The Advanced Stats Thread Episode VIII:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I don't know what the hell happened after the 1st period. Really dissapointing how they got destroyed after a solid 1st period.

Pionk continues to be an anchor possession wise, and I've been so dissapointed with Buch so far.
What happened to preseason Zibanejad, for that matter?

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Not sure man. That 2nd and 3rd period was tremendously deflating. I know Carolina is a great possession team, but I was hoping we would at least put in a respectable performance. Hope this isn't a sign of things to come. I can accept the losses, but not these types of losses.

Reactions: Machinehead

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

dude keeps losing the puck trying to do silly dangles

Like, it just slides off his stick. He's trying to stick handle far away from his body and it's not working.

Get back to keeping things simple...

Not sure man. That 2nd and 3rd period was tremendously deflating. I know Carolina is a great possession team, but I was hoping we would at least put in a respectable performance. Hope this isn't a sign of things to come. I can accept the losses, but not these types of losses.

3 games into a new season with a new coach new players new system...it sucks but I don't think it's any more indicative of how things will go than the first two games where they did much better. In general I think people shouldn't get too high or too down about games this early on

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
He is sucking with both this year, so maybe you're right.

I really don't think he's been bad defensively this year. In a small sample, his CF%rel is great and his xGA/60 is only behind Skjei and Skjei's primary partner (McQuaid).

I'm way more disappointed that our PP has been meh and he isn't driving offense.

This is word for word the same story as last year. I'm beginning to theorize that this is the player Shattenkirk is.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
I think he's better defensively than people say, and worse offensively at 5v5 than people think. It is true that he's basically average in transition and he's not a puck carrier whatsoever.

Reactions: Machinehead

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
People harping on Shattenkirk because he played one or two of the 8 goals the team gave up against Carolina poorly. Goals against are easier to remember than smaller plays that lead to good shot attempt metrics which generally provide more clarity into future performance.

Still better than Vally's take about Vlad.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
That data from Tierney is skewed by the Canes game. We’ve been a middling shot rate team and a better xGF team from the Buffalo/Nashville games.

I wonder if we can buy low on Brandon Saad right now

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Bruins are beefing their analytics department. Have a couple of open jobs right now.

Meanwhile, in Rangerland...

giphy.gif

Reactions: Rangers743

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
That data from Tierney is skewed by the Canes game. We’ve been a middling shot rate team and a better xGF team from the Buffalo/Nashville games.

I wonder if we can buy low on Brandon Saad right now
Yup. Before that game, we were well in the "Fun" category.

Sample sizes, people! The data is going to be volatile right now.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I really don't think he's been bad defensively this year. In a small sample, his CF%rel is great and his xGA/60 is only behind Skjei and Skjei's primary partner (McQuaid).

I'm way more disappointed that our PP has been meh and he isn't driving offense.

This is word for word the same story as last year. I'm beginning to theorize that this is the player Shattenkirk is.

The power play was pretty great to start the season last year when he was running it, but after his injury got worse he started struggling a lot more.

He hasn't looked good running it so far this year yet. I do think the injury really screwed with him and we forget it was something he suffered in training camp last year so he hasn't really been healthy and 100% for his entire time with the Rangers.

His greatest value is as a PP QB and he's basically been a cheat code at that for his whole career so realistically when he gets back into the swing of things I think we'll see that part of his game take off.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Schaller finally got into a game last night. +6/-4, +16.41 relCF% drew a penalty and attempted 3 shots in 10 mins of 5v5 time.

Yep. Sounds about right.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
People harping on Shattenkirk because he played one or two of the 8 goals the team gave up against Carolina poorly. Goals against are easier to remember than smaller plays that lead to good shot attempt metrics which generally provide more clarity into future performance.

Still better than Vally's take about Vlad.
What do you think is an acceptable ratio between "good" and "bad" plays? By that I essentially mean the number of quality chances should you be generating for each quality chance directly given away (regardless of whether they lead to goals)? It's probably not an easy metric to quantify but the idea is to assess the ratio of similar quality chances vs assuming all chances are equal. Maybe there's already a stat that does this?

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
What do you think is an acceptable ratio between "good" and "bad" plays? By that I essentially mean the number of quality chances should you be generating for each quality chance directly given away (regardless of whether they lead to goals)? It's probably not an easy metric to quantify but the idea is to assess the ratio of similar quality chances vs assuming all chances are equal. Maybe there's already a stat that does this?
xG% relxGF% relTxGF%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad