Prospect Info: The Adolescent 2019 Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Raphael Lavoie would be the perfect pick for our team if we end up in the 10-15 range. 6'4 198, so he has size. Has one of, if not the best shot/goal scoring in the draft. Right handed, skates decently well, can play c or w, plays Ovi spot on pp. He would be perfect.

I'm not a big fan of Lavoie

He's putting up pretty poor numbers for a guy with a late birthday and his skill set.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Speaking of overagers, any interesting ones coming out of OHL? I know @belair likes Justin Brazeau. What about Tye Felhaber and Kevin Hancock? Is there any interest in signing these guys?

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Speaking of overagers, any interesting ones coming out of OHL? I know @belair likes Justin Brazeau. What about Tye Felhaber and Kevin Hancock? Is there any interest in signing these guys?
Felhaber has looked good this year. Cole Carter, McLeod's linemate has been noticeable early on. I'm also quite fond of Alan Lyczarczyk's game, though I'm not certain he's got a ton of NHL upside.

I think Brazeau is an awesome talent, but I'm aware he's going to see the same hurdles that came up for Nick Paul when he turned pro. Both of these guys used their size to their advantage in junior and that just isn't something that flies in the big leagues. I think Brazeau's offensive creativity is a step or two higher than what Paul had in his arsenal in junior. Both still need to address their skating.

Reactions: Zaddy

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
We've come to that point of the year again where the team is dog shit and Oilers fans start looking to the draft and being a better team next year. Any standouts this year besides Hughes?

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
We've come to that point of the year again where the team is dog **** and Oilers fans start looking to the draft and being a better team next year. Any standouts this year besides Hughes?

Maybe I'm crazy, but Kirby Dach kinda reminds me a little bit of Mario Lemieux in the few games I've seen.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
We've come to that point of the year again where the team is dog **** and Oilers fans start looking to the draft and being a better team next year. Any standouts this year besides Hughes?

Kirby Dach is one of my favorites this year. He's pretty much the complete package. 6'4, 198 lbs right-handed center with great hockey IQ and skill. Good skater with really soft hands and he's an Alberta boy to boot :) I think he has a very good chance of being a high-end top line forward in the NHL.

He's pretty much a consensus top3 pick at the moment though so it would likely require the Oilers to win the lottery in order to nab him.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Kirby Dach is one of my favorites this year. He's pretty much the complete package. 6'4, 198 lbs right-handed center with great hockey IQ and skill. Good skater with really soft hands and he's an Alberta boy to boot :) I think he has a very good chance of being a high-end top line forward in the NHL.

He's pretty much a consensus top3 pick at the moment though so it would likely require the Oilers to win the lottery in order to nab him.

Good skater you say? I'm on board ;)

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Brock's Preliminary Media/Scout Top 10 came out today.

OHL Prospects: Preliminary Media/Scout Top 10 for the 2019 NHL Draft

I might have to try to catch more Knights games. McMichael and Guskov seem to be generating some buzz(and obviously Bouchard is there too).

McMichael definitely sounds interesting. The reports in Brock's ranking says he is smart, extremely good skater, great two-way player AND he has a rocket of a shot? If all of that is true, sign me the heck up.

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Brett Leason is lighting the dub on fire. Def burning down villages this year.

Overager eligible for the 2019 draft. 6'4 right shot center/wing. Gpg and over 2 ppg in the WHL rn.

No way our first is late enough to grab him in the 1st round (he's projected late 1st/early 2nd). I would love to snag him if he's there when we pick with the 2nd rounder.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Thoughts on Cole Caufield? Would it be a mistake to shy away from him because of having Yamamoto?

He's another tiny dude(5'7'' 155lbs), but he's lighting it up on the USNTDP.

He's got the whole package offensively and might have the best shot in the draft. 19 goals in 23 games on the u18 team this season. 44 goals in 40 games on the u17 team last season.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Thoughts on Cole Caufield? Would it be a mistake to shy away from him because of having Yamamoto?

He's another tiny dude(5'7'' 155lbs), but he's lighting it up on the USNTDP.

He's got the whole package offensively and might have the best shot in the draft. 19 goals in 23 games on the u18 team this season. 44 goals in 40 games on the u17 team last season.

I think it depends on where the Oilers pick land. I feel like he could probably be a solid pick in the mid 1st, not sure I take him much higher than that, but I haven't seen him that much, especially recently.

While on the subject of USNTDP guys another guy that intrigues me is Matthew Boldy. 6'2, 187 lbs left winger who's been drawing a lot of comparisons to the Tkachuk brothers, but maybe without the edge and agitation.

Seeing how those guys translated to the NHL and have proven everyone doubting their offensive ceiling wrong, Boldy might be on the same path and a player like that who is big and strong and very good around the net would be valuable for this team.

LW is also probably the weakest area on this team and in the pipeline right now, only really have Benson there while on the right side we're stacked with Pulju, Yamamoto, Maximov, Safin etc.

Boldy is really highly rated by the scouts right now too, everyone of FC, McKeens, ISS and HP has him in their top10. So he could be an interesting option in that 8-12 range.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Taking Yamamoto as high as 22nd was a mistake. Now we want another Yamamoto with a 1st?? There's nothing wrong with drafting these players but you draft them in mid to later rounds

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Drafted way too high for someone his size when better players are on board. I liked him as a player but not at 22nd
I guess. I guess we just need to find the next Mark McNeill or Tyler Biggs, centers with size.

I think I get it I guess, but I think this need to classify him as too small is rather pointless on the whole. Also to assume you could get him lower is a pretty big assumption.

Reactions: Mcnotloilersfan

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I guess. I guess we just need to find the next Mark McNeill or Tyler Biggs, centers with size.

I think I get it I guess, but I think this need to classify him as too small is rather pointless on the whole. Also to assume you could get him lower is a pretty big assumption.
We went with Klefbom thankfully with the 19th pick. Size, skating and positional need. Save the midgets for the 2nd rounds or later

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Taking Yamamoto as high as 22nd was a mistake. Now we want another Yamamoto with a 1st?? There's nothing wrong with drafting these players but you draft them in mid to later rounds

He wasn't a reach at that spot in any way. Often when you pick that high, you're going to have to wait a few years for the player to contribute. I know those aren't expectations that we are used to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->