Blue Jays Discussion: The 3B hero the Blue Jays need: Drury hits walk-off HR! (oh and some kid played too)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
For anybody hoping for Smoak to be traded, go back and watch the 9th inning of yesterday's game. Vladdy's throw was a bit off line and Smoak reeled it in for the out. I think Jays management loves that and Smoak is going to be here for the year (unless they get an amazing offer for him). They see him as a security blanket for the young infielders on or soon-to-be-on the team.

Reactions: Kurtz

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Good day on the farm. 3/4 affiliates pick up wins.
Gurrieljr and Davis are white hot in Buffalo right now.
Forrest Wall hit his first HR of the year for NH.
Maximo Castillo was dominant last night for Dunedin. Might be a bigger sleeper than Winch, a level higher and ~2yrs younger. Chavez Young is scuffling abit.
Groshans left the game for a pinch runner. Mighta been banged up after stealing a bag.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Maximo Castillo was dominant last night for Dunedin. Might be a bigger sleeper than Winch, a level higher and ~2yrs younger. Chavez Young is scuffling abit.
Groshans left the game for a pinch runner. Mighta been banged up after stealing a bag.

Davis came into the game with 17 plate appearances in Buffalo. He had an OBP over .400, a 164 wRC+... and a BABIP of .000 (2 HR, 4 BB, and a HBP). He's now up to a 194 wRC+ And has a couple non-HR hits.

I can't imagine they'll give up on Brito too quickly because he won't get through waivers, but I really want Davis to get a chance. He wasn't great last year, but he profiles nicely as a 4th OF who plays strong CF defense and has a bit of upside with the bat.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
It hurts the game because these guys have zero marketability when they refuse to speak the language even though as mentioned, they ALL can to some degree (if not fully). Doing the stupid interviews is part of the job, as is showing some level of interest in communicating with the fans that are ultimately the reason why they are paid. Name me one other sport wherein an athlete can spend 10+ years in a foreign country and NOT be expected to communicate to some degree in the native tongue after that many years? It doesn't exist anywhere else. In fact, in soccer you will often see players who pick up MULTIPLE languages due to the nature of countries having their own leagues.

The MLB babies these guys far too much and god forbid you bring it up without the SJW journalist idiots like Keith Law crying "racism".
I don't see Betts, Trout, Arenado, Kershaw as household names...MLB just does a poor job marketing their stars, it has nothing to do with the language.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
Plus defender at 3B? He'll never be that. Fortunately his bat is so good that he'll still be a special player.
I mean it’s very unlikely due to his limited range but to say definitively he won’t be is a little premature. Also + defender just means above replacement level defender. Not a gold glove candidate or anything.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
I don't see Betts, Trout, Arenado, Kershaw as household names...MLB just does a poor job marketing their stars, it has nothing to do with the language.

So what sports stars from major North American League, do you see as household names? Personally, I’m not sure of any beyond LeBron James and Tom Brady.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
So what sports stars from major North American League, do you see as household names? Personally, I’m not sure of any beyond LeBron James and Tom Brady.
In recent times? Kobe, Curry, Wade, Brady, OBJ, Manning, LBJ, Durant and that's just off the top of my head.

It's no secret MLB does pretty much no marketing of their stars, especially compared to the NBA. In a sport where emotion is seen as a nuisance, can you really expect much else? The only sport worse in that regard is the NHL and I wouldn't be shocked to see MLS overtake the NHL in terms of popularity over the next 5-10 years.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
In recent times? Kobe, Curry, Wade, Brady, OBJ, Manning, LBJ, Durant and that's just off the top of my head.

It's no secret MLB does pretty much no marketing of their stars, especially compared to the NBA. In a sport where emotion is seen as a nuisance, can you really expect much else? The only sport worse in that regard is the NHL and I wouldn't be shocked to see MLS overtake the NHL in terms of popularity over the next 5-10 years.

Well, I was thinking current players so that let’s out Kobe and Manning though they were in their time.

As for Curry, Wade, and Durant, if I didn’t half follow basketball, I doubt I’d have ever heard of them. What do you think puts them on the radar of non-basketball fans? Who is OBJ?

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Well, I was thinking current players so that let’s out Kobe and Manning though they were in their time.

As for Curry, Wade, and Durant, if I didn’t half follow basketball, I doubt I’d have ever heard of them. What do you think puts them on the radar of non-basketball fans? Who is OBJ?

There’s definitely non-basketball fans that are aware of Curry. Him and his wife have developed a big social media presence. The NBA is really the only NA league that is widely recognized internationally.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Finally the Blue Jays are playing baseball and not trying to hit every thing out of the park. Pitching , defence and timely hitting has always been and will always be winning baseball.

I said on this forum 3 years ago the Jays need to dump their big boppers and move towards a team that pitches, defends, keeps the base runners moving and hits to the oppo filed more.

This is fun baseball folks.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Finally the Blue Jays are playing baseball and not trying to hit every thing out of the park. Pitching , defence and timely hitting has always been and will always be winning baseball.

I said on this forum 3 years ago the Jays need to dump their big boppers and move towards a team that pitches, defends, keeps the base runners moving and hits to the oppo filed more.

This is fun baseball folks.

In what world is having a bottom 10 offence exciting? Are we disregarding the fact that Drury hit a 3 run home run to tie the game? Do we not consider Vlad a "big bopper"?

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site

Quite a few of the Fisher Cats bats got off to a slow start. Just looking at Wall's numbers, since the 11th he has a wRC+ of 190, walking more than striking out.

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
In what world is having a bottom 10 offence exciting? Are we disregarding the fact that Drury hit a 3 run home run to tie the game? Do we not consider Vlad a "big bopper"?
I like a blend of guys who can hit home runs but also a team that can play small ball, hit and run, steal a base, go 1st to 3rd 9n a single and maybe a squeeze and here.

I always like to put pressure on the other team making them make plays to beat you on the D side

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
pretty unreal Kimbrel and Keuchel are still with out a job, not even a rumor of interest from any parties. what is it. they are asking way to much or wont negotiate . just seems like a horrible scenario after all the barking the p/a has done.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016

Curry is a pretty household name, pretty much everyone I know, knows who he is even if they don't watch basketball. Mind you I'm talking 90% people under 40. Ditto for Durant. Odell Beckham Jr is pretty well known as well among non NFL fans. I'm not even really a football fan and he's probably the first guy I think of after Brady regarding the NFL. Depends on the demographic of people you know.

If you're surrounded by a bunch of 40+ people then sure, Durant, Wade and OBJ might not be household names, to the younger demographic with social media they are definitely more well known.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
pretty unreal Kimbrel and Keuchel are still with out a job, not even a rumor of interest from any parties. what is it. they are asking way to much or wont negotiate . just seems like a horrible scenario after all the barking the p/a has done.

Baseball is a weird situation. When Donald Fehr references it as the only major NA sport without a salary cap yet somehow it manages to be ahead of all the other sports in policing itself in FA contracts, he has a point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->