Prospect Info: The Adolescent 2019 Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
cut.jpg

Never too early to talk draft, right? ;)

This is not a thread to complain about the Oilers standings in the 2018-2019 season. This is a thread to discuss the 2019 NHL Entry Draft from an Oilers-centric view point. We got a good group of draft nerds and it makes us all smarter when we geek out together.

A quick and dirty glance at the prospect pool:

CENTER: R. McLeod, C. Marody, J. Gambradella, A. Rasanen, G. McPhee

LEFT WING: T. Benson, O. Safin

RIGHT WING: K. Yamamoto, K. Maksimov, C. Hebig, P. Russell

LEFT DEFENSE: C. Jones, W. Lagesson, D. Samorukov, D. Simpson, M. Niemalainen

RIGHT DEFENSE: E. Bouchard, E. Bear, F. Berglund, J. Persson, J. Marino, P. Kemp, R. Mantha (?)

GOALTENDER: S. Skinner, D. Wells, O. Rodrigue, H. Hawkey, S. Starrett

• Netminders - well stocked, and we technically used our 5th rounder on a goaltender already. Think we should spend bullets on other positions for a draft!
  • Right Handed Shots - Where offense flows througn 97 & 29, it's important to have an abundance of right hander shooters to capitalize on their setups. The Washington & Winnipeg powerplays with an array of RH shots is something I dream of.
  • Top-6 Offensive Center Depth - I think we're thin down the middle with offensive potential. Even with elite depth on the big club, good organizations have good depth down the middle of the depth chart. In general, the forwards could use more offensive Top-6 projections.
  • The Blueline - The Leftorium is closed. If anything we need to add a left handed defensemen but they are more plentiful. What the blueline could use is more elite and projected Top-4 stock.

---

Doing some quick reconnaissance, it looks like a forward heavy 1st round upon early glance. The WHL is going to be heavily involved after a light year in 2018. The USNTDP will be well represented and boast Jack Hughes.

A pretty decent early 1st round ranking is provided here:

---

I know absolutely nothing, but I shall share what I know:

Jack Hughes (USNTDP) - first and foremost, this is the Jack Hughes draft. Franchise center. Elite everything in a 5'10 package.
Alex Turcotte (USNTDP) - Will be playing behind Hughes and not get the shine he deserves from it. An all situational center.
Cole Caufield (USNTDP) - diminutive 5’6 RHF is electric
Spencer Knight (USNTDP) - 6’3 goalie was huge at the U18s

Alexander Newhook (BCHL) - Said to be better than Jost & Turris in their BCHL seasons. A Boston College commit; Halifax also owns his CHL rights.

Kaapo Kakko (Liiga) - The top Finnish entry is a 6'1 LHF.
Anttoni Honka (Liiga) - 5’10 RD, better than his brother, better #s than Heiskanen at his age.

Maxim Cajkovic (SHL) - 5’11 Slovakian, ripped up U18s great skater, pace, onetimer

Raphael Lavoie (QMJHL) - 6’3 RW PWF with great hands
Jakob Pelletier (QMJHL) - 5'9 forward was 9% of Moncton’s offense as rookie.

Ryan Suzuki (OHL) - Barrie Colts, High Hockey IQ, Speed and playmaking. finds soft areas in coverage
Arthur Kaliyev (OHL) - Hamilton Bulldog, dual citizen RUS/USA, Mega Sniper LH, PWF

Peyton Krebs (WHL) - Kootenay 5’11, Okotoks native, makes plays at top speed, PLY, LW
Dylan Cozens (WHL) - Lethbridge Hurricane 6’3 Forward, hard-driving skilled PWF. RHC
Kirby Dach (WHL) - Saskatoon Blade 6’4 good skater high IQ , Fort Sask. native. RHC
Nolan Foote (WHL) - Kelowna Rocket 6’3, bloodlines, anticipates play well, good shot, stalled?
Bowen Byram (WHL) - Vancouver Giant, 5’11 2-way top dman entry. Transition and Smarts.
Matthew Robertson (WHL) - Edmonton Oil King 6’2 LHD, the local rub. Sherwood Park native.

---

Don't know much about the draft but on first look I'm glad we picked a great RHD prospect last draft. We're likely going to score a forward in this 1st round this year. Even though we could probably use a more guaranteed Top-6 left handed forward in the prospect pool, I'm drawn towards stocking the cupboard with righties. Going to be keeping an eye on hometown(ish) boy Kirby Dach and Raphael Lavoie. I know people scoff at the Oilers and the BCHL, but Alex Newhook looks pretty dynamic. Don't know much about the Oil King's Matthew Robertson but I'm sure I'll become well informed over the next year.

Who are you interested in for the 2019 NHL Entry Draft?

Last edited:
Reactions: 97 and Aerrol

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Matthew Robertson is a hell of a player. Made the u18 team as an underage this year and did not look out of place. He's likely going to play a key role for Canada at the upcoming Hlinka/Gretzky Cup and I expect him to climb the rankings all year.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Kirby Dach obliterated the Bantam AAA points record set by Tyler Benson. He looks like a stud, maybe a quicker Ryan Johansen type.

From my viewings of Peyton Krebs he doesn't really stand out much.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005

Linemate for Safin? I kinda wrestle with if he should avoid a terrible Seadogs team but he doesn’t seem heavy enough for his height just yet for the rigours of the AHL

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

Linemate for Safin?

Don’t know much about that player, but hopefully gives Safin someone to play with

And I agree with the last part about Safin's height/weight.

He should really have no issue getting up to 205-210 with how much frame he has.

Last edited:

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

Linemate for Safin? I kinda wrestle with if he should avoid a terrible Seadogs team but he doesn’t seem heavy enough for his height just yet for the rigours of the AHL

They took another 2001 born Czech at the beginning of the second round, so there's a chance he gets moved to a better team in the Q.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Canucks complete the Cycle, 2 brothers retired 2 brothers back in , Quinn and Jack Hughes drafted by the Nucks. Nucks winning the lottery. Scary a** team in a few years if that happens.

Jack Hughes
B.Boeser
E.Pettersson
Quinn Hughes
B.Horvat

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
They took another 2001 born Czech at the beginning of the second round, so there's a chance he gets moved to a better team in the Q.

how about Drummondville with Rodrigue, Veleno and Beaudin?

or....dare I say it....just don't report and sign with the Oil Kings? :naughty:

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
One guy I’m really intrigued by is Matvei Guskov at eliteprospects.com he’ll be a teammate of Bouchard’s next year in London.

Scouting Report

skilled centre … plays a 200-foot game … highly intelligent … high-end skills and physical tools … good character and work ethic … complete , ISS Hockey 2017

Sounds like the type of player our management and scouts like.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

If the Oilers' season doesn't go well, we can at least hope for the possibility of drafting Jack Hughes.

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
I wouldn’t complain about grabbing the other Foote one bit. They seem to have their Dad in them.
Of course assuming we are at least okay

The Hound

Oct 10, 2015
I really liked Nick Robertson and Ryan Suzuki. I think Robertson is realistic for us, his brother was drafted in the second round last year, and he looks promising. Am I the only Oilers fan hoping Van gets Hughes? It would be pretty cool, and somewhat fitting.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I really liked Nick Robertson and Ryan Suzuki. I think Robertson is realistic for us, his brother was drafted in the second round last year, and he looks promising. Am I the only Oilers fan hoping Van gets Hughes? It would be pretty cool, and somewhat fitting.

They already got that once with the Sedins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad