Prospect Info: The 2020 Entry NHL Draft Thread: Part II

Which player are you considering the most at 27th overall currently?

• Rodion Amirov, LW [Salavat Yulaev Ufa, KHL]

• Brendan Brisson, C [Chicago Steel, USHL]

• Dylan Holloway, LW [University of Wisconsin, NCAA]

• Jan Mysak, LW [Hamilton Bulldogs, OHL]

• Jake Neighbours, LW [Edmonton Oil Kings, WHL]

• Jacob Perreault, C [Sarnia Sting, OHL]

• John-Jason Peterka, LW [EHC Munchen, DEL]

• Jeremie Poirier, D [Saint John Sea Dogs, LHJMQ]

• William Wallinder, D [Modo Hockey, Allsvenskan]

• Other [List Below]

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Button's early mock draft. History shows that he's by far the best in the business at this.

Drysdale to Detroit doesn't make sense to me, given that they have Seider and Hronek already.

Imo Stutzle is the right pick for LA, as he's arguably better than Byfield and they also have Turcotte, Vilardi, Kupari at C. Turcotte/Stutzle would be fun to watch.

I see it playing out something like this:

1. Lafreniere
2. Stutzle (LA)
3. Byfield (OTT)
4. Rossi (DET)
5. Drysdale (OTT)
6. Raymond (ANA)
7. Perfetti (NJ)
8. Sanderson (BUF)

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
I have no problem with a lottery system but I think it needs to be tweak a little:

1. Restrict the number of spots a team can jump and
2. Restrict the amount of time a team can pick #1 OA (and top-5 for that matter) within a certain number of years. It could get a little complicated but it would reduce tanking even more. This should only apply to their own pick though. For example if a team has obtained another team's pick and that pick end up #1OA then it doesn't matter if you picked #1OA the previous year.
I agree with restricting the number of spots teams can jump, and also raising the % chance the worst teams have at getting #1. 18.5% is too low and should be around 25%.

As for your 2nd point I don't think it is feasible to make restrictions that apply across several seasons. I mean, why should how a team did a few years ago impact on their chances now? A team could have different owners, GM's, and an entirely new roster in a matter of just 2-3 years (eg. see the roster overhaul the Avs had in 2017/18), so it doesn't make sense to punish a franchise for past incompetence. Each season has to be treated on it's own merits.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Some Sens insider that everyone seems to trust over there says that (for the moment at least) Dorion has Drysdale at #4 and Jack Quinn at #5 on his list.

Anyone surprised with him having Quinn this high?

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Some Sens insider that everyone seems to trust over there says that (for the moment at least) Dorion has Drysdale at #4 and Jack Quinn at #5 on his list.

Not that surprised on Quinn. I can see the upside with him, and it's pretty close anyways between guys typically ranked 4-10 (after Laf, Byfield, Stutzle).

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I agree with restricting the number of spots teams can jump, and also raising the % chance the worst teams have at getting #1. 18.5% is too low and should be around 25%.

As for your 2nd point I don't think it is feasible to make restrictions that apply across several seasons. I mean, why should how a team did a few years ago impact on their chances now? A team could have different owners, GM's, and an entirely new roster in a matter of just 2-3 years (eg. see the roster overhaul the Avs had in 2017/18), so it doesn't make sense to punish a franchise for past incompetence. Each season has to be treated on it's own merits.
I disagree. I'm not talking about moving the team back from 1st to 5th place right from one year to the next. The penalty would increase every year they remain at the bottom. Obviously you need to give time to these picks to help so I'm more looking at something like if you get #1OA the second year you can't get better than #2 then not better then #3 on the third year then maybe 5th or 6th. Something like that. At some point regardless of a change of management the organization must take responsibility for not improving. We are still talking about really good picks here over 4 or 5 years. A new GM and/or coach should be able to take the team out of the basement with picks like those. If not the upper management are the ones to blame for not hiring the right people and therefore are the ones being punished for their incompetence.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

No, that was gonna be a hawt take guess of mine. They’d have quite a good handle on the Ottawa 67s. Some teams love risers like Quinn. Ottawa doesn’t have much of a Euro staff but I’m sure they’ve been looking at the top guys.

Byfield said he hasn’t even talked to the Kings. They told him they were picking too low (4th, come on) to meet with him. Sooo that one might be wrong in everyone’s mock.

I don’t like the 3 lotto draws, it’s benefitted a team jumping up significantly just about every year like Carolina with Svech, Chicago with Dach, Dallas with Heisk. If a team wins it outright like this one then so be it.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Byfield said he hasn’t even talked to the Kings. They told him they were picking too low (4th, come on) to meet with him. Sooo that one might be wrong in everyone’s mock.

Pure speculation but that kinda sounds like an intentional leak to throw teams off from trading up for him.

Doesn't make a lot of sense to not meet with him because of that, or tell him that's the reason unless they don't like him for some reason, and don't plan on picking him anyway. There's lots of scenarios where he could slip to 4.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Ottawa doesn’t have much of a Euro staff but I’m sure they’ve been looking at the top guys.

Apparently Dorion spent a lot of time scouting in Germany this year.

I wonder if this has anything to do with the TSN guys in Ottawa really pushing the narrative that the Kings have been locked on Drysdale for quite a long time.

So since there's smoke....here's my wild prediction: Detroit will trade up.

#1: X- Lafreniere
#2: Detroit - Stutzle
#3: Ottawa - Byfield
#4- LA - Drysdale

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I wouldn't draft Quinn in the top 5 even though he's a fabulous player. I think Holtz has a higher range of pure goalscoring ability, but Jack is superior when it comes to doing more things with the puck. However, I also think that of the top 15 players he's definitely the most overrated. He plays way too much of a one-dimensional game and gets shutdown too easily at times for my liking. I am not going to say that Rossi made him into the player he is, but in the games I saw of the 67's is Jack's effectiveness decreased by tenfold when Tourigny changed the lines and took him off of Marco's.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
They could have easily avoided all this shit and confusion by WAITING until after the play-in to make the lottery drawing.

Then you'd have 16 teams in the playoffs and 15 teams in the lottery, with the normal odds, as usual.

Seriously, what was the point of doing the lottery yesterday? They didn't even use the event to make any significant announcement.

That's far more infuriating than the lottery itself.

This was the biggest issue with it. I think they just wanted to create some buzz since the league has been off for so long and they didn't want teams sitting around not knowing where they're picking. Neither is really a good reason for not just waiting until after the play-in. People would still complain about the format if a team like the Jets, who I believe had the same odds as the winning combo, won but there would be less of it.

Dan10900

May 10, 2020
I you guys land Amirov I'm gonna be pissed lol, two top 5-6 talents last year in Newhook and Byram, and a fringe top 10 talent this year in Amirov... plus you know Mack Makar Rantanen, Landy... I hear they're pretty decent too

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013

I wonder if this has anything to do with the TSN guys in Ottawa really pushing the narrative that the Kings have been locked on Drysdale for quite a long time.

#4- LA - Drysdale

That trade would make a lot of sense for both teams actually. LA holds the keys to this draft in my opinion, and they should take advantage. After going with Seider last year, you have to think that Yzerman wants to go centre, and another German in Stutzle.

LA could pick up a nice pick or prospect, move back and still get the best D in the draft.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
That trade would make a lot of sense for both teams actually. LA holds the keys to this draft in my opinion, and they should take advantage. After going with Seider last year, you have to think that Yzerman wants to go centre, and another German in Stutzle.

LA could pick up a nice pick or prospect, move back and still get the best D in the draft.
Yeah the Kings' prospect pool apparently has a lot of depth at center but little depth at D.

Although Sam Cosentino in the post lottery 31 thoughts podcast literally said that the Wings getting Perfetti at #4 is "as much of a lock as Lafreniere going #1".

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Yeah the Kings' prospect pool apparently has a lot of depth at center but no depth at D at all.

Although Sam Cosentino in the post lottery 31 thoughts podcasts literally saif that the Wings getting Perfetti at #4 is "as much of a lock as Lafreniere going #1".

Yeah I listened to that too, he seems pretty sure. Seems to be consensus too though that there’s LaFreniere in tier one, then Stutzle/Byfield in tier two. Can’t imagine that Yzerman wouldn’t take Stutzle if he can get it done. Seems like a good match for both teams. Perfetti is good, but Stutzle would be that next tier above him.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019

#4- LA - Drysdale

Yeah Dorion said in his interview with Marek and Friedman (posted in EF's 31 thoughts article) that he had spent a lot of time in Germany. Presumably it was mainly to watch Stutzle, but I wouldn't be surprised if he has his eyes on Reichel with the NYI 1st which should fall between 15-20 right about in Reichel's range. Ottawa likely go with Stutzle/Byfield at 3, Drysdale and 5, and then nabbing Reichel at 15-20 gives them a top C, top RHD, and a forward in Reichel who is a few years away but projects as a 1st line forward.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Yeah I listened to that too, he seems pretty sure. Seems to be consensus too though that there’s LaFreniere in tier one, then Stutzle/Byfield in tier two. Can’t imagine that Yzerman wouldn’t take Stutzle if he can get it done. Seems like a good match for both teams. Perfetti is good, but Stutzle would be that next tier above him.
Friedman asked Dorion in his post-lottery interview how he he would set his tiers for the draft after Lafreniere, and he said 2-3 is a tier, then there's another tier between 4-12, and another one between 13 and 18 or 20. Based on those tiers Ottawa are in a really good spot, as they'll get a guy in the 2-3 tier, along with their pick of guys in the 5-12 tier, and a player in the 13-20 tier as well.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

One thing that could happen is LA getting their guy at #2, especially since Blake said that there's 4 players in that tier .

1- Laf
2- LA- Drysdale
3- OTT- Stutzle
4- DET- Perfetti
5- OTT- Byfield

Dorion would have a big smile on his face.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Friedman asked Dorion in his post-lottery interview how he he would set his tiers for the draft after Lafreniere, and he said 2-3 is a tier, then there's another tier between 4-12, and another one between 13 and 18 or 20. Based on those tiers Ottawa are in a really good spot, as they'll get a guy in the 2-3 tier, along with their pick of guys in the 5-12 tier, and a player in the 13-20 tier as well.

Yeah Dorion:

tier 1: Laf
tier 2: Byfield-Stutzle
tier 3: players 4 to 12

Blake:

tier 1: Laf
tier 2: 4 players (??)

Reactions: Richard88

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
One thing that could happen is LA getting their guy at #2, especially since Blake said that there's 4 players in that tier .

1- Laf
2- LA- Drysdale
3- OTT- Stutzle
4- DET- Perfetti
5- OTT- Byfield

Dorion would have a big smile on his face.

I feel like Drysdale at 2 over Stuztle and Byfield would be a big mistake.

LA does have a bit of a clog at Centre ice with Kopitar, Turcotte, and Vilardi, but I think you just have to take the best talent available and figure out the rest later.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
If I'm the Kings, an unprotected 2021 1st round pick needs to be part of any deal. That piece should be non-negotiable if they're trading with the Wings. If the Wings refuse to give it up to move up a few spots then that's cool. They can stay at #4 and pick any player not named Lafreniere/Byfield/Stutzle.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I feel like Drysdale at 2 over Stuztle and Byfield would be a big mistake.

If they see a tier of 4 players and Drysdale is one of them it's fine. It wouldn't be a huge reach either, Drysdale is 4th on McKenzie's final list. Literally the next guy after the pseudo 2nd tier.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
If they see a tier of 4 players and Drysdale is one of them it's fine. It wouldn't be a huge reach either, Drysdale is 4th on McKenzie's final list. Literally the next guy after the pseudo 2nd tier.

I like the upside of Stuztle and Byfield over Drysdale.

If the Kings love Drysdale then yeah take him, but I think he’s a bit outside that Byfield/Stuztle tier.

I’m sure Detroit would be open to a trade if LA is dead set on taking Drysdale.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad