Prospect Info: The Adolescent 2019 Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
I asked in the prospects boards who the best snipers/goal scorers are in the draft.

Raphael Lavoie of the Halifax Mooseheads is a name everyone suggested.

@Oilers in NS or anyone else know much about him?

He is very good. I seen him play last year when he was 16 and he was unreal. I noticed he grew quite a bit. He is off to quite a start.

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/the-premature-2019-draft-thread.2509371/page-3#post-150788313

Halifax is hosting Mem Cup and are stacked. They don't play their first game at home until Oct 27 so they will probably go on quite a run. Saifin is there but hurt

Halifax Mooseheads – Official site of the Halifax Mooseheads

Reactions: 780il

rambo97

Jan 2, 2018
I've said this in other threads (the Hlinka thread from the summer and in the Trade Proposals one) but the top 10 for this upcoming draft looks really strong. Lots of intriguing players. The 1st round overall looks really good.

Loaded with forwards.....but like I've said in the past I'm a huge fan of Byram. That kid is going to be really special. Hughes, Kakko, Cozens, Podkolzin, Dach, Lavoie, Byram, Broberg, Krebs, Newhook, Turcotte, Suzuki. Draft is looking great

Reactions: Aerrol

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
I asked in the prospects boards who the best snipers/goal scorers are in the draft.

I'm actually flying to Edmonton for Home opener, Pens game and quite possibly Nashville game. When I get back, I will be going to some Halifax games. I'm 1.5 hours away from Halifax so I don't go all the time but I'll file a report for ya on Lavoie and Saifin. I really like Saifin. He had a great camp last year but not so much this year. I think he was injured this year

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I think Arthur Kaliyev is the top goal scorer in the draft.

One of the younger guys in the draft and absolutely destroying the OHL.

Mark Edwards and the HockeyProspect guys don't seem so high on him, citing issues with skating and compete level.
As for Kaliyev, he's an interesting player. I knew instantly at the Hlinka that he would be a name that would be talked about early and often this season. He scores like crazy but has some ugly traits to his game. Much like this board, NHL scouts I know have varied opinions on him as well. I know a few who still have him in the 1st round and some whose opinion of him make us look like we our his biggest fans. I'll also note that he was not a player with varied opinions amongst our crew. in other words, we didn't need to debate much internally about his ranking placement. Personally, I don't dislike him as a prospect. He just has parts to his game that slide him down my list more than some other folks.
Kaliyev's skating and compete issues are why he slid down our list.
What's your opinion, have you seen him much?

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Mark Edwards and the HockeyProspect guys don't seem so high on him, citing issues with skating and compete level.

What's your opinion, have you seen him much?

Haven't seen him a ton, but his skating never looked like an issue to me. Not a burner by any means and he kind of has an awkward upright stride, but he has no problems getting around.

I think the whole skating thing is something the scouting community needs to pump the brakes on. There seems to be this idea that if a player's skating isn't elite, it's an issue. We saw it a lot last year with guys like Bouchard, Wahlstrom and Hayton.

I wouldn't be too worried about his compete level either. You'd obviously like him to play a bit more physical given his size and play a little more defense, but that's not something I'm putting much weight into if I'm looking for a goal scorer.

Reactions: Zaddy and Aerrol

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
It's a long ways away, but of the Oilers end up with a high pick Alex Newhook is my guy. Speed, skill, smarts, hustle. The complete package.

His goal at 6:39 is a pretty good example of what he's capable of. Give him 2-3 years and he'll be an impact player in the NHL. Has elite potential written all over him.

This looks to be a pretty strong draft though, especially for forwards so he's just one of many interesting names right now. Dach, Cozens, Suzuki, Turcotte, Podkolzin, Krebs, Cajkovic have gotten some good press too. Not to mention Hughes and Kakko who seem to be the consensus top1 and top2 respectively at the moment.

I was wondering when you were going to post in here again :). Glad to see you back reporting on prospects! I always love your reports/opinions.

Reactions: Zaddy

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Haven't seen him a ton, but his skating never looked like an issue to me. Not a burner by any means and he kind of has an awkward upright stride, but he has no problems getting around.

I think the whole skating thing is something the scouting community needs to pump the brakes on. There seems to be this idea that if a player's skating isn't elite, it's an issue. We saw it a lot last year with guys like Bouchard, Wahlstrom and Hayton.

I wouldn't be too worried about his compete level either. You'd obviously like him to play a bit more physical given his size and play a little more defense, but that's not something I'm putting much weight into if I'm looking for a goal scorer.

Have to agree with this and I rate skating very highly as a skill I look for in prospects. It's getting to the point that skating just feels like the latest scouting fad, like size back around 2006-2010. Yes skating is a huge advantage in today's game but being a great skater isn't enough and being a good skater is hardly a death sentence. The leagues faster but you don't need to skate like McDavid to thrive.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax

A little bit slower to start this season but the kid can play . He can scrap as well . His skating he great , not McDavid level but who is . Kid has everything the Oilers need , energy , skating , shot and could take care of the softer players on his line .

Scouting report :

Raphael Lavoie (6-foot-3, 191 pounds) is a right-handed center playing in his third season with the Halifax Mooseheads of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League. Lavoie, 18, is an A rated skater in NHL Central Scouting's October Players to Watch list, and a projected first-round candidate for the 2019 NHL Draft. He had 63 points (30 goals, 33 assists) in 68 regular-season games last season, and has four points (three goals, one assist) and 19 shots on goal in four games this season. Lavoie will offer a draft diary each month for NHL.com leading up to the draft, June 21-22, 2019.
Hi everyone,
I am very pleased to be working with NHL.com throughout what is already a very exciting season for me, with the NHL Draft on the horizon, and the Halifax Mooseheads.
Since Halifax will host the 2019 Memorial Cup tournament, we will automatically take part as the host team.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
A little bit slower to start this season but the kid can play . He can scrap as well . His skating he great , not McDavid level but who is . Kid has everything the Oilers need , energy , skating , shot and could take care of the softer players on his line .

Scouting report :

Raphael Lavoie (6-foot-3, 191 pounds) is a right-handed center playing in his third season with the Halifax Mooseheads of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League. Lavoie, 18, is an A rated skater in NHL Central Scouting's October Players to Watch list, and a projected first-round candidate for the 2019 NHL Draft. He had 63 points (30 goals, 33 assists) in 68 regular-season games last season, and has four points (three goals, one assist) and 19 shots on goal in four games this season. Lavoie will offer a draft diary each month for NHL.com leading up to the draft, June 21-22, 2019.
Hi everyone,
I am very pleased to be working with NHL.com throughout what is already a very exciting season for me, with the NHL Draft on the horizon, and the Halifax Mooseheads.
Since Halifax will host the 2019 Memorial Cup tournament, we will automatically take part as the host team]

I seen him play last year in Halifax and I was impressed. Looking forward to watching Mooseheads this year. Mackenzie has him at 8th, another blogger at 10 and another at 15.

2019 NHL Mock Draft | 2019 NHL Draft | NHL Draft

Sometimes I get the feeling that people out west don't really like drafting players from the Q. I think they are making a bad mistake with that judgement. The game is now all speed and the Q league is full of it. There has been some pretty powerful teams from the Q. I put that 2013 Moosehead teams up with some of the best from the Q. One fella that choose to go to Boston U instead of Mooseheads was Jack Eichel. Could you imagine MacKinnon, Eichel, and Drouin on the same team.

Last edited:

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Arthur Kaliyev is pretty good, his skating can look lazy but he likes to plant himself in front of the net and he's got decent hands.

He reminds me a bit of if Draisaitl was better at shooting than passing.

The biggest question will be if the skating not being elite will be a problem at the big level. He's had a fantastic start.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Keep an eye on Thomas Harley of the Steelheads.

I think this kid has a chance to be this year's Noah Dobson.

Similar size(6'3'' 183lbs) and a great skater. Starting to put it together offensively(9 points in 12 games).

He's the only draft eligible player named to Team OHL for the Russian Super Series coming up.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Not elite skaters--or anything close to it but surprising draft omission C Matthew Struthers and his OA RW Justin Brazeau are currently 3rd and 1st in OHL scoring respectively.

Brazeau--a 6'5 right shot winger would be a decent undrafted UFA sign despite his skating, which requires some extensive work. But IMO Struthers has really good pro potential as well and should be considered for a mid-to-late round pick. Very responsible center who knows how to use his line-mates. They were poised to be one of the top forward units in the league before their LW Luke Burghardt was forced into early retirement. What they've done so far and what they may continue to do this year is nothing short of outstanding.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I like him a lot. Great skater and oozes hockey sense.

Do you like him, @Mcnotloilersfan?

Through circumstance Ive only been to a couple games this season but will start to get out to more now.

I do like what I have seen. Moves very well with the puck and seems to have the smarts to go with it. I want to focus more now on his game in his own end.

I also haven't looked at draft rankings yet or where he may land. Based on what we have in the system I'm not sure I'd use a high pick on him, bit would love to grab him with a mid to late round pick.

Chiarelli/Gretzky scout the OHL often, and haven't been afraid to draft or acquire Ice Dogs. Hamilton, Strome, Mantha, Maksimov.

Reactions: McDNicks17

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
If we want to look at 19 year olds who were overlooked in last year's draft we should pay some attention to Jeremy McKenna of the Moncton Wildcats (QMJHL). Scored 77 pts last year (36 goals, 41 assists). This year he's leading the Quebec league in scoring with 28 pts in 16 games. He attended the Arizona Coyotes rookie camp this fall.

McKenna goals start at 58 seconds in the video.

Interview with highlights towards the end.

Reactions: Mcnotloilersfan

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Kirby Dach is on a f***ing tear rn. Hometown kid as well. If we shit the bed again this year I'll be pulling hard for us to draft him.

Or Cozens. Another big RHS forward. But this guy has an amazing shot whereas Dach is a playmaker.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Kirby Dach is on a ****ing tear rn. Hometown kid as well. If we **** the bed again this year I'll be pulling hard for us to draft him.

Or Cozens. Another big RHS forward. But this guy has an amazing shot whereas Dach is a playmaker.

Dach would be fantastic, been a big fan of this guy since I first saw some footage on him in 16/17. At this rate it looks like he'll be a top5 pick though and I doubt the Oilers will pick that high.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Dach would be fantastic, been a big fan of this guy since I first saw some footage on him in 16/17. At this rate it looks like he'll be a top5 pick though and I doubt the Oilers will pick that high.
Same, which is why I suggested Cozens. Same size and skill combo but he is more of a goal scorer. In theory he's the better fit for our team. We could use a great skating, big, responsible 2 way sniper c/w (Cozens) than a big, 2 way dynamic playmaker center (Dach).

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
OHL watchers, thoughts on this kid?

Brock has him ranked #5 among OHL eligibles. Looks intriguing.

In the game I saw he got stripped twice holding onto the puck too long resulting in opposing team breakaways. He walks the line with confidence but is raw in his decision making. I didn't get much of a chance to notice his defensive game.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Samuel Fagemo at eliteprospects.com

This kid is having a hell of a year so far. Went undrafted last year but seemed to have used that as motivation because he has taken a huge step forward in his development. 10 goals and 14 points in 8 games in juniors and has 4 goals and 8 points in 13 games in SHL as an 18 year old, while also notching 3 goals and 5 points in 5 games in Champions Hockey League (European tournament, also against men). Quite incredible.

He's a player with good skating, good hands but his defining trait is his shot. He's a goalscorer through and through. And he's right-handed to boot, might be someone for the Oilers to look into in the mid rounds of this draft. I've had some concerns with his hockey IQ in the past but seeing him produce the way he has so far at such a high level has alleviated some of those concerns for me, although he'll likely never be the smartest guy out there, but as long as he can find open ice to use his shot that's all you need really.

Some highlights:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad