Prospect Info: The 2020 Entry NHL Draft Thread: Part II

Which player are you considering the most at 27th overall currently?

• Rodion Amirov, LW [Salavat Yulaev Ufa, KHL]

• Brendan Brisson, C [Chicago Steel, USHL]

• Dylan Holloway, LW [University of Wisconsin, NCAA]

• Jan Mysak, LW [Hamilton Bulldogs, OHL]

• Jake Neighbours, LW [Edmonton Oil Kings, WHL]

• Jacob Perreault, C [Sarnia Sting, OHL]

• John-Jason Peterka, LW [EHC Munchen, DEL]

• Jeremie Poirier, D [Saint John Sea Dogs, LHJMQ]

• William Wallinder, D [Modo Hockey, Allsvenskan]

• Other [List Below]

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Detroit not getting 1st makes me happy. They have 4 cups and been succesful forever. Boo hoo. Also, f*** Ottawa. Bunch of cocky ass f***s after the Duchene trade. f*** em and f*** Eugene. Now all we need is for the Wild to not win and its all good.

Lafreniere going to Chicago, Winnipeg, Edmonton, Nashville, or Vancouver would also be quite bad for Colorado.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I aint scared.

upload_2020-6-26_22-33-55.gif

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
I'm fine with the bottom feeders having crap odds but I've always thought the lottery should be limited to the bottom 10 teams. None of this 'we missed the playoffs by 3 points now we have the third overall pick' nonsense.

But it is what it is and Detroit will have to learn to live with it like we did.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I'm fine with the bottom feeders having crap odds but I've always thought the lottery should be limited to the bottom 10 teams. None of this 'we missed the playoffs by 3 points now we have the third overall pick' nonsense.

But it is what it is and Detroit will have to learn to live with it like we did.
They will probably get Drysdale. Aint nothing to cry bout.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
I'm happy Ottawa ended up getting 2x top-5 picks. I was hoping they'd get the top-2 so we could see some real drama, but they're gonna pick the best players at 3 and 5, no doubt.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
No matter how you design a lottery system someone is going to have a (somewhat legitimate gripe). Either it rewards tanking too much or a decent team might get too good a player.

No use getting all too worked up about it. Avs lucky in 2013 and unlucky in 2017/2019 supposedly.

As for the first overall pick, obviously it'll go to a team that doesn't deserve it but it would suck to see it go to previous lottery luckboxes (Oilers, Winnipeg, Pittsburgh).

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
How much of a shit show is this going to end up being if there’s no playoffs at all? Imagine the #1 pick coming down to two separate lottery ball events, and the bottom-8 teams aren’t even in the running :popcorn:

Talk about a bad look for the NHL...

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Do I laugh at Detroit for getting f***ed in a way so embarrassing I didn't think it possible, or despair at the NHL finding new ways to be as tinpot as possible? Decisions, decisions.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
How much of a shit show is this going to end up being if there’s no playoffs at all? Imagine the #1 pick coming down to two separate lottery ball events, and the bottom-8 teams aren’t even in the running :popcorn:

Talk about a bad look for the NHL...

The NHL is going to fight through no matter what to finish this season. It would take a massive calamity for this to be called off now.

Reactions: McMetal

Thepoolmaster

Dec 3, 2011
How are they determining the TBD teams?

Is it by point percentage of the teams that don't make it into the play in?

That would make the most sense to me which would mean (if I'm doing this right) that the following teams cannot be Team E.

Montreal
Chicago
Arizona
Minnesota

There's no possible scenario in which those teams end up as Team E since they are the bottom 4 teams.

Also means that these teams can never be team E because they are the top 3 teams and there's no possible way they can fall in the team E slot.

Pittsburgh
Edmonton
Carolina

This leaves the following teams
NYI
Toronto
Columbus
Nashville
Vancouver
Florida
NYR
Calgary
Winnipeg

With of course the top teams being unlikely as they would require to lose + at least 3 teams higher than them to lose. I.e. for Toronto to win they would need 3 of Pitt Edmonton Carolina NYI to lose on top of losing themselves.

EDIT: This also means a middling team like NYR have better odds before the lottery started than a bottom team LOL. Again, if I'm doing this right, Montreal can only ever be team A giving them a 6% shot at the lottery. NYR can be team A - Team G. Sort of giving them a bunch of shots at it. Combining those would give them a 23.5% chance at the top pick. Don't think that is exactly how you would do that but the point stands since they can slot in in many different TBD team slots compared to a team like Mon that can only slot into one

Last edited:

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
How are they determining the TBD teams?

Is it by point percentage of the teams that don't make it into the play in?

That would make the most sense to me which would mean (if I'm doing this right) that the following teams cannot be Team E.

Montreal
Chicago
Arizona
Minnesota

There's no possible scenario in which those teams end up as Team E since they are the bottom 4 teams.

Also means that these teams can never be team E because they are the top 3 teams and there's no possible way they can fall in the team E slot.

Pittsburgh
Edmonton
Carolina

This leaves the following teams
NYI
Toronto
Columbus
Nashville
Vancouver
Florida
NYR
Calgary
Winnipeg

With of course the top teams being unlikely as they would require to lose + at least 3 teams higher than them to lose. I.e. for Toronto to win they would need 3 of Pitt Edmonton Carolina NYI to lose on top of losing themselves.

EDIT: This also means a middling team like NYR have better odds before the lottery started than a bottom team LOL. Again, if I'm doing this right, Montreal can only ever be team A giving them a 6% shot at the lottery. NYR can be team A - Team G. Sort of giving them a bunch of shots at it. Combining those would give them a 23.5% chance at the top pick. Don't think that is exactly how you would do that but the point stands since they can slot in in many different TBD team slots compared to a team like Mon that can only slot into one
Not sure what this analysis is about. 16 teams have still a shot at 1st overall. The 8 losers of the play-in will all get a 1/8th chance to pick 1st. That’s all.

Thepoolmaster

Dec 3, 2011
Not sure what this analysis is about. 16 teams have still a shot at 1st overall. The 8 losers of the play-in will all get a 1/8th chance to pick 1st. That’s all.

How is that possible. Team A had better odds at the lottery than team B. By definition that implies some kind of order, no? unless they are going to have another lottery for the losing play in teams

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Like it or not, the system is working exactly as designed. If you tweak it to more heavily favor bottom feeder teams, all you do is take the league back to the days when deliberate tanking was a thing the next time a superstar is at the top of the draft. That, IMO, is a bigger disgrace to the league, when teams deliberately tear themselves down in a race to the bottom.

Said this on the main board...

Has this system really solved tanking? Detroit and Ottawa were not trying to win games this year. If anything teams know that they have to be extra awful so that they can at least secure a top-5 pick, because they know that they’re going to get bumped up the draft board because of the lottery.

The only thing the lottery has done is create chaos for top picks, while making luck a huge factor in which teams get special draft talent.

I think the NHL likes it for entertainment purposes.

A bigger disgrace than tanking is having so much determined on luck. Every year now we’re seeing teams go up 4, 6, 8, 10+ spots. There’s nothing fair about a team like Edmonton, Pittsburgh, Toronto, Vancouver, Carolina, CBJ, NY, Calgary, or Winnipeg getting the 1st overall pick.

Reactions: Richard88
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad