Blue Jays Discussion: The 3B hero the Blue Jays need: Drury hits walk-off HR! (oh and some kid played too)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
Hopefully we can compete in the next 2 seasons. I was a die hard Jays fan, but the handling of Alex Anthopoulos (who is Massai Ujuiri level good and signed Gurrerro Jr btw) turned me off the team. 4 years later still not happy with that decision to bring in Shapiro and see AA go.

Funny how AA was good for 5 minutes, mostly luck, before the David Price deal fans were screaming for his head, but okay.

Reactions: Forgotusername

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
When you're speaking publicly, do you choose to speak in your non-native tongue? Even his dad, to this day, gives interviews using an interpreter.

I believe it's a political message to speak only in Spanish to the English language press. Fidel Castro did this even though he most definitely was fluent in English.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Would take quite a few years, possibly a decade, of bad bluejays players for me to turn that 'switch' of interest off. Even then, I'd still keep tabs.

Nothing could ever stop me from being a Jays fan. I've been following the team day-in-day out since 1985 when I was a 5th grader. I think the only time in all those years I had even a foggiest notion of saying "I'm done with these guys" is when the idiot Inter-Brewhip owners group threatened to move the team back to Exhibition Stadium when they couldn't reach a lease agreement with the owners of the Skydome, except they didn't seem to realize that the Ex was being torn down at the time. :laugh: Good times!

Reactions: phillipmike

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
I believe it's a political message to speak only in Spanish to the English language press. Fidel Castro did this even though he most definitely was fluent in English.

I can't tell is this is a serious post. A political message? From a 20-year-old baseball player making his major league debut?

I hope it's a joke.

Vladdy Jr. is a 20-year-old kid and he's probably still learning English and doesn't feel comfortable giving interviews in his second language at this point.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Nothing could ever stop me from being a Jays fan. I've been following the team day-in-day out since 1985 when I was a 5th grader. I think the only time in all those years I had even a foggiest notion of saying "I'm done with these guys" is when the idiot Inter-Brewhip owners group threatened to move the team back to Exhibition Stadium when they couldn't reach a lease agreement with the owners of the Skydome, except they didn't seem to realize that the Ex was being torn down at the time. :laugh: Good times!

I don't remember that. Are you sure that wasn't an April Fool's joke?

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I can't tell is this is a serious post. A political message? From a 20-year-old baseball player making his major league debut?

I hope it's a joke.

Vladdy Jr. is a 20-year-old kid and he's probably still learning English and doesn't feel comfortable giving interviews in his second language at this point.

I'm dead serious. Their first name is a political message.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
I don't remember that. Are you sure that wasn't an April Fool's joke?

No, it happened.

It all went down very fast. The lease dispute became public. The owners threatened to move back to the Ex (which was being torn down) and then it was all over. This was all pre-internet and social media, so it was a story that played out very fast and didn't have much shelf life.

I'm guessing the Commissioner's office got involved pretty quickly.

The whole Inter-Brew ownership was a debacle for the team. The company's point man for the Jays, Alan Chapin, lived in New York and was a Yankees fan. He would actually show up at Jays games at Yankee stadium wearing a Yankees hat.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I'm dead serious. Their first name is a political message.

Let's make this clear: I'm not saying he isn't allowed to make a political message. If some foreign power had great influence over my English speaking country to the point that that foreign language dominating and not using it in certain circles could lead to marginalization or secondary status, I could see speaking English as a political message.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
It's been a while since I've watched post-game video, but got pulled in for the Vladi night. Stroman pumped the tires of Drury. Put alot of effort into highlighting the work he does off the field. You could tell Drury was very appreciative. Nice moment.

horner

May 22, 2007
Would love to see Vladdy lover in the lineup.

Love to see him bat with runners on base.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Would love to see Vladdy lover in the lineup.

Love to see him bat with runners on base.

He was batting fifth last night -- which is about as low as one might go for a power hitter. How low in the order do you want him? Also, remember that the higher in the order he is, the more trips to the plate he gets.

Older baseball philosophies suggest batting your best hitter third. Current philosophies are leaning more towards second.

Reactions: Starry Knight

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Pretty impressive debut overall for Vladdy Jr. I was particularly impressed with his defensive ability at 3rd. Much better than I anticipated in an albeit limited sample size.

Looking forward to seeing him live at the ballpark today.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Watched all Vladdy's at bats last night. Already has a Tony Gwynn type knowledge of the zone.

He is going to be special. Can't wait for Bichette , Biggio and Pearson to get here.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Missed the game last night, how was Vladdy's debut?

4 very good at bats, including a double in the bottom of the 9th. His first three showed right away how disciplined he is at the plate. Got robbed of a double by Pinder's great play.

Looked very good defensively at 3rd as well.

Leafs Fan 12

Jan 20, 2011
4 very good at bats, including a double in the bottom of the 9th. His first three showed right away how disciplined he is at the plate. Got robbed of a double by Pinder's great play.

Looked very good defensively at 3rd as well.
Good to hear....he is going to a amazing player for us

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Going to get to see some of the game today....I was out last night and the MLB Network had the Braves games in my region. I forgot to DVR.....

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
This may be a hot take...but earlier in the offseason we were discussing attendance, and I've mentioned that in the past, superstars (Doc, Clemens) only raised our attendance by around ~2k on nights when they pitched, and so it'd be reasonable to assume that Vladdy's presence would have a lower impact...but watching this guy hit is electric, and I wouldn't surprised if he causes a more significant attendance spike than that.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
This may be a hot take...but earlier in the offseason we were discussing attendance, and I've mentioned that in the past, superstars (Doc, Clemens) only raised our attendance by around ~2k on nights when they pitched, and so it'd be reasonable to assume that Vladdy's presence would have a lower impact...but watching this guy hit is electric, and I wouldn't surprised if he causes a more significant attendance spike than that.

If the team is reasonably good then I think a few more people will trek to see him. Especially on weekends or when school gets out next month

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->