Prospect Info: The 2020 Entry NHL Draft Thread

Besides some of the Top Players, who are you looking forward to the most?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Very strong skater with high IQ and compete. Being about 5'8" and maybe 165-170lbs he can get pushed around a bit, but he will out work many players to win a lot of 1v1 battles. Knows the soft spots of the offensive zone and where to go to pick up points, combine that with a plus release and he gets a good number of goals and the type that should translate. Could stand to be more aggressive with his passing in the offensive zone. He's not a high end seam passer and has been burned a few times in that regard, so I think there is some coaching going on to keep those chances to a minimum. Reminds me a lot of Cam Atkinson at the same age.
Thanks Henchy!

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
Are the concerns surrounding Perreault's skating legitimate? From the little bit I've seen from him I've actually been impressed by his quickness.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I'm officially coming around on Brett Berard... he's a sneaky last 1st/early 2nd guy that could be an impact player down the road.
Ty Tullio is becoming that player for me, not very big or super amazing at anything, but plays like a waterbug out there and has a legitimate source of talent. Reminds me of a more mobile version, though less front-net presence of Gallagher.

Are the concerns surrounding Perreault's skating legitimate? From the little bit I've seen from him I've actually been impressed by his quickness.
They're overblown for me too, I mean he won't ever be as good as Jack Quinn is - who is become a big favourite of mine. However, I wouldn't consider him bad by any means, he's actually quite decent as far as I am concerned...

Reactions: The Merchant

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
So...I've never actually watched Ty Smilanic play before, but I kind of want the Avs to draft him just so we can have a local on the team.

Edit: And yes, I know it’s a stupid reason to draft a player, and I know Moser and McNab wouldn’t shut up about it, but I want some proof that Colorado youth hockey isn’t terrible, damnit.

Last edited:

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Boy, I always look at draft-eligible kids and I'm always shocked at how young they look.

Then I look at Lafreniere...
11-lafreniere,-alexis-(9).jpg

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
I’ve been seeing Braden Schneider’s name a bit more lately as a guy who’ll be picked in the teens. I really hope he makes it to wherever the Avs pick because he could very well be the final piece to the puzzle that is the Avs’ future on defense.

I wouldn’t condone moving Timmins in a package for a scoring forward, but I would be more open to the idea of it happening if we had Schneider waiting in the wings, too.

Reactions: Brett44

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
7 point night for Lafreniere. Currently at 99 pts in 44 games.

For reference, Mack had 80 points in 57 games in the same league in his draft year.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
7 point night for Lafreniere. Currently at 99 pts in 44 games.

For reference, Mack had 80 points in 57 games in the same league in his draft year.
Not sure that's a fair comparison as Lafreniere is a late birthday and got to play one extra season where he's played 165 games in the Q, while MacKinnon topped off at 102 games. Lafreniere is a very impressive prospect, but you're overvaluing his production. The lad was a freakin' PPG player as a 16 year old, he is very comfortable with playing in the Q and his current point total justifies that.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I would not be surprised if Avs have Ty Tullio in their final top 10-15 scouting list. He screams like an Avs scouts type of player and even though I would say I am not the biggest fan of him - as I suggest there is a limit of talent in his game -, I do see a lot of bright spots in his game. He is an unbelievable skater, he is a waterbug, his engine never stops, and he loves the dirty areas. Picture Brendan Gallagher's type of tenacious game with Ehlers skating ability.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I would not be surprised if Avs have Ty Tullio in their final top 10-15 scouting list. He screams like an Avs scouts type of player and even though I would say I am not the biggest fan of him - as I suggest there is a limit of talent in his game -, I do see a lot of bright spots in his game. He is an unbelievable skater, he is a waterbug, his engine never stops, and he loves the dirty areas. Picture Brendan Gallagher's type of tenacious game with Ehlers skating ability.
If we end up picking in the late 20s, you could do a lot worse. It would be nice to take a big swing on talent but there's a lot to be said for that kind of pick for a team in our position.

That said, I'm afraid I have watched next to no draft eligible players this year. Just no time, so I have no idea who else might be available in that range who could have a higher ceiling. I know this first round is supposed to be very deep but unlike in years past I haven't been able to follow the draft hardly at all.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
If we end up picking in the late 20s, you could do a lot worse. It would be nice to take a big swing on talent but there's a lot to be said for that kind of pick for a team in our position.

That said, I'm afraid I have watched next to no draft eligible players this year. Just no time, so I have no idea who else might be available in that range who could have a higher ceiling. I know this first round is supposed to be very deep but unlike in years past I haven't been able to follow the draft hardly at all.
The tricky part is where he would go, I think Avs will have better players to choose from in the 20s which results in Tullio being either a 2nd or 3rd rounder. FC has him ranked 61st which is on the cusp of the 2nd and 3rd round, while McKenzie didn't even have as a top 62 player so I think what we do is wait and see if he's there in the 3rd round. He probably gets snagged in the late 2nd though, so I can also see Avs going after their guy in the 1st round or if they decide to trade back.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I haven’t really focused much on the draft this year. Is there some decent forward options near the end of the first round?

I think the Avs are pretty set on D, but it wouldn’t hurt to add another solid forward to the prospect pool.

Last edited:

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
It'd be nice to have another Av with a hyphenated first name beginning with "John" again.

I was also considering a flier on Justin Barron. Kind of like Mutala, higher ceiling guy that had a tough year plus he's from Halifax and on the Herd.

Thinking about Ryan O'Rourke too. Had some luck with Soo defenders around here.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I'm hoping we start drafting a bunch of big centre's with raw talent that takes time to develop. We are pretty set except at 3C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad