GDT: The 2020 NCAA Football Thread

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
IMO Clemson gotta be the favorites after tonight. Alabama's defense got exposed.

Florida has no defense and no running game and only lost to Bama by 6 and with better clock management might've won it. Clemson has a far better defense than Florida and actually be balanced on offense and run the ball. If Bama plays D like that in any potential Clemson matchup, I don't like their chances.

Reactions: DaveG

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Notre Dame got in because of the brand.

On that note, Texas A&M should have stuck it out in the Big 12, they would likely be dominating that conference right now and probably would have gotten in.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Notre Dame got in because of the brand.

On that note, Texas A&M should have stuck it out in the Big 12, they would likely be dominating that conference right now and probably would have gotten in.
Im not sure. Their recruiting improved and brand increased when they joined the SEC. they started pulling in line with OU and Texas in recruiting. They were well behind those two in recruiting tier while in the Big 12.

on a different note, Clemson and Bama were the clear 2 to be in. Cases could have been made for and against for A&M, OSU, Cincy, and ND. It is what it is but the 4 chosen don’t bring much excitement for me. To be honest the Amazon, Walmart, and Coke level richest team domination of the market in Bama, Clemson, and Ohio State is getting boring. Basically we rotate between a 2nd SEC team, ND, and a Big 12 team as who is the 4th. Not that those three don’t deserve their dominance of inclusion, its just boring. I haven’t watched many tournament games because of it.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
College football playoffs will always be boring until they at least go to 16 teams. There's literally no path forward for any team except the blue bloods in college football. Take Gonzaga in basketball... a similar scenario will never happen in a million years under the current format. The NCAA has turned the playoffs and to a lesser extent all of college football into basically a less competitive Premier League soccer league which will always keep down smaller teams. But that's probably by design at this point.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
It was a lose-lose really. Nobody wants to see Bama-ND or Bama-A&M.
Literally the only way they could (and should) have made it better is by having Cincy in the Domers spot, and that's the last thing the assholes from the power 5 that run the playoff committee want. This is just going to end up being another Clemson-Bama final and likely a coronation for Clemson if the Bama-Florida game was any indication.

College football playoffs will always be boring until they at least go to 16 teams. There's literally no path forward for any team except the blue bloods in college football. Take Gonzaga in basketball... a similar scenario will never happen in a million years under the current format. The NCAA has turned the playoffs and to a lesser extent all of college football into basically a less competitive Premier League soccer league which will always keep down smaller teams. But that's probably by design at this point.

Pretty much. And even then I don't really trust them to do it right. It should be the 10 conference champs and then the next 6 best teams regardless of conference. If they keep the selection committee the way it is currently I fully expect it to be maybe 1-2 G5 teams and the other 14-15 from the P5.

Reactions: skipnjump

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
Well, it was fun to get to a major bowl for a whole day... now, not so much. Thanks for the fun times and exciting moments Dyami, M Carter, Chazz et al. Hope you get fat checks.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Well, it was fun to get to a major bowl for a whole day... now, not so much. Thanks for the fun times and exciting moments Dyami, M Carter, Chazz et al. Hope you get fat checks.
I don't begrudge players for doing what's best for their futures and their big pay days. But it's just another way college football isn't as good these days.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Harsin is apparently Auburn's guy. Ehh, okay then. I don't see that hire striking fear in anyone in the SEC.

Better than Steele, but it's such an odd fit.
Honestly surprised they got him even. Guy's a Boise alum and former QB. Again, better to be a winner at a smaller program than to likely be out on your ass after a few seasons. And to make it worse it's not exactly like he's been having Rich Rod at WVU levels of success there either.

Reactions: Canes

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
If they get Harsin that's a pretty decent hire. Definitely unexpected. Obviously it will all depend on his hires and recruiting once he gets there, which is a big question mark considering his background. But I'd certainly take him over Steele, Bill Clark, and some other rumored candidates. But yeah, strange hire for Auburn.
Knoxville is all yours Freeze
I think they're about to get hit with some recruiting sanctions so I doubt it. In fact I would not be surprised if the NCAA went poking around just because of the rumors.

Reactions: DaveG

Neighbor Lee

Sponsor
Oct 25, 2013
Droneview
Wow. USCe seeing their entire DB corps jumping ship. Curious timing after a players meeting and announcement that they won't play in their bowl game.

Beamer jr has a job to do--not only finding some coaches (probably not getting Heacock (?spelling? or Bateman) but also re-recruiting the players that are already there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad