Pre-Game Talk: The 2021-2022 Tampa Bay Lightning Training Camp

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
More like one of them. As usual you have nothing positive to say about Tampa. They played a bad game, omg the sky is falling. ABB, Raddysh, Katchouk, Ryfors and Fortier have all shown some promise. Tampa will likely need one of them to be a 3rd or 4th line contributor, and another as a 13th F. They won't be needed for great scoring, as Tampa has plenty of that already. The only loss that hurts offensively is really Gourde, but scoring goals won't be Tampa's problem. These players will be a larger and larger part of Tampa's future as the team likely loses one of Palat or Killorn after this year as well. There will be growing pains, but it's still the best path to keeping the team strong rather than keeping guys too long and for far too much money.
You continually refer to my negative evaluation. You never take into consideration the performance of these young guys you continually tout. And if you think this team goes all year without Stammer, Kuch, Point, Killer and Palat not missing any games your disingenuous. Currently yes two of the kids will be needed to just to fill the roster but rest assured the core guys will miss chunks of time it happens every year. Not to mention we have a 3C thats going to be the 2C yet again. I do not doubt that the kids are going to be needed to replace cap on the roster that is a continuing fact year after year when your at the Cap with huge contracts on the team. I also agree there was no way to give raises to last years 3rd line and remain below the cap. You and a few others ran Johnson under the bus backed over him kicked him while he was down yet he is the 1C now for the Hawks and will have more goals and assists than Cirelli.

Heres the bottom line you might think goals will not be the problem. Yet our core will need career years to hold pat on the number of goals scored per game last season. While the defense is more watered down, if one is honest with themselves these are concerns. Oh and we added perry who in 14 seasosn has had 1219 PIM's Thats an average of 87 pims per year now hes playing limited minutes but he will still be good for 50 PIM or the reason we are short handed 25 times this year. Yanni's line is gone that ate half of the PK yes we still have Vasi but he is one groin pull from on a back-up that needs work far more than he will get. The team has went from overwhelming cup favorite to a cup contender, meaning a top 10 team in the league. These are meaningful concerns we all should have not just me being negative Nancy. And if you are correct that Palat and Killer are gone next season who will replace them and there production? Joseph? ABB? or any of the rest are not close.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
You continually refer to my negative evaluation. You never take into consideration the performance of these young guys you continually tout. And if you think this team goes all year without Stammer, Kuch, Point, Killer and Palat not missing any games your disingenuous. Currently yes two of the kids will be needed to just to fill the roster but rest assured the core guys will miss chunks of time it happens every year. Not to mention we have a 3C thats going to be the 2C yet again. I do not doubt that the kids are going to be needed to replace cap on the roster that is a continuing fact year after year when your at the Cap with huge contracts on the team. I also agree there was no way to give raises to last years 3rd line and remain below the cap. You and a few others ran Johnson under the bus backed over him kicked him while he was down yet he is the 1C now for the Hawks and will have more goals and assists than Cirelli.

Heres the bottom line you might think goals will not be the problem. Yet our core will need career years to hold pat on the number of goals scored per game last season. While the defense is more watered down, if one is honest with themselves these are concerns. Oh and we added perry who in 14 seasosn has had 1219 PIM's Thats an average of 87 pims per year now hes playing limited minutes but he will still be good for 50 PIM or the reason we are short handed 25 times this year. Yanni's line is gone that ate half of the PK yes we still have Vasi but he is one groin pull from on a back-up that needs work far more than he will get. The team has went from overwhelming cup favorite to a cup contender, meaning a top 10 team in the league. These are meaningful concerns we all should have not just me being negative Nancy. And if you are correct that Palat and Killer are gone next season who will replace them and there production? Joseph? ABB? or any of the rest are not close.
I see you have your crystal ball out again, as you just magically know Johnson will out produce Cirelli, the core will have to have career years, and the team's stars are guaranteed to miss large chunks of time. Also, it's pretty funny you telling anyone about throwing a player under the bus when you've had Cirelli tied up under one for years now. Johnson *may* end up as the 1C in Chicago and good for him if he does. The point remains that he was no longer a part of the top 6 here, and at a 5 million aav for 3 more years, it wasn't feasible to keep him. I wish Brisebois could have found a way to trade him to Seattle to keep Gourde, but the price was far too high and the trade he made was very good given Johnson's value at the time.

The defense is more "watered down"?? A top 3 defense in the league that lost tdl acquisition Savard(who had his fair share of warts,especially against any faster offensive teams) and added a solid depth piece in Bogosian is now watered down, ok....As long as there aren't multiple significant injuries, the defense is still excellent, and if JBB feels the right side needs a boost again, there will be plenty of names available at the tdl again.

The Lightninv are still easily a top 5 favorite, and no, the top offensive guys won't need career years to keep the offensive production high. The team has also learned how to win lower scoring, more defensive games rather than 6-4 type affairs. They may not 3 pear, and it's more likely than not they won't as it's never been done in the cap era and even some powerhouse teams of the last 30 or so years couldn't do it before that(Pens in '93, Wings in '99). The team likely will coast through parts of the regular season, but they have also shown that they don't really care about division ti th less or President's trophies anymore. The only hardware that matters is the Cup, and so the team will ljkely conserve some gas for the run, and if that means a 2nd or 3rd place finish in the division, so be it.

The biggest concern is the defensive loss of the 3rd line and their special teams ability, and the fire that they brought. It may take a little time and some line blending to find the right mix again, but luckily when trying to find tg be right combo of a bottom 6 line/best PK unit is your biggest concern, your team is probably in pretty good shape.

I also said one of Palat or Killorn is likely gone. not both. And while losing one of them will also suck, Tampa has the depth in Syracuse to fill in the holes as time goes on. Hopefully one or two of these guys that have waited their turn for several years will be the next Verhaeghe or before him, Marchessault, but hopefully this time it will be successful for Tampa rather than losing them for peanuts or nothing and watching them flourish elsewhere.

The team will be fine for at least a few more years, and hopefully will win another Cup or two with this core. In any case, while there are some concerns, they are not large ones(at least not at this point). I'll continue to trust in the front office to also do what is needed if more serious issues do arise. Tampa evaluates and drafts pretty well, so I have confidence they will find the right guys to help contribute to the team moving forward.

Reactions: twenty5psi

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Are these guys going to end up on waivers?

T Raddysh
B Katchouk

Very likely you see one of them traded or waived this season, unless someone goes down to injury or we get rid of someone else.

I guess they'd be good targets to reunite with Frost? How is he doing these days?

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Looks like he'll start the season on the Flyers because of Hayes being injured.

Frost missed almost all of last season with a shoulder problem.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Are preseason tickets $190+ also at Amelie arena? I'm surprised at how sold out the game is tonight at Amway Center is.. unless there is social distancing and they only sell seats spread out.

Bob and 200 others

Apr 30, 2012
Are preseason tickets $190+ also at Amelie arena? I'm surprised at how sold out the game is tonight at Amway Center is.. unless there is social distancing and they only sell seats spread out.
I'd guess it's because this is more of an "Event" even though it's only a preseason game. Two great teams one of which has won back to back cups, it's the only chance for people in Orlando to see some NHL Hockey live in their own city.

Peacefool

Nov 15, 2019
I have a question...are divisions the same like last year or are they nirmal like they were precovid times? I looked at NHL website and divisions are same as last year is it true?

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
I have a question...are divisions the same like last year or are they nirmal like they were precovid times? I looked at NHL website and divisions are same as last year is it true?
Divisions are back to how they were before 2021. There's a little bit of shuffling out west with Seattle entering the league, but the Atlantic and Metro divisions will be unchanged.

Reactions: Peacefool

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
Completely unsurprised by Volkov. I don't see any drive in him. Hope he likes San Diego more than he liked Syracuse

I honestly thought he would get his sh together after being let go here. I guess his heart was into being a cheerleader more than a scoring threat.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I honestly thought he would get his sh together after being let go here. I guess his heart was into being a cheerleader more than a scoring threat.

I think he wants to go home to Russia. The USA is about as big of a culture shock you will find anywhere on earth. It's not for everyone

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00