Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
AfkH.gif

Reactions: Chytil

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Doing a random analysis to take a break from attempting to build the world's worst xG model... What the f*** happened in the game against the Flyers (4-7) loss on 2/18 this year? Every single goal scored in that game was a 5v5 goal. Most in the league this year.

Uh, shout out to imgur for linking to the most random album of all time? I had the post-game dump in here, but idk what happened. Carry on.

So random analysis was that a friend of mine had a theory that if the opposing team pulls their goalie, you should take a penalty for free shots at the empty net. This is obviously an imperfect analysis (no time on ice), but last year, there were 90 games that featured a 4v6 event, and 13 of them were goals. Comparatively, there were 938 games that featured a 5v6 event, and 322 of them were goals. So... don't take a penalty :laugh:

Last edited:

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I really wish there was better data available for the AHL. I was curious what Chytil, Andersson, and Pionk's shot rates would look like, and they all averaged 2+ shots per game. A quick, and not checked for errors, look at our team at all strengths show that that would be better than everyone on our team besides Nash, Mika, Hayes, Zucc, and Skjei.

Are there any other good AHL resources besides twitter play-by-play guys and buying AHL live games?

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Not really, it's almost impossible to get any real data from AHL. There's been some models done over the last 3 years, most notably by the old Habs analytics guy (lost the name now) who got fired/quit after the Subban trade (he was VERY against it).

Reactions: Buchnevich89

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
The only real thing you can do externally with the data the AHL puts out is scrape Goals F/A/% data.

Reactions: Phnxldr

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Next season, we'll have better NWHL data than we do AHL data. At least in the public sphere... I hope.

This AHL thing though would be the most obvious competitive advantage for NHL teams to easily exploit, though. I'm assuming this data is somewhere, just not public.

Last edited:

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
I don't know if it's a true "advanced stat", but what do you guys think about secondary assists? I read topics about them ever so often on the main board. I ask because Travis Yost did an article about them today and some former/current Rangers featured in two of his charts. Desharnais (ranked 2nd) and Spooner (ranked 7th) were high on the list for players with the highest % of secondary assists and Vesey ranked 5th on the list of players with the lowest secondary assist percentage.

https://www.tsn.ca/the-noise-surrounding-secondary-assists-1.1134501

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I don't know if it's a true "advanced stat", but what do you guys think about secondary assists? I read topics about them ever so often on the main board. I ask because Travis Yost did an article about them today and some former/current Rangers featured in two of his charts. Desharnais (ranked 2nd) and Spooner (ranked 7th) were high on the list for players with the highest % of secondary assists and Vesey ranked 5th on the list of players with the lowest secondary assist percentage.

https://www.tsn.ca/the-noise-surrounding-secondary-assists-1.1134501

I started really looking at primary/secondary assists while doing a Kevin Hayes deep dive defense. I'm not sure what my absolute take is yet. I'm still playing around with it. But Hayes has some really crazy numbers. In his rookie season, he had 21 primary assists and 1 secondary. That's nuts.

In general, I'm still up in the air about it. I don't think it matters much for players who are stars and have the puck all the time, who put up points consistently year over year. It interests me more on more middle/bottom 6 guys. To see who is creating with their time.

To further the Spooner example. I filtered secondary A/60 (min 700 5v5 mins) and he's 5th behind McDavid, Giroux, Stamkos, and Barkov. I don't question any of those guys ability to put up points. But Spooner? Did he just benefit from some good line-mates this past season? his 1st vs 2nd A rates basically flipped for last season over the previous few. Just a small sample? I'd need more context for him

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I started really looking at primary/secondary assists while doing a Kevin Hayes deep dive defense. I'm not sure what my absolute take is yet. I'm still playing around with it. But Hayes has some really crazy numbers. In his rookie season, he had 21 primary assists and 1 secondary. That's nuts.

*eyes emoji*

Remember when Kevin Hayes was always good but after his 'sophomore slump' people wanted him traded for nothing? I 'member.

Reactions: DanielBrassard

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
*eyes emoji*

Remember when Kevin Hayes was always good but after his 'sophomore slump' people wanted him traded for nothing? I 'member.
He was ass in his sophomore year and I’ll stick to it. The dude improved his game significantly this season, from both a fitness and play perspective.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
His 3rd season (16-17) was arguably his worst.

Worst possession numbers, worst scoring output. Bad all across the board.

His defensive starts doubled/60 that season. From o-zone guy, to d-zone guy in usage.

He rebounded nicely this past season. Leveled out, produced, and improved his numbers across the board.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Positive shot attempt impacts, expected goals impacts, and goals impacts, and a 1.88 p/60 is ass?
I am not a smart man. His third season is what drove me nuts, partially because of how good he was the year before.

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
His 3rd season (16-17) was arguably his worst.

Worst possession numbers, worst scoring output. Bad all across the board.

His defensive starts doubled/60 that season. From o-zone guy, to d-zone guy in usage.

He rebounded nicely this past season. Leveled out, produced, and improved his numbers across the board.

Grabner- Hayes- Miller was super easy to find on a CF% rankings list because you just had to filter it from bottom up and the 3 would generally fit around the first page lel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad