Prospect Info: The Adolescent 2019 Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Why is Hughes getting so under rated in this thread?

He’s #1, has been for about 3 years already.

I don't really care what consensus says for the past 3 years, I care about what it says on draft day. Different guys break out at different times. See Patrick Kane.

When it comes to Hughes vs Kakko, you have to ask three important questions. Can they both drive a line? Are their skill levels similar? Are they both strong skaters? If the answer to all of those questions is yes, why not consider the guy who is bigger and a better goal scorer?

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
I don't really care what consensus says for the past 3 years, I care about what it says on draft day. Different guys break out at different times. See Patrick Kane.

When it comes to Hughes vs Kakko, you have to ask three important questions. Can they both drive a line? Are their skill levels similar? Are they both strong skaters? If the answer to all of those questions is yes, why not consider the guy who is bigger and a better goal scorer?

Draft day is no different. Hughes is #1 unanimously.

There is a gap between the 2.

Hughes is more skilled. Hughes is a better skater.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
In the end Hughes and Kakko are like Matthews and Laine in that they are both franchise changing talents.

I would do f***ing backflips if we landed either. Drafting one of these 2 finally gives us that play driving elite forward to play with Nuge on the 2nd line, or even play with Drai on the 2nd line and move Nuge to 3c.

X - Mcdavid - Drai
X - Nuge - Hughes/Kakko

OR

X - Mcdavid - X
X - Drai - Hughes/Kakko
X - Nuge - X

Although I would lean towards the first one since we can see from the Kadri situation in Toronto that his numbers took a big hit going down to 3c and if we want Nuge to be as productive as possible we play him in the top 6 and Drai is better with Mcdavid as well.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
No debate at all actually.

Hughes has a 1.9PPG

Next player closest 1.6 in Matthews

The guy will be the best American ever.

Sam Gagner - 2.23 PGG
Steven Stamkos - 1.72 PPG

I'm not saying Hughes is Gagner, but look beyond the stats. Hughes is a very different player than Matthews and there is question as to how well it will translate to the NHL. Plus, this isn't Hughes v Matthews, this is Hughes v Kakko.

Reactions: Aerrol

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005

Hughes has a 1.9PPG

I'm with you in that I'd take Hughes over Kakko, but I respectfully disagree that he'll be better than Matthews.

I like Hughes a lot, he's skilled, smart, quick, but I don't see generational, franchise player like Matthews.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Sam Gagner - 2.23 PGG
Steven Stamkos - 1.72 PPG

I'm not saying Hughes is Gagner, but look beyond the stats. Hughes is a very different player than Matthews and there is question as to how well it will translate to the NHL. Plus, this isn't Hughes v Matthews, this is Hughes v Kakko.

Worst comparable ever.

Stamkos was a sure fire #1 pick.

Gagner was not.

Everyone knew that outside the PPG arguments.

Hughes is the Number 1 pick.

In case you missed this here’s a little evidence.

https://www.tsn.ca/it-s-still-the-jack-hughes-draft-1.1246625

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
Draft day is no different. Hughes is #1 unanimously.

There is a gap between the 2.

Hughes is more skilled. Hughes is a better skater.
When Jack Hughes enters league next year he might allready be the second best skater, while Kakko is a good skater there’s still a huge gap between them in that part of there games.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Reactions: Aerrol

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
See y'all! I'll head off to Dubai for a week tomorrow. I'll come back late 24th, just in time for the trade deadline.

I'll still be waking up at 5:00 AM to watch the games though :)

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Why is Hughes getting so under rated in this thread?

He’s #1, has been for about 3 years already.

Nolan Patrick was #1 for 3 years, that doesn't mean jack squat. Hischier is now clearly the better prospect, as well as many other guys from that draft like Heiskanen who didn't cement himself as a top pick until his U18 worlds performance 2 months before draft day and Pettersson who went 5th but was ranked all over the place from #5 to #20.

A lot can happen in 3 years and guys develop differently as well as Europeans being notoriously underrated compared to North Americans on draft lists.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Nolan Patrick was #1 for 3 years, that doesn't mean jack squat. Hischier is now clearly the better prospect, as well as many other guys from that draft like Heiskanen who didn't cement himself as a top pick until his U18 worlds performance 2 months before draft day and Pettersson who went 5th but was ranked all over the place from #5 to #20.

A lot can happen in 3 years and guys develop differently as well as Europeans being notoriously underrated compared to North Americans on draft lists.
Exactly.

Look back at that draft now and Petterson goes #1, Heiskanen easily #2. Depending on how good Makar ends up, Hischier could be around #4/5.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

Hughes has a 1.9PPG

You realize Kakko is having a pretty special season too? He's close to PPG playing against men in the finnish elite league. Currently 4th all-time in PPG from a U18 player, only bested by Granlund and Barkov in the modern era (with very few points differing, it's literally a 1 point difference between Barkov and Kakko currently and a 3 point difference between Kakko and Granlund) and the season isn't over yet so he could still improve on those numbers.

He's also currently 4th in amount of goals scored in a season by a U18 player all-time in Liiga and only needs 3 more to take 2nd place behind Barkov and 5 more to tie him. For reference Barkov played 53 games in his draft season, Kakko so far has 35 games played, so currently his GPG is better than Barkov, and better than Patrik Laine for that matter too.

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba

There’s just to much speed and skill not to take Jack Hughes imo. All he does is create chances all day long with his skating and hockey iq. He’s basically the closest thing you can get to another McDavid.

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
If we draft 3rd overall, who do we take? forward or d-man?

Last edited by a moderator:

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
Does Markus Lehto represent all the top young Finnish talent? Just wondering...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->