Prospect Info: The 2020 Entry NHL Draft Thread

Besides some of the Top Players, who are you looking forward to the most?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
A player I'm having a really hard time evaluating this year... Antonio Stranges. On one hand I see a creative player with a boat load of skill and the ego to think he can do anything. On the other hand I see a terrible defensive player who is small and has a skating style that doesn't seem NHL friendly (he's all mohawk all the time).

AegonLeConqueror

Jan 4, 2018
A player I'm having a really hard time evaluating this year... Antonio Stranges. On one hand I see a creative player with a boat load of skill and the ego to think he can do anything. On the other hand I see a terrible defensive player who is small and has a skating style that doesn't seem NHL friendly (he's all mohawk all the time).
I’ve only heard about him once or twice but isn’t skating one of his best traits? I saw a couple of clips and you aren’t exaggerating when you say he Mohawks all the time, but apart from that isn’t he a superb skater?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I’ve only heard about him once or twice but isn’t skating one of his best traits? I saw a couple of clips and you aren’t exaggerating when you say he Mohawks all the time, but apart from that isn’t he a superb skater?

He's a flashy skater and it will stand out positive because of the things he can pull off. I'm not real sure he's going to be elite in the NHL there. His top speed is rather average and while mohawks are great at carrying speed and opening a player up for rush plays... they don't really help along the boards or when there is physical play involved. Outside of that skill, I think his edges are just okay and he's not real strong on his skates. In other words, when he gets to the NHL with less space and gets leaned on more, his skating could take a real hit. It will still show up from time to time, but I'm not sure if it is versatile and good enough in all areas for that to be something for his game to lean on.

Wherever I land and how it turns out, this will be an evaluation I come back to for years.

Reactions: AegonLeConqueror

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019

I was actually going to bring this guy up at some point as well. I have one live viewing of this player, so not a ton of viewings, but he stood out to me in the exact same ways. He has an NHL skill level, but reminded me in a lot of ways of Jeremy Bracco.

I would consider taking a flyer on him if he's there in the second, definitely would in the third (depending how the rest of his year goes).

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
Weirdly enough, I watched some Erie Otters on tape delay the other night and he's already looking like a riser for my Spring list. In the past, these defenders would be iffy, but Girard has paved the way from the Rafalskis' and Zidlickys' before him. Drysdale is a Girard clone, just an uber smart defender with good mobility and a very consistent style of hockey. Top 5 or 10 is pushing it for me though, I don't see him having top end offensive potential, but he's good enough that I think 10th to 16th or so is fair. He's going to go too high no doubt, but whoever drafts him is probably a team who absolutely fell in love with his game over the course of the season, he's quite impressive.

For me, Drysdale is much more dynamic than Girard is and has higher offensive upside.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Not disagreeing that the lad has some holes, but I think you're harsh on his skating. After Jost and other players being known as amazing skaters in juniors just to be beyond average in the NHL, I am going to be more on the cautious side when evaluating prospects. However, what I've seen from Stranges is a lot like Newhook where he's a good skater, but I do think there is some aesthetics in there as well. I am more in the side that both of them (Antonio and Alex) are both solid skaters and won't bust out because of skating ability, it would be more due to overvalued hype in the talent department.

Another aspect I wanted to touch on was his defensive game, no arguments from me that at the current point in time he has a lot of work to do away from the puck. The thing though is that if we draft him, it would be for his offensive abilities and there are many players that resembled similar issues at his age such as Voracek. Just so I don't look like a hypocrite, another one that had the same weaknesses is Ryan Suzuki and I am not a fan of him. Nonetheless, I suggest that Stranges is a superior player especially in the offensive skills department - step above IQ, step above physicality, step above stick-handling, and step above 1v1 ability on Suzuki IMO. I make the argument that Stranges would be a risk worth taking for me, especially if Avs finish between 22nd to 31st. The biggest problem for me from Stranges is his consistency as he easily has top 15 talent, where some desires aren't exactly there all the time. Some big hot streaks and some big cold streaks, but another player who I'd argue had comparable issues was Akil Thomas and now he's looking like a great selection.

Last edited:

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
giphy.gif

I don't remember ever doing a mohawk when I played. :laugh:

Cale has that half-turn fake when he's skating that make you think he's about to try that and fire a pass, then he just takes off.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Not disagreeing that the lad has some holes, but I think you're harsh on his skating. After Jost and other players being known as amazing skaters in juniors just to be beyond average in the NHL, I am going to be more on the cautious side when evaluating prospects. However, what I've seen from Stranges is a lot like Newhook where he's a good skater, but I do think there is some aesthetics in there as well. I am more in the side that both of them (Antonio and Alex) are both solid skaters and won't bust out because of skating ability, it would be more due to overvalued hype in the talent department.

Another aspect I wanted to touch on was his defensive game, no arguments from me that at the current point in time he has a lot of work to do away from the puck. The thing though is that if we draft him, it would be for his offensive abilities and there are many players that resembled similar issues at his age such as Voracek. Just so I don't look like a hypocrite, another one that had the same weaknesses is Ryan Suzuki and I am not a fan of him. Nonetheless, I suggest that Stranges is a superior player especially in the offensive skills department - step above IQ, step above physicality, step above stick-handling, and step above 1v1 ability on Suzuki IMO. I make the argument that Stranges would be a risk worth taking for me, especially if Avs finish between 22nd to 31st. The biggest problem for me from Stranges is his consistency as he easily has top 15 talent, where some desires aren't exactly there all the time. Some big hot streaks and some big cold streaks, but another player who I'd argue had comparable issues was Akil Thomas and now he's looking like a great selection.

I could be being a bit harsh, no doubt about it. I see a kid that carries a good amount of speed, but he's not super adept at creating speed if that makes sense. And he's a bit weak on his skates. It screams to me somebody who is really flashy, but will crash back to earth when he gets laid out constantly. I fully admit I'm curious and hope I'm wrong. His style of skating is unique and leads to a lot of carrying speed, which may prove deadly. I'd just like to see more versatility there.

I'm less worried about his defense... he's going to be selected based upon his offensive game, and he's going to be a wing. He just need to be good enough in that area, and it can be learned, especially if his offensive game translates.

At this point I could probably be convinced to throw him in as either a first or second round grade. I don't know where I really fall.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

How strange(s).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->