Blue Jays Discussion: The 3B hero the Blue Jays need: Drury hits walk-off HR! (oh and some kid played too)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leafblooded

Jul 27, 2012
T.
When you're speaking publicly, do you choose to speak in your non-native tongue? Even his dad, to this day, gives interviews using an interpreter.
Actually, I do... I don't think anyone would understand me otherwise.

I just find it strange that a 20-year old, extremely affluent person, born into an international family, and working in an international industry since he was a child is unable to communicate in English

GreytWun

Sep 29, 2017
Ontario

I just find it strange that a 20-year old, extremely affluent person, born into an international family, and working in an international industry since he was a child is unable to communicate in English

Who cares which language he speaks. Everything is always a conspiracy nowadays.

Leafs27

Ceci n'est pas un joueur de hockey.
Mar 13, 2007
Kingston, ON

That's not exactly true, he can speak English, but is just uncomfortable doing interviews in English at the moment. As long as he is confident at the plate, I'm good!

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada

Clearly he should be thrown off the team and out of the majors leagues for this obvious and serious affront to absolutely nobody... :sarcasm:

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
North American media is annoying, the questions they ask are stupid. So rather than deal with them they speak through a translator.

A lot of players speak English but use a translator on purpose to avoid the media.

It’s smart, I would do that if I could.

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
North American media is annoying, the questions they ask are stupid. So rather than deal with them they speak through a translator.

A lot of players speak English but use a translator on purpose to avoid the media.

It’s smart, I would do that if I could.

*phone ring*
-Hello
-Hi, this is the CRA
-Que?

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Fun day at the ballpark today. Picked up a Vladdy Jr. jersey while I was there to add to the collection. :)

metafour

Apr 6, 2008
Clearly he should be thrown off the team and out of the majors leagues for this obvious and serious affront to absolutely nobody... :sarcasm:

It hurts the game because these guys have zero marketability when they refuse to speak the language even though as mentioned, they ALL can to some degree (if not fully). Doing the stupid interviews is part of the job, as is showing some level of interest in communicating with the fans that are ultimately the reason why they are paid. Name me one other sport wherein an athlete can spend 10+ years in a foreign country and NOT be expected to communicate to some degree in the native tongue after that many years? It doesn't exist anywhere else. In fact, in soccer you will often see players who pick up MULTIPLE languages due to the nature of countries having their own leagues.

The MLB babies these guys far too much and god forbid you bring it up without the SJW journalist idiots like Keith Law crying "racism".

Reactions: KapG

Leaftors

Jul 21, 2011
Welland, Ontario
It hurts the game because these guys have zero marketability when they refuse to speak the language even though as mentioned, they ALL can to some degree (if not fully). Doing the stupid interviews is part of the job, as is showing some level of interest in communicating with the fans that are ultimately the reason why they are paid. Name me one other sport wherein an athlete can spend 10+ years in a foreign country and NOT be expected to communicate to some degree in the native tongue after that many years? It doesn't exist anywhere else. In fact, in soccer you will often see players who pick up MULTIPLE languages due to the nature of countries having their own leagues.

The MLB babies these guys far too much and god forbid you bring it up without the SJW journalist idiots like Keith Law crying "racism".

This post is ignorant.

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON

All of the fans asking for autographs and laughing with Jr. before the game seemed terribly distraught that he'd do interviews in another language. The woman who asked him to hold her baby clearly hates that he won't communicate with the media in the English. He's the most marketable athlete in Canada right now, no matter how he does interviews.

With the amount of scrutiny that follows every single interview, do you not think it's possible that he just wants to best express himself with no possible misinterpretation? Do you think he wants to give the best answers possible? Or do you really believe that Vladdy is sitting there going "Nope, I will not learn English, I will not answer your questions in that language, screw that language."?? Holy moly get your head out of your a**.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Vlad Jr was speaking english pretty well with Tellez during BP so it's likely with how many questions he gets asked it's just easier in his native language and avoids confusion.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC

1) he does the interviews, just prefers an interpreter to avoid any conflict.
2) he can speak English so do we know for sure he avoids talking with fans?
3) Malkin is still pretty terrible with English. I’m unsure of how much he does with interviews and fan interaction.
4) what’s the % of pro soccer players being European? It’s pretty common for Europeans to speak multiple languages.
5) as far as marketing goes. The MLB themselves fail big time with that. I’n Sure if they approached Vlad to do some commercials or whatever he could speak the lines he needs to in English.

But by all means go ahead and shit on the 20 year old kid for not being fluent in English(Which is btw one of the most confusing language to learn, North Americans speak it every day and suck at English) by now.

Leafblooded

Jul 27, 2012
T.
1) he does the interviews, just prefers an interpreter to avoid any conflict.
2) he can speak English so do we know for sure he avoids talking with fans?
3) Malkin is still pretty terrible with English. I’m unsure of how much he does with interviews and fan interaction.
4) what’s the % of pro soccer players being European? It’s pretty common for Europeans to speak multiple languages.
5) as far as marketing goes. The MLB themselves fail big time with that. I’n Sure if they approached Vlad to do some commercials or whatever he could speak the lines he needs to in English.

But by all means go ahead and **** on the 20 year old kid for not being fluent in English(Which is btw one of the most confusing language to learn, North Americans speak it every day and suck at English) by now.
All of the fans asking for autographs and laughing with Jr. before the game seemed terribly distraught that he'd do interviews in another language. The woman who asked him to hold her baby clearly hates that he won't communicate with the media in the English. He's the most marketable athlete in Canada right now, no matter how he does interviews.

With the amount of scrutiny that follows every single interview, do you not think it's possible that he just wants to best express himself with no possible misinterpretation? Do you think he wants to give the best answers possible? Or do you really believe that Vladdy is sitting there going "Nope, I will not learn English, I will not answer your questions in that language, screw that language."?? Holy moly get your head out of your a**.
Who cares which language he speaks. Everything is always a conspiracy nowadays.

My goodness I think Vladdy is awesome and I welcome him dearly, just thought it was peculiar that he does interviews in Spanish. Jeez

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
My goodness I think Vladdy is awesome and I welcome him dearly, just thought it was peculiar that he does interviews in Spanish. Jeez
Well for one I didn’t quote you specifically so unsure why you quoted me. But what we’re getting at is that it’s not peculiar. It’s actually decently common which is why it doesn’t bother fans who follow the day to day going ons of the team.

Leafblooded

Jul 27, 2012
T.
Well for one I didn’t quote you specifically so unsure why you quoted me. But what we’re getting at is that it’s not peculiar. It’s actually decently common which is why it doesn’t bother fans who follow the day to day going ons of the team.

For the sake of discussion (my appreciation for his talent notwithstanding) if I were to somewhat criticize rather than just observe, how about that recent weight gain though? Looks like he's toned up recently but he's really gotten quite large over the last few years

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
For the sake of discussion (my appreciation for his talent notwithstanding) if I were to somewhat criticize rather than just observe, how about that recent weight gain though? Looks like he's toned up recently but he's really gotten quite large over the last few years
It’s a reach for people looking for a negative against him.

He made some athletic throws in his first game that his weight didn’t hinder him on one bit. Sure he won’t have the same range as someone slimmer than him but that doesn’t mean he can’t be a plus defender at 3B. With his offensive profile average defence at 3B will still make him a plus player overall.

We were able to sign him because we were willing to let him play his preferred position. Since we don’t have intentions of winning soon let him learn the position and if/when we’re ready to compete the organization feels he isn’t suited there I have no reason to believe he won’t switch to 1B/DH for the better of the team.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010

A big jays fan isnt bothered because of your reasoning.
A moderate jays/baseball fan doesnt care enough for it to be an issue for them.

I dont quite understand where any grief might be coming from.

Last edited:

darko

Feb 16, 2009
It’s a reach for people looking for a negative against him.

He made some athletic throws in his first game that his weight didn’t hinder him on one bit. Sure he won’t have the same range as someone slimmer than him but that doesn’t mean he can’t be a plus defender at 3B. With his offensive profile average defence at 3B will still make him a plus player overall.

We were able to sign him because we were willing to let him play his preferred position. Since we don’t have intentions of winning soon let him learn the position and if/when we’re ready to compete the organization feels he isn’t suited there I have no reason to believe he won’t switch to 1B/DH for the better of the team.

Plus defender at 3B? He'll never be that. Fortunately his bat is so good that he'll still be a special player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->