GDT: The 2020 NCAA Football Thread

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
Tony Elliott’s agent should demand his client get a mega raise. My god are Dabo and co. getting totally outcoached.

Three running plays down 21 late in the 3rd with a generational prospect at QB? They’re shook right now.

Reactions: DaveG

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
That was a week call on the block, but I’ll take it and hopefully Clemson can capitalize

edit. I guess not

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
While I don’t follow college football closely, based on the little I know from what I do watch, and listening to sports radio, I was surprised OSU was able to “out speed” Clemson. I figured OSO would try to play some smash mouth football, and they did with Sermon and their offensive and defensive fronts, but the number of times they flat out beat Clemson deep, or outran Clemson was surprising to me, as well as how well their defense adjusted to plays at the edge.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
While I don’t follow college football closely, based on the little I know from what I do watch, and listening to sports radio, I was surprised OSU was able to “out speed” Clemson. I figured OSO would try to play some smash mouth football, and they did with Sermon and their offensive and defensive fronts, but the number of times they flat out beat Clemson deep, or outran Clemson was surprising to me, as well as how well their defense adjusted to plays at the edge.
I know it was so controversial that Dabo ranked them low for games played, but you do wonder if one team grinding through more football games was a disadvantage. Perhaps OSU boat races them no matter what. Just interesting to think about.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
NC State just clowning themselves against a <.500 team is so prototypical :help:

EDIT: Easily some of the worst "football" I've ever seen, absolutely embarrassing display

Last edited:
Reactions: MinJaBen and Tryamw

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
At least my parents will be happy as Kentucky fans even though they're like most Kentucky fans who forget college football exists unless Kentucky is being hyped.

Sucks for NC State though, Doeren will forever be an 8-4 guy it looks like.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
One thing I forgot to mention last night. A few times on the sideline when they showed Lawrence, he flipped his head back which threw his hair back. Gave me big Eddie Martel vibes.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Hermann out at Texas doesn’t make much sense. Especially to replace him with a failed USC coach

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Some guy on the radio (think it was Gene Chizik) said there was talk that Texas has had top 10 recruiting seasons for few years now, but not getting top 10 results on the field, thus they think the coaching is a problem.

Oddly enough, recruiting is probably more than 1/2 the job of coaching in college football, so not sure what to make of his comments.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Michigan knew that realistically they weren't going to hire an upgrade, not surprised. Dabo got beat up on by his conference and main rival a lot in his first 5-6 years and it has worked out OK for Clemson for sticking with him. Michigan has seen what coaching carousels can do to any blue blood.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
One thing that doesn't get brought up a lot about why Michigan and Notre Dame have fallen in the past decades: They are two of the handful of schools who haven't significantly lowered their academic standards, which puts them at a significant disadvantage. And the standards thing isn't just true of football: Bode Wilde had a scholarship offer from Michigan but went to juniors because his grades weren't good enough to be accepted. This video of a Michigan grad exemplifies the high level of intelligence that it takes to be admitted into that school:

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Now who can argue with that? I think we're all indebted to Big Papa Pump for clearly stating what needed to be said. I'm particularly glad that these lovely posters got to hear that speech. Not only was it authentic Michigan gibberish, it expressed a courage little seen in this day and age.
The best part about it is that someone actually went through the whole thing piece by piece and all the math actually checks out.

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
So anyway has the ACC won a bowl game?

Wake NC State UNC ND Clemson Miami I know all lost.
Edit: I think they went 0-6... Great job ACC...

Last edited:

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
I can't complain..it was an entertaining Orange Bowl ..performed much better than expected given the early departures. Hope we have a defense in the fall.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
@DaveG

Why is Marshall not retaining Doc Holliday? Odd choice it seems.
Haven't heard anything but I wouldn't be shocked if the NCAA went looking around and found something. Or they're aware of something that the NCAA could find and know it would not be a pleasant experience.

It's not like they're going to do any better with their next hire.

Last edited:
Reactions: HisIceness

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Yeah I just don't get this unless there's something really bad behind the scenes. Marshall isn't P5 and they are not competing for a national championship now or anytime soon, seems like the smart thing to is keep the guy you have who has an 88-54 record, but whatever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad