The all-purpose: Alexander Wennberg thread

Wennberg points estimate for 2019-20

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
What would you want for Wennberg in a trade, in terms of picks?

We'd really have to get a better center before doing anything like that. Though I imagine generically Wennberg would be worth a pair of 2nd rounders, sort of like Marcus Johansson (similar contract / performance).

Reactions: thebus88

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
What would you want for Wennberg in a trade, in terms of picks?

"1st round pick"..

I hate that term, but, that's what Wennberg is worth.

Really, anywhere from 10-20 would seem accurate. Or, if at draft day, 2 high 2nds would be "ok".

A "goal scoring winger" is what we should be looking for in return.

Whether that is an older guy near the same cap hit, or a younger guy with a smaller cap hit, I don't care.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
"1st round pick"..

Really, anywhere from 10-20 would seem accurate. Or, if at draft day, 2 high 2nds would be "ok".

Whether that is an older guy near the same cap hit, or a younger guy with a smaller cap hit, I don't care.

Wennberg is weird.

What happened to that guy who looked so great a couple of years ago?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Wennberg is weird.

Folks figured out that he doesn't shoot enough and so he ends up pretty easy to counter. In the last two or three games he looks like he's trying to do something about that, but it's anyone's guess as to whether or not it'll continue or yield long-term results.

He's still fantastic on the backcheck (not a heavy hitter, but his positioning and stickwork are excellent) and on the PK, and he can still make some excellent passes despite the problems he's created for himself there, so he's still a useful player, but he's not meeting expectations and it's very frustrating. And there's some folks here who have completely given up on him as a result.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Wennberg had one good season and that was the season where our PP was invincible for half a season and we had a 17 game winning streak. To me asking about what happened to that Wennberg is like asking how come we have not had another 17 game winning streak. There was a lot of luck involved and every thing had to go just right. As I have said repeatedly since that year, teams have figured Wennberg out and adjusted how they play him just like they adjusted to our 1-3-1 PP. And nieiher Wennberg nor Larson have made counter adjustments.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
"1st round pick"..

Honest question.

If you were a GM, would you part with a potential #10-15 pick for Wennberg?

ndd17

In Eaves we trust!
Jul 14, 2012
Russia
Wennberg had one good season and that was the season where our PP was invincible for half a season and we had a 17 game winning streak. To me asking about what happened to that Wennberg is like asking how come we have not had another 17 game winning streak.
16 game winning streak actually.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Wennberg is weird.

Same player. Without the "padding" of stats/assists on a "top 5" powerplay in 16/17.

I've said it all along. His 1st 1.5-2 years in the NHL were actually terrible.

He shouldn't have been in the league his rookie year in 14/15. Brutal. And this is when I knew there was gonna be a problem as his "potential" and "promise" was being raved about, when he actually didn't show shit at the NHL level.

Actually LOOK INTO his 40 points in 15/16. It was the year that was essentially pointless 1-2 months into the year. Pressure on a guy like Wennberg, gone. Johansen was traded. Look at the numbers of the other 2 regular centers that had their ice time and "usage" increased that year.

Wennberg- 69 games- 8 goals- 32 assists- 40 points
Jenner- 81 games- 30 goals- 19 assists- 49 points
Dubinsky- 75 games- 17 goals- 31 assists- 48 points

16/17 he put up points. Like many of our players did. On the powerplay or not. Team played very well the entire year, and that had a bigger impact on Wennberg numbers than his numbers had on the team. And just by going off memory, who do you people think was more impactful that year on the team winning games, Wennberg or Sam Gagner? Give me Gagner in the middle of the ice on the PP. Especially at that salary.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Honest question.

It would depend how desperate I thought my team was in need for a "playmaker".

I would say a "younger" team that has had a good amount of higher draft picks recently that is looking to still grow into a more dangerous team while Wennberg can grow into a more dangerous player, would work. Or even an "older" team looking to possibly tweak/"re-tool" a roster a bit and add in some younger "promising" offensive players.

ARI, ANA, SJ, MINN, CHI, STL, VAN, EDM, NYR, CAR, FLA, OTT....I think all could have some interest, for some of the same and different reasons.

Maybe it would be more 15-25, or we would throw a 2nd or 3rd or something else for a higher pick. I don't think he's "impossible" to be moved, and I don't think 16/17 to be looked at as the norm and trading him for a mid to late 1st shouldn't be looked at as "selling low". Remember, he wasn't a "top 5" or even "top 10" pick.

16 game winning streak actually.

Glass half empty, eh?

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Wennberg is weird.

5v5 he wasn't that great a couple years ago, not much different than he is now. If teams adjusted to his shooting-allergy it was on the PP, that's the one area where he has had a marked decline in production. He hasn't been effective on the PP since 2016-17. I don't think there would be much griping about Wennberg if he was actually strong on the PP.

Honest question.

No, because my team probably wouldn't be good enough to justify moving futures if I'm drafting at that spot, that and Wennberg isn't quite there in terms of value. I think he's probably worth more like #15-#20. A more likely scenario is that a team lacking depth trades a couple second rounders for him a la Marcus Johansson.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Wennberg has as many (few) even strength points as Scott Harrington (11). Harrington's only required 34 games for his while Al has needed 38. Harrington gets 11 minutes TOI compared to Al's 15.

Get rid of this bum while someone is silly enough to think he has some value.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
What exactly would anyone expect to receive in trade for a forward who makes $5 million per year & is on a pace to score 2 goals? I would project a 7th rounder in 2019 draft & a 6th rounder in 2020. No one is picking up a $5 million dollar contract for a center who scores 2 goals & is below 45% in face off circle.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
What exactly would anyone expect to receive in trade for a forward who makes $5 million per year & is on a pace to score 2 goals? I would project a 7th rounder in 2019 draft & a 6th rounder in 2020. No one is picking up a $5 million dollar contract for a center who scores 2 goals & is below 45% in face off circle.
He's a retained salary transaction more than likely.

But there's always Chiarelli in Edmonton, EDM.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Wennberg had 6 goals during the 2018 calendar year. 5 regular season and one playoff.

He has had one goal in his last 46 regular season games.

EDIT: Zero goals in his last 22 games.

Last edited:

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Wennberg had 6 goals during the 2018 calendar year. 5 regular season and one playoff.

He has had one goal in his last 46 regular season games.

I get it.

He hasn’t been good at all for a very long time, and quite frankly most of his time in this league. He sucks at faceoffs. He is a (moderately) good passer.. he doesn’t make passes that have you go “WOW”, but he doesn’t make dumb passes, ever. He is decent at defense. He sucks at shooting the puck and sucks at goal scoring.

He needs to be held to a high standard, yes.
This is the Wennberg discussion thread (that I created) and your replies are staying on topic, yes.
But I feel like we’re in overkill and beating a dead horse when it comes to Wenny.

We. Get. It.

Hipster Letestu

Aug 2, 2009
Westerville
I think it took my drinking while watching the game last night to be honest with myself. Wennberg just isn't very good. I don't think he's going to progress any further. He's not a great defender, he's a good passer, he's not good at faceoffs, he can shoot but chooses not to. At this point I'm not sure where he should be slotted, but if I can package him for someone like RNH I would do it in a heartbeat.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Always good to see another come face to face with the reality of Wennberg. It will b even better when Jarmo comes to face the reality of his Golden Child.

Reactions: Cowumbus

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Always good to see another come face to face with the reality of Wennberg. It will b even better when Jarmo comes to face the reality of his Golden Child.

The problem is that Jarmo and the rest of the league have come to terms with what Wenny is, and probably always will be.

I have called him many times, a Huselius who cant (not wont) shoot. I think that might actually be downplaying the affect Huselius could have on a single game, while scoring or REALLY making goals happen by assisting on 2-3 goals a game.

I really think he should be put on the wing. What we need out of him is to create offense. He has to focus on too much other stuff while playing center. And while he is a good skater I think his overall defensive ability and awareness is greatly exaggerated as is.

For all the talk we have had about questioning what type of team the CBJ are, and if the "grinders" and "skilled players" mesh together, I still ask this simple question to whoever wants to answer, eye test or divide until you can produce a positive number, WHO DOES Wennberg mesh well with or have chemistry with on this team??

And now I'll ask in advance, whos fault is that and what should be done?

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Give me Bjorkstrand, Duclair, Sedlak, Dubinsky, Robinson, Dalpe…..among others, over Wennberg.

PP, PK, 2nd line, 4th line, 1st shift of the game, last shift of the game up or down, after getting scored on, WHATEVER.

MULTIPLE GUYS (that aren't even our "top" guys) that are better options in EVERY SITUATION than Wennberg.

Cant be said about anybody else on the team other than Hannikainen and Nash.

Last edited:

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
8f0b121081577574.jpg

Wennberg territory, the only guy who sees similar ice time + PP time is Wallmark and he's making 7 times less. Also lol Nash... plus Dubinsky with ~$6M and 3 goals is right here as well, but i cut players with 30 games played and he has 29.
Great center depth, so great!

major major

Feb 18, 2013
8f0b121081577574.jpg

Wennberg territory, the only guy who sees similar ice time + PP time is Wallmark and he's making 7 times less. Also lol Nash... plus Dubinsky with ~$6M and 3 goals is right here as well, but i cut players with 30 games played and he has 29.
Great center depth, so great!

I'm old enough to remember when William Karlsson was on this list.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I sometimes get the feeling that some people just don't like uncertainty and want to be able to "close the book" on a particular player as quickly and succinctly as possible, so that things can go back to being nice and predictable and uncomplicated.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
Okay.....let’s get up a pool.

“What game # will Wennberg score his next goal”?

(Pool closes in two weeks)

Reactions: thebus88
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad