The ACC is Just a Cocktail Bar/Sushi Restaurant

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I don't know whether it's a Toronto thing, but I was "shushed" at Leaf games and at Jays games by the "security" or ushers, whoever these people think they are. And I used to go, paint face, hair, wear jersey, foam finger, the whole shabang.

Not calling you a liar, I just sorta doubt that.

When I go, I try to be the loudest in my section, and like I said before it about 95% of the time gets people going. Some people just sit there and look at you weird, but who cares.

Also, just because the atmosphere is dead, doesn't mean it's the "suits" fault. There are about what? 17,000 other fans in the arena?

It's not the suits. (In fact, I have seen suits be louder then people in leaf jersey's) It's the whole arena that aren't cheering

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
I don't know whether it's a Toronto thing, but I was "shushed" at Leaf games and at Jays games by the "security" or ushers, whoever these people think they are. And I used to go, paint face, hair, wear jersey, foam finger, the whole shabang.

Not sure what to make of that. I've been to many many hockey and baseball games in my life and that has never once occurred to me or have I witnessed someone being 'shushed' by security. Are you sure you weren't belligerently drunk?

socratic

Jun 27, 2011
Budweiser should do a commercial where they sneak actual fans into the lower bowl for a game, then film the leafs coming out and smiling and being all surprised. Then do interviews with them after asking what it felt like to play in front of a crowd.

In fact they should just do a commercial where they prank the Toronto Rock crowd by "mistakenly" seating them at a Leaf game.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
Can we get a sticky for people to whine about how others choose to enjoy their trip to the ACC?

We can have one mega thread for any trade idea brought up which ends up consisting several discussions about different things but we multiple threads a week on the very same subject.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Not sure what to make of that. I've been to many many hockey and baseball games in my life and that has never once occurred to me or have I witnessed someone being 'shushed' by security. Are you sure you weren't belligerently drunk?

This.

I've been boistrous with large groups on multiple occasions and never encounterd this at any of the TO venues.

I find as long as you're not using profanity or saying anything inappropriate, or acting clearly intoxicated you're good to go.

mstew

Mar 2, 2011
Canada
Not sure why so many people are giving the OP flack about this, he is absolutely correct. The atmosphere at Leafs games recently is pathetic, considering we are the biggest fanbase in the NHL. I think if we keep winning though this will change over time

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Agreed.

Looks like suits at Leaf games have been a long standing tradition, LOL

POSTCARD+-+TORONTO+-+MAPLE+LEAF+GARDENS+-+B+AND+W+-+NICE+-+1930s.jpg

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
If you sit in the gold/platinums you will actually get told to quiet down or get dirty looks for acting like a real fan. Its not that a lot of the corporate people arent there, its that they will often kill the atmosphere for people who are legit fans

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
If you sit in the gold/platinums you will actually get told to quiet down or get dirty looks for acting like a real fan. Its not that a lot of the corporate people arent there, its that they will often kill the atmosphere for people who are legit fans

I've sat in the golds/platinums and never been told to be quiet while cheering loudly with the people I went. Not sure how you can make blanket/absolute statements like this.

Remuskokafication

Jul 7, 2008
Scarborough
if you're excited about a play and cheering you shouldn't be scanning the corporate drones faces for disapproving looks

scarlet512

Hong Kong Leaf Fan
May 1, 2010
Hong Kong
The "suits" argument is kind of dumb. Yes some are taking clients there -- whom are fans (they request these things).

But, many of them WORK downtown and have to go to work in suits... you work till 5, 6 pm... If you don't live close, you're not gonna go home and change. I've been to a Leafs game in a suit before.

Same here when I worked in Toronto....attended sports events in suits. Although I took the decency to wear a blue tie ;)

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

I think Toronto on the whole is just a reserved city, coupled with losing Leafs teams, and you get a sterile environment. I don't think this is a suits vs issue, since you can go to plenty of concerts in town with a young crowd and people just stand around with a beer in hand, or arms crossed...

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto

I'll vouch for him. Wasn't security telling me to shush but I had suits turn around and give me stink eye because they thought I was being too loud. And no, I wasn't being belligerently drunk. For example, I hollered at Neil for instigating and then refusing to drop the gloves at an Ottawa game last season and had a guy give me the stink eye for that.

Patty Lee

I hate the Habs
Nov 26, 2003
Visit site
Not calling you a liar, I just sorta doubt that.

When I go, I try to be the loudest in my section, and like I said before it about 95% of the time gets people going. Some people just sit there and look at you weird, but who cares.

Also, just because the atmosphere is dead, doesn't mean it's the "suits" fault. There are about what? 17,000 other fans in the arena?

It's not the suits. (In fact, I have seen suits be louder then people in leaf jersey's) It's the whole arena that aren't cheering
I won't use the word liar, but ******** comes to mind. maybe looking for attention? I'm not sure, but do not believe anyone was asked to quiet down at a hockey game.

I've sat everywhere from 5 rows off the ice to near the top and never has anyone told anyone to quiet down or sit down. and I guess I've been lucky that every game I've been too have been the right ones to go to since none of them were like a library. Now granted I was only at 1 game last year, the 7-1 win over the Caps, so maybe I just got lucky?

I do remember a game back at the Gardens, I'm going to say early 90's maybe, where my girlfriend at the time and I went and the girl in front of us sat and read a damn magazine the entire first period not looking at the game once. But other than that 1 fan, that one game, I guess I've been pretty lucky with the kind of crowd that goes when I happen to.

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
I'll vouch for him. Wasn't security telling me to shush but I had suits turn around and give me stink eye because they thought I was being too loud. And no, I wasn't being belligerently drunk. For example, I hollered at Neil for instigating and then refusing to drop the gloves at an Ottawa game last season and had a guy give me the stink eye for that.

55291_o.gif

dissociater

Feb 21, 2008
Do you have anything else to contribute?

Guessing you don't watch Seinfeld.

Anyway, the real reason the seats are like this after intermissions is that the ushers won't let you go to your seats while the game is in progress. If you miss the puck drop because you're buying a beer or lining up for the bathroom, you don't get to head back to your seat until a break in the play. Sometimes it takes several breaks in play if the usher to your section is only letting a few people through. Sometimes it takes until the first commercial time out before the majority of people are able to get back.

BillyD

JUST WIN BABY
Jun 23, 2009
Considering those tickets aren't available to the general public, I have no clue what you're blathering about

Really? That's your case?

I only go reds or platinums. I've been in reds and been shushed, I've been in plats and been given looks for standing and blocking some kid's view

The place is a freakin' library.

merely suggesting our frustrated lad apply himself and get a job in a field where these tickets are more likely to become available, maybe as a lawyer, accountant, financial industries

maybe once he did that he wouldn't even feel the need to come here and rant annonymously against the tyranny of nameless "suits"

turn that frown upside down charlie brown

:facepalm:

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Guessing you don't watch Seinfeld.

Anyway, the real reason the seats are like this after intermissions is that the ushers won't let you go to your seats while the game is in progress. If you miss the puck drop because you're buying a beer or lining up for the bathroom, you don't get to head back to your seat until a break in the play. Sometimes it takes several breaks in play if the usher to your section is only letting a few people through. Sometimes it takes until the first commercial time out before the majority of people are able to get back.

Yeah this is true. I go to quite a few games (maybe 10/year). The whole arena has trouble getting back to their seats in time, its not a platinum only thing... they just take the bad rap because they're visible on tv, and also have the biggest excuse not to be back in time (lounge/business).

I was at a game in Buffalo earlier this year and it was the same thing, people trickling in 5 minutes into the period. Its a combination of things, lineups for bathrooms, wait time to get beer/food, ushers waiting for the stop in play. Also there isn't an official warning for the period restarting... this might encourage people to get back to their seats sooner.

Either way lets give this a rest. It's been an issue every year since the ACC has been in existence, and it gets brough up every single week. Either sticky a thread so the clueless folk who come around once and a while can go in and *****, or their useless new thread can be merged, or just close this topic all together.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Is there any other fan base in hockey that behaves like this one? Fans judging other fans of the same team??? May the best Leaf fan step forward please? Better not be wearing a suit, munching on sushi and flashing that stinkeye!! This whole topic is pathetic.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I've sat in the golds/platinums and never been told to be quiet while cheering loudly with the people I went. Not sure how you can make blanket/absolute statements like this.

Its not a blanket statement. Its happened to me before so it happens. Might not happen often but it happens, therefore not a blanket statement. Someone else in this thread has said theyve been told to quiet down by security and I've got a buddy whose been told to quiet down for cheering too loudly at a game before.

I wouldnt say its a completely blanket statement at all. Your definition of cheering loudly might be different than mine though. The ACC is pretty quiet so cheering loudly there compared to the people around you is different than in other arenas.

IWD

May 28, 2003
Visit site
merely suggesting our frustrated lad apply himself and get a job in a field where these tickets are more likely to become available, maybe as a lawyer, accountant, financial industries

maybe once he did that he wouldn't even feel the need to come here and rant annonymously against the tyranny of nameless "suits"

turn that frown upside down charlie brown

:facepalm:

If you haven't noticed, those types of jobs aren't readily available. It's not a matter of applying oneself, as the average person likely works harder than the average suit. It's not an laziness problem. It's a social mobility problem stemming from the failure of capitalism as a whole.

It's easy to blame the poor or the wealthy, but they're both pawns in the bigger scheme of things. The US and EU economies need to pick up, and only then will it be an issue of bootstrapping.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad