Prospect Info: The Adolescent 2019 Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
See y'all! I'll head off to Dubai for a week tomorrow. I'll come back late 24th, just in time for the trade deadline.

I'll still be waking up at 5:00 AM to watch the games though :)

Have a safe trip and have fun!! That's dedication...I can barely drag my ass out of bed for work at 5:00 a.m. let alone to watch a floundering hockey team.

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Does Markus Lehto represent all the top young Finnish talent? Just wondering...

Not all, but a decent amount. His agency represents Pulju, Kapanen, Teräväinen, Juolevi, Kotkaniemi and Jokiharju as well as older guys like Rask, Niemi and Filppula. Apparently they represent Mikko Koskinen and William Lagesson as well (and ex-Oilers Oesterle, Joensuu, Hartikainen and Pakarinen).

Laine, Aho, Rantanen, Ristolainen, Granlund and Barkov all belong to different agencies. No idea who Kakko is signed with.

Reactions: Aerrol and Soli

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
Assuming we're drafting top 6, I think there is only one pick that could haunt us - Podkolzin. Guys stats in Russia aren't that good, we don't know how his game will translate to smaller ice. He's someone that you really gotta take your time with if you draft him. Not debut him in the NHL until draft +3 imo.

Besides that, people have voiced their concerns over Cozens, but I'm not that worried if we pick him. I think he'll be a good player, and likely converted to RW (which he has a good skillset for). Someone who could be ready in their draft +2.

That being said, I think Turcotte is gonna be a big sleeper... and in a redraft come out ahead of Dach, Cozens, and Podkolzin.

Reactions: 780il

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Assuming we're drafting top 6, I think there is only one pick that could haunt us - Podkolzin. Guys stats in Russia aren't that good, we don't know how his game will translate to smaller ice. He's someone that you really gotta take your time with if you draft him. Not debut him in the NHL until draft +3 imo.

Besides that, people have voiced their concerns over Cozens, but I'm not that worried if we pick him. I think he'll be a good player, and likely converted to RW (which he has a good skillset for). Someone who could be ready in their draft +2.

That being said, I think Turcotte is gonna be a big sleeper... and in a redraft come out ahead of Dach, Cozens, and Podkolzin.

Podkolzin is definitely a risk, especially with our team's history with Russians. Not to mention his MHL numbers are also very underwhelming. I don't think we will pick him if we are in the top 5 but I could see us gambling on him if he slips out of the top 5 (most sources have him ranked top 5).

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
Podkolzin is definitely a risk, especially with our team's history with Russians. Not to mention his MHL numbers are also very underwhelming. I don't think we will pick him if we are in the top 5 but I could see us gambling on him if he slips out of the top 5 (most sources have him ranked top 5).

There's definitely a possibility for a Zadina like drop (Zadina is a much better prospect too).

I hope that the GM/scouts can get it right if Hughes, Kakko, Dach, and Cozens are off the board. Turcotte is the pick I really want (even over Cozens).

Zagreb, Krebs, and Byram are still all great picks... but if we somehow end up with someone outside of those guys, that's BAD.

I guess Dach is also a cause for concern, apparently his production slowed right the f*** down. Maybe he's playing with a lingering injury.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I think an important thing that sometimes gets lost in hype is that you shouldn't only look at what the player can do, you should also really be considering how often they're doing it.

Podkolzin's scouting report reads like a surefire #1 overall pick, but then you look at his body of work and it's starts to look like scouts are basing their reports on those flashes of brilliance instead of what he's consistently bringing.

Like I brought up before, Pod may have the tools to become a similar player to those ranked around him, but it seems needlessly risky to take a player who isn't already a great junior hockey player.

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
I know people hate Anaheim and all. But losing to them on Saturday puts a comfortable distance between us and them. Almost makes us a lock for a top 5 pick.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008

To be fair Podkolzin dominated at the Hlinka tournament... which was at Rogers Place.

Reactions: Stud Muffin

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
You realize Kakko is having a pretty special season too? He's close to PPG playing against men in the finnish elite league. Currently 4th all-time in PPG from a U18 player, only bested by Granlund and Barkov in the modern era (with very few points differing, it's literally a 1 point difference between Barkov and Kakko currently and a 3 point difference between Kakko and Granlund) and the season isn't over yet so he could still improve on those numbers.

He's also currently 4th in amount of goals scored in a season by a U18 player all-time in Liiga and only needs 3 more to take 2nd place behind Barkov and 5 more to tie him. For reference Barkov played 53 games in his draft season, Kakko so far has 35 games played, so currently his GPG is better than Barkov, and better than Patrik Laine for that matter too.

Ironically someone tweeted out the very same thing I mentioned here, but in a more digestible form:

Make no mistake, this is a special player. Hughes is a terrific talent but Kakko should absolutely be in the conversation for #1 based on his overall body of work.

Reactions: Aerrol

oil Leaks

The Ultimate Decoy
Jul 5, 2011
2 very interesting Swedish prospects to keep an eye on in Albin Grewe and Nils Höglander. Both play with high intensity and unfortunately are probably playing their way out of the 2nd round. But would love to select one of them if they are available in the 2nd round.

Some scouting reports via prospectpipeline.ca
Albin Grewe
Nils Höglander

I think there is a chance Nils Höglander can drop to the 2nd round to due his size.

Last edited:

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
All this said. Either Hughes or Kakko could heavily help next year. Kakko and Hughes are Hall level prospects right now. And would easily fit in the top 6 with no issues and no, it wouldn't be rushing them either.

Win the lotto, get either of them and you have a legit 4th piece for the top 6.

Hell if Anders Lee makes free agency or Dzingel, sign one of them too

Lee/Dzingel - McDavid - Someone
RNH - Draisaitl - Hughes/Kakko

Could be a very good start to a decent roster

nafrelio

Aug 26, 2005
brite feuchure
Teams around us have a lot more significant assets to trade that will weaken their rosters. We aren't going to catch OTT, nor DET. I can see NJ and LA doing more selling than we will too. I think the lowest we end up is third last. With a run of wins, we could climb up to 8th worst or so. It'll be interesting to see if MIN is selling (Coyle) to tank or to be a buyer. PHX could go either way. I say we end up where we are now, drafting 5th (before lottery).

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017

The way the Oilers luck has been with Euro wingers and college forwards, maybe they should stay away from drafting them in the high first round? I as well hope we don’t end up with Podkolzin !!

Reactions: McDrai
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad