' ?? umm, ok, have your opinion & i'll have mine

Bernie Parent 1974

Sep 29, 2009
If the Flyers skaters arent positioned perfectly and the other team scores is the goal on Bryzgalov? Thats what I was trying to say.

do you consider a goal given up by Carey Price to Giroux, when the Canadiens aren't in perfect position "on Price" ? just like that ??

or do you say "great snipe by G" ?

or maybe you: look at the goal, the goalies reaction to it, was he screened, should he reasonably be expected to save it, if you asked him after the game do you think he would have said: "i gotta get that one"

^^ that's what i do ^^

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
do you consider a goal given up by Carey Price to Giroux, when the Canadiens aren't in perfect position "on Price" ? just like that ??

or do you say "great snipe by G" ?

or maybe you: look at the goal, the goalies reaction to it, was he screened, should he reasonably be expected to save it, if you asked him after the game do you think he would have said: "i gotta get that one"

^^ that's what i do ^^

so you agree that Bryz should of had Kessels goal last night.

dawkins121

Jul 7, 2007
Philadelphia
then you should have ASKED that, so i could ignore & not respond.

thats GM / fantasy hockey talk. i DON'T CARE about the salary cap. NONE, repeat NONE of my comments about his performance [good or bad] have EVER been skewed by "how much money he makes / his cap hit / contract length"

he's the Flyers MVP & has kept them in nearly every game he has started, has had no media circus exploits, and stolen a few games along the way, too, while being over all solid [my criticism of him the last 2 games included]

play GM all you want. i'm discussing his performance on the ice.

His one ice performance has been inconsistent to say the least. Sure he's had his hot streaks, every goalie does. Hell, you might notice the record holder for longest consecutive shutout streak in the modern era is currently warming our bench. But he's also been prone to giving up back breaking soft goals and going through stretches of terrible play.

Is he the worst goalie in the NHL? No obviously not. But from a purely on ice perspective he's certainly not elite either. If you don't want to even think about the salary cap or GM stuff that's fine but the reality is that cap management is a pretty huge part of today's NHL and it's irresponsible to allot such a significant cap number to a player that could barely be considered above average.

Co Ho*

Canucks fan coming in peace...
Is Bryz to blame for his poor stats this season so far? Or is Philly's defence more to blame for the lack of support they are giving him? Just curious why Bryz is struggling a bit so far, and if he is to blame for the bad numbers.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Is Bryz to blame for his poor stats this season so far? Or is Philly's defence more to blame for the lack of support they are giving him? Just curious why Bryz is struggling a bit so far, and if he is to blame for the bad numbers.

Recently he's been giving up a few bad goals, but in general, the team has play extremely inconsistently in front of him defensively.

Co Ho*

Recently he's been giving up a few bad goals, but in general, the team has play extremely inconsistently in front of him defensively.

If we deal Luongo to your team, you guys would have the funniest goaltender tandem in the league :laugh:
Although they would be insanely overpaid, they would make up for it with their good sense of humor :sarcasm:

thelos

Bunk
Jul 19, 2011

At first he was the only Flyer playing well and was keeping us in games. Lately, our offense has woken up but he has started to struggle

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
If we deal Luongo to your team, you guys would have the funniest goaltender tandem in the league :laugh:
Although they would be insanely overpaid, they would make up for it with their good sense of humor :sarcasm:

Your team would have to pay for almost all of his salary while he's here.

Co Ho*

Your team would have to pay for almost all of his salary while he's here.

Haha I wasn't being serious.
But just to play devil's advocate, what happens if Bryz finishes the season with stats that are around sub-.900 save % and over 3 GAA? Do you give him another chance next season or try to buy him out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad