Prospect Info: The 2020 Entry NHL Draft Thread

Besides some of the Top Players, who are you looking forward to the most?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
pjimage-14.jpg

2020 NHL Draft will take place at Centre Bell in Montreal, Quebec
Postponed, 2020

NHL Draft Lottery
Tankathon | 2020 NHL Draft Order & Lottery Simulator

Mock Drafts
2020 NHL Mock Draft | 2020 NHL Draft | NHL Draft
2020 NHL Mock Draft - NHL - DraftSite.com

Bob McKenzie's Rankings
Preliminary: Lafreniere leads loaded class in TSN Hockey's pre-season draft ranking
Mid-Season: Alexis Lafreniere enhances No. 1 status in TSN's mid-season NHL draft ranking - TSN.ca

Craig Button's Rankings
September: Craig Button’s List: Canadian forwards dominate top of first NHL draft rankings - TSN.ca
November: Craig's List: Alexis Lafreniere is No. 1, but watch for Quinton Byfield and Yaroslav Askarov - TSN.ca
January: Craig’s List: Tim Stutzle, Marco Rossi climb NHL draft rankings - TSN.ca
March: Craig's List: Alexis Lafreniere solidifies status as hockey's top prospect - TSN.ca

Players

Database: Elite Prospects - NHL Draft Center
CSS - Preliminary: https://nhl.bamcontent.com/images/assets/binary/309837384/binary-file/file.pdf
CSS - Midterm: 2020 Draft Prospect Rankings | NHL Draft Prospect Rankings
CSS - Final: 2020 Draft Prospect Rankings | NHL Draft Prospect Rankings

Colorado Avalanche Draft Picks
2020 NHL Entry Draft - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
1st Round: Kept
2nd Round: Gone [to WSH]
3rd Round: Acquired [from TOR]
3rd Round: Gone [to FLA]
4th Round: Kept
5th Round: Kept
6th Round: Acquired [From FLA]
6th Round: Gone [to TOR]
7th Round: Kept

Last edited:
Reactions: arun and Avs_19

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Hopefully this is the first year in a very long time where we dont have anything to do with the Top 20 picks of the draft and can look at the bottom of the first round for our probable pick.

Ideally in that 28-31 range would be nice.

Reactions: ljb4

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Been WAITING FOREVER for this! :sarcasm:

Monster OHL year incoming.
Yeah figured I should make it since Hlinka is starting or already started, don't know which one it is.

This is a great year for Europe, especially Sweden who could have four prospects drafted in the top 15. Also a very strong year for LHJMQ in particular, not sure they have a lot of high-end skill like the OHL, but should have the most players coming out of it for the first round. Very bad year for the USTNDP and USHL in general. Also looking forward to what the skilled German prospects can show for us!

Deep for forwards and centres, not a good year for defenders, and not sure about goaltending besides Askarov.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Am I crazy for thinking Byfield has a chance to go 1OA over Lafrenier? That size, skating, and talent combo is just so rare, and combined with the C > W factor and depending on how their respective seasons go I could see Byfield going first.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Been hearing about these Swedes for a bit now.

BTW, is Lucas Raymond pronounced like you'd expect? Doesn't seem very Swedish.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland

Can't wait for Lucas Raymond and Brad Lambert to battle it out in those classic Olympic gold medal games: ahhh... Sweden-Finland.

Oh, and f*** you for 2006. :sarcasm:

Reactions: arun

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Holloway.

AVs have been loading up on DMen and likely drafting a Forward. Avoiding the smaller players, I really like Holloway. Sakic doesn't seem too concerned about the lesser leagues - AJHL, which could drop their draft position likely in the late teens or early 20s where the AVs are expected to draft. AVs type of player, fast, good skater and high IQ.

I also like Askarov - G for the future. Comparable or better than Knight.

Reactions: avsfan09

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Yeah figured I should make it since Hlinka is starting or already started, don't know which one it is.

This is a great year for Europe, especially Sweden who could have four prospects drafted in the top 15. Also a very strong year for LHJMQ in particular, not sure they have a lot of high-end skill like the OHL, but should have the most players coming out of it for the first round. Very bad year for the USTNDP and USHL in general. Also looking forward to what the skilled German prospects can show for us!

Deep for forwards and centres, not a good year for defenders, and not sure about goaltending besides Askarov.

Agree... some bright spots (Sanderson and Gushchin come to mind), but overall pretty weak.

Excited to see how high Stutzle climbs too... there are some big, big fans of that kid.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Really hoping Anton Lundell doesn't end up on some shit ass Wild team and I can't root for him.

Gotta try and keep an eye on Roby Järventie. Lots of Finns in reach of the first couple of rounds in 2020.

Last edited:

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
Hopefully this is the first year in a very long time where we dont have anything to do with the Top 20 picks of the draft and can look at the bottom of the first round for our probable pick.

Ideally in that 28-31 range would be nice.

Another Bleackley incoming!

Reactions: Foxtail

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Am I crazy for thinking Byfield has a chance to go 1OA over Lafrenier? That size, skating, and talent combo is just so rare, and combined with the C > W factor and depending on how their respective seasons go I could see Byfield going first.
Definitely could. Look at high Dach went and I think Byfield has even more potential. His skating and size will be extremely enticing.

As for the poll I've liked what I've seen of Holloway but I don't have a lot of knowledge outside of Lafreniere, Byfield and Lundell.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Holloway.

AVs have been loading up on DMen and likely drafting a Forward. Avoiding the smaller players, I really like Holloway. Sakic doesn't seem too concerned about the lesser leagues - AJHL, which could drop their draft position likely in the late teens or early 20s where the AVs are expected to draft. AVs type of player, fast, good skater and high IQ.

I also like Askarov - G for the future. Comparable or better than Knight.
I like Holloway too. A Canadian NCAA player is Avs catnip so he’s probably on their list already.

Hendrix Lapierre seems to be the one to enter the year with some hype momentum. Button has him third on his list already.

Byfield is going to have to pick it up at the Hlinka to get 1OA hype but it’s early still. I fully expect Lafreniere to get challenged but it might not be Byfield.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Byfield is one of those players who's growing into his body. He's a productive player no doubt, but at times he looks very awkward out there. However, he's as dynamic and talented with his body size that he reminds me so much of Eric Lindros, would be the closest clone since him. The other problem though and why he might drop is because he is not a very high IQ player, he has shown to have some Nichushkin blinder problems at times. This might be because he's an underager, but he still had a very productive season to be warranted as a top 5 prospect.

Rossi is another player I am a bit eerie on, not because he sucks since he was talented enough to be on the 1st line as an underrager, that speaks volumes. But my problem with him is that he's not a very good skater and his linemates were two 20 year old overagers that would be posting up 90+ points regardless of who their centre was.

Though it is still extremely early, from everything I've seen thus far I think the biggest challenge to Lafreniere is Raymond. He's unbelievable prospect who has pretty much everything that Byfield has besides body size, but Lucas is a million times the smarter player. Super dynamic and out of anyone, he's actually playing up to Alexis level where I think Lafreniere has plateaued a bit. Whatever the case is, I very much like the top 10 to 15 for this draft, but I do think the 1st overall for this draft will be the weakest since 2017.

Agree... some bright spots (Sanderson and Gushchin come to mind), but overall pretty weak.

Excited to see how high Stutzle climbs too... there are some big, big fans of that kid.
Not sure why Stutzle is so high, especially when I consider Peterka the better player. Not to stat whack, but JJP pretty much destroyed an U19 league where Dobson posted extremely average stats around the same age and he went 11th overall. Probably not fair to compare a defender with forward though, but I consider Stutzle more of a 2nd rounder currently.

Raymond's father is from France and why he doesn't have a traditional Swedish surname.

Here's my 2020 list I posted back before the 2019 draft.

1. Alexis Lafreniere, LW (CAN) Rimouski Oceanic, LHJMQ
2. Lucas Raymond, RW (SWE) Frolunda HC, SuperElit
3. Quinton Byfield, C (CAN) Sudbury Wolves, OHL
4. Anton Lundell, C/LW (FIN) HIFK, Liiga
5. Cole Perfetti, C (CAN) Saginaw Spirit, OHL
6. Jan Mysak, LW (CZE) HC Litvinov, Czech
7. Noel Gunler, RW (SWE) Lulea HF, SuperElit
8. Yaroslav Askarov, G (RUS) SKA Varyagi Vsevolozhski, MHL
9. Connor Zary, C (CAN) Kamloops Blazers, WHL
10. Antonio Stranges, C/LW (USA) London Knights, OHL
11. Theo Rochette, C (SUI) Chicoutimi Sagueneens, LHJMQ
12. Alexander Holtz, RW (SWE) Djurgardens IF, SuperElit
13. Justin Barron, D (CAN) Halifax Mooseheads, LHJMQ
14. Marco Rossi, C (AUT) Ottawa 67’s, OHL
15. Jean-Luc Foudy, C (CAN) Windsor Spitfires, OHL
16. Marat Khusnutdinov, C (RUS) Vityaz Podolsk, MHL U17
17. Dylan Holloway, LW (CAN) Okotoks Oilers, AJHL
18. Zion Nybeck, RW (SWE) HV71, SuperElit
19. Rodion Amirov, LW (RUS) Tolpar Ufa, MHL
20. Ty Smilanic, C (USA) USNTDP, USHL
21. John-Jason Peterka, C (GER) EHC Munchen, DEL
22. Hendrix Lapierre, C (CAN) Chicoutimi Sagueneens, LHJMQ
23. Kasper Simontaival, LW (FIN) Tappara U20, SM-Liiga
24. Jake Neighbours, LW (CAN) Edmonton Oil Kings, WHL
25. Dylan Peterson, C (USA) USNTDP, USHL
26. Mavrik Bourque, C (CAN) Shawinigan Cataracters, LHJMQ
27. Dawson Mercer, RW (CAN) Drummondville Voltigeurs, LHJMQ
28. Seth Jarvis, RW (CAN) Portland Winterhawks, WHL
29. Kaiden Guhle, D (CAN) Prince Albert Raiders, WHL
30. Jake Sanderson, D (USA) USNTDP, USHL
31. Jamie Drysdale, D (CAN) Erie Otters, OHL

I don't think I would make that many changes, probably rise Sanderson, Jarvis, and Holloway (big fan of him). If there was someone I would put in the top 31 is Braden Schneider at eliteprospects.com . I was a bit hesitant on him since I dislike drafting defensive-defencemen high, but he's showing a lot more on the two-way spectrum. Likes the physical game and is showing more of a scoring touch. As of now I am not a huge fan of the defenders for this draft, besides Barron, I see a lot of athletic defenders that have questionable skill set. Guhle, Drysdale, Kleven, and to a degree Sanderson are very similar to Zadorov. The one that could be a big time riser is Mitchell Miller at eliteprospects.com , but we're going to have to see if he's able to do it.

My favourite prospect at the moment is Perfetti. I said in the past, but he is so similar to Marner it's pretty crazy when you watch him play. Super slick with very high playmaking IQ talent. The biggest wildcard is Nybeck, he is also very talent, but plays a small very junior-ish style. If he's able to expand he will find himself in the top 10.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ryan Pat80

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Not sure why Stutzle is so high, especially when I consider Peterka the better player. Not to stat whack, but JJP pretty much destroyed an U19 league where Dobson posted extremely average stats around the same age and he went 11th overall. Probably not fair to compare a defender with forward though, but I consider Stutzle more of a 2nd rounder currently.

In a number of ways I'd say it isn't a fair comparison at all. First, Dobson was a year younger. Second, Red Bull has moved leagues. They competed in the Austrian league and were in the Czech league last season. That is complete apples and oranges of a comparison. By all accounts JJP did play well. I've mostly seen both in international situations, and U20 DEL for Stutzle (only have one film on the Red Bull team). Every time I've seen them together, Stutzle has shown more. He's more dynamic, has a better shot, consistently more engaged. Comparing to his countryman, he's like a more engaged Bokk. Similar skill and upside. Stutzle looks to have a much better shot at the same age though. Now this isn't to say JJP isn't worth some hype, he just looks more like a 2-4th round at the moment while Stutzle is a first round guy. Hopefully both get time in the DEL. We know Stutzle is getting a top 9 role... JJP is going to have to climb a bit. Both will get their WJC chance and being in group B they will face the best competition too. Think there is a decent chance of 4 Germans being selected this year... which is pretty awesome for them.

Reactions: S E P H

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
My favourite prospect at the moment is Perfetti. I said in the past, but he is so similar to Marner it's pretty crazy when you watch him play. Super slick with very high playmaking IQ talent. The biggest wildcard is Nybeck, he is also very talent, but plays a small very junior-ish style. If he's able to expand he will find himself in the top 10.

Perfetti and Lundell are probably my two favorite projects in this draft. Perfetti is just an absolute joy to watch on ice. Lundell is just so complete and smart... want to see a bit more controlling of the play and dictating his game, but he's that typical Finnish center that they've become so good at producing. Holloway's year at Wisconsin is going to be fun to watch. He's not going to get top line ice, but he should get a decent shot to produce. Tullio is also a personal favorite of mine... kid is tiny, but tenacious and has some skill.

One player I can't get a handle on is Foudy.... I think he is already a better skater than his brother (and his brother would be a top 20 maybe top 10 NHL skater today). He might step into the NHL as a top 5 level skater. Just utterly insane wheels. But I always want so much more out of him. He doesn't shoot the puck, he doesn't dominate with it, he doesn't dictate... He is a monster at getting through the neutral zone with speed and possession then dumping the puck off for his linemates. If he can take that next step and start using his skating to dictate the offense, and develop his shot he could be a top 10, maybe top 5 pick. If he struggles to find that application in his game, he may slide into the 20s with worries that he may just be another Athanasiou.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Second, Red Bull has moved leagues. They competed in the Austrian league and were in the Czech league last season.
Not to get into a huge debate about this, but Czech is outright the better league. So Dobson was a year younger and a defender, but Peterka was in the tougher overall league.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Not to get into a huge debate about this, but Czech is outright the better league. So Dobson was a year younger and a defender, but Peterka was in the tougher overall league.
The Czech U19 league isn't very good either (almost all good prospects end up on senior teams or out of the country). They are also different leagues stylistically... Czech U19 is pure caution to the wind defense. Old school Q sort of situation where 6-5 games are not uncommon. EBYSL isn't great either, but the games are typically lower scoring. I'm just saying the situations are so vastly different you can't really compare. In reality, both leagues are very low quality and significantly below Junior A in NA is. The positive of Red Bull is the overall program and off ice is top notch stuff. I'm curious how JJP translates back into German pro hockey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->