Prospect Info: The 2020 Entry NHL Draft Thread: Part II

Which player are you considering the most at 27th overall currently?

• Rodion Amirov, LW [Salavat Yulaev Ufa, KHL]

• Brendan Brisson, C [Chicago Steel, USHL]

• Dylan Holloway, LW [University of Wisconsin, NCAA]

• Jan Mysak, LW [Hamilton Bulldogs, OHL]

• Jake Neighbours, LW [Edmonton Oil Kings, WHL]

• Jacob Perreault, C [Sarnia Sting, OHL]

• John-Jason Peterka, LW [EHC Munchen, DEL]

• Jeremie Poirier, D [Saint John Sea Dogs, LHJMQ]

• William Wallinder, D [Modo Hockey, Allsvenskan]

• Other [List Below]

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
How is that possible. Team A had better odds at the lottery than team B. By definition that implies some kind of order, no? unless they are going to have another lottery for the losing play in teams
If you lose in the play-in you get 12.5% chance at 1st OA, period.

8 teams at 12.5% each = 100%

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Sometimes bad teams are just bad teams. When can we get rid of the lottery balls and stop punishing teams that actually suck?

I don’t care what anyone says, teams jumping 10+ spots isn’t fair to anyone.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
If the Avs had been worse this year... just imagine how excited we’d be! :laugh:

I really don’t get the outrage over the lottery system.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
If no lottery had been in place in 2017 and 2019, would you be happy with Hischier/Hughes over Makar/Byram? I am not sure that I would. It seemed like an outrage both times, but it may have worked out for the best in the long run. Of course, it is still early.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Personally, I’d be fine with a standard draft.

If that’s not something people like, have a lottery between the bottom five teams and don’t allow a team to pick first overall more than once in a five year span.

Alternatively, you could only allow teams to move up 3 spots, or change the odds to give bottom teams a much better chance of securing top picks. There are tons of better options.
That's fine, but the thing you're not getting at is the NHL saw teams like Oilers and Penguins a problem and decided to change it from murmurs of other teams around the league. You might hate it, but as I wrote yesterday we honestly cannot be mad at it anymore or you're going to be crying insanity. Every single draft lottery has had 1st moving down to 4th, besides I believe the Sabres. Every single draft lottery has had a team beyond 7th place get a top 3 selection. I personally don't mind the lottery as it is now, it creates story lines and accomplishes its goal of preventing tank teams. Now there are parts I don't like such as 1st dropping all the way to 4th - sorry to sound like a broken record - they should automatically be given 3rd if that's the case. Additionally, 18.5% or whatever the odds are for 1st overall is pretty damn weak, I would bump their odds around the 25% mark by taking percentages away from the other teams.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
If no lottery had been in place in 2017 and 2019, would you be happy with Hischier/Hughes over Makar/Byram? I am not sure that I would. It seemed like an outrage both times, but it may have worked out for the best in the long run. Of course, it is still early.
Scouting is getting to the point, hockey is getting more popular, and development is improving annually that I suggest the top 10 for majority of drafts in the future will always be good. Of course there will be top heavy drafts where 1st is going to be on another level than anybody else, there's going to be drafts where it will be the top 3, and there are others like 2012 where the draft class sucks. However, I think we're going to be seeing a lot more 2020 top tens than 2012 top tens.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
That's fine, but the thing you're not getting at is the NHL saw teams like Oilers and Penguins a problem and decided to change it from murmurs of other teams around the league. You might hate it, but as I wrote yesterday we honestly cannot be mad at it anymore or you're going to be crying insanity. Every single draft lottery has had 1st moving down to 4th, besides I believe the Sabres. Every single draft lottery has had a team beyond 7th place get a top 3 selection. I personally don't mind the lottery as it is now, it creates story lines and accomplishes its goal of preventing tank teams. Now there are parts I don't like such as 1st dropping all the way to 4th - sorry to sound like a broken record - they should automatically be given 3rd if that's the case. Additionally, 18.5% or whatever the odds are for 1st overall is pretty damn weak, I would bump their odds around the 25% mark by taking percentages away from the other teams.

I would be fine with the lottery if they changed the odds and limited the amount of spots teams can move. It’s the teams that go from 8 and beyond into the top-3 that irks me.

And in no way do I think it’s stopped tanking. If you’re bad, you better make sure you finish with the worst, or second worst record, because you’re most likely going to loose the lottery and be passed by other teams.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
If the Avs had been worse this year... just imagine how excited we’d be! :laugh:

I really don’t get the outrage over the lottery system.

To be fair, I’ve hated this lottery system since it was instituted.

Now... has the foolishness that’s transpired in recent years made my hate grow? Probably.

But, the Avs not having a chance at Lafreniere has 0 impact on my dislike of the current draft system.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I would be fine with the lottery if they changed the odds and limited the amount of spots teams can move. It’s the teams that go from 8 and beyond into the top-3 that irks me.
I actually don't mind all the teams who miss the playoffs, the problem with this years lottery is because of covid and not being able to finish the season...the NHL tried to make it fair for all teams which would normally miss the playoffs. However, I just read that every single team who misses has a 12.5% odds of winning based on what EJ Hradek said. If that's the case, that actually blows my mind even more because if Leafs and Florida both lose, they have the same odds lol.
And in no way do I think it’s stopped tanking. If you’re bad, you better make sure you finish with the worst, or second worst record, because you’re most likely going to loose the lottery and be passed by other teams.
Ehhhhhhhhh, wat mate? If a team deliberately tanks, then they have a 50% chance of finishing fourth. That's the literal definition of stopping a team from tanking, take their control away and put it in a bucket filled with nothing but pure chance.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I actually don't mind all the teams who miss the playoffs, the problem with this years lottery is because of covid and not being able to finish the season...the NHL tried to make it fair for all teams which would normally miss the playoffs. However, I just read that every single team who misses has a 12.5% odds of winning based on what EJ Hradek said. If that's the case, that actually blows my mind even more because if Leafs and Florida both lose, they have the same odds lol.
Ehhhhhhhhh, wat mate? If a team deliberately tanks, then they have a 50% chance of finishing fourth. That's the literal definition of stopping a team from tanking, take their control away and put it in a bucket filled with nothing but pure chance.

It hasn’t really changed anything though. Bad teams still bank on getting top picks to improve.

Ottawa and Detroit looked quite happy taking L’s in an effort to have a better shot at Lafreniere this year.

Teams still know that the worse they are the better chance they have at a higher pick. If there was a Connor McDavid and Jack Eichel in next years draft I guarantee Detroit would make no effort to fast track their rebuild.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

No.... But that's mostly because the Avs would not have taken Hischier at #1 and instead would have taken a much, much worse option and we would be in real trouble right now.

Reactions: henchman21

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I prefer a straight draft with no lottery. I don't see how tanking can't be a legitimate strategy. I don't think it's a very good strategy, but I don't see why it's bad.

Promoting the idea of losing games and being awful on purpose and getting a very good reward for it?

How is that anything other than terrible?

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Promoting the idea of losing games and being awful on purpose and getting a very good reward for it?

How is that anything other than terrible?
It does help out stronger teams in that they get to buy players from The weaker teams and if this system didn’t exist we’d be locked into fairly non competitive stratification.

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
I'm still not sold on the concept of tanking, at least not from a players point of view. These are competitive, elite athletes who want nothing more than to win. I can see an argument that the franchise does not ice the best team deliberately, but those players are still going to be going for it.

Like do you guys believe the Avs tanked in 2017? Because to me, they just looked like they sucked.

Reactions: Northern Avs Fan

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I'm still not sold on the concept of tanking, at least not from a players point of view. These are competitive, elite athletes who want nothing more than to win. I can see an argument that the franchise does not ice the best team deliberately, but those players are still going to be going for it.

Like do you guys believe the Avs tanked in 2017? Because to me, they just looked like they sucked.
No they deliberately sucked, just as Detroit did this year, however the biggest enemies of the tank are not the players but the GMs. Penguins pretty much traded a Norris defender for nothing else except to lose to have the best chance to get Mario. Penguins before the Crosby draft, purposely left everyone in the AHL in the prior drafts to employ a team of Guenins' and Marc-Andre Cliches' to play; words from Colby Armstrong. I am very sure other teams have done the same tactics at times in NHL's history.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
They could have easily avoided all this shit and confusion by WAITING until after the play-in to make the lottery drawing.

Then you'd have 16 teams in the playoffs and 15 teams in the lottery, with the normal odds, as usual.

Seriously, what was the point of doing the lottery yesterday? They didn't even use the event to make any significant announcement.

That's far more infuriating than the lottery itself.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Button's early mock draft. History shows that he's by far the best in the business at this.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015

On the other hand, history has shown that if you finish in the 5-6-7 range, it's not the end of the world since you still have a pretty decent chance to jump into the top 3. So YOU might be the team who jumps the worst team for that high pick. What's the harm of winning a few extra games in that scenario? If anything, it rewards bad teams who choose to put in a little effort instead of folding completely, because make no mistake, LA was a bad, bad team this year.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Man Ottawa is setting up real well here for the future. If they can snag Byfield/Stutzle and Drysdale... oof. A core of Tkachuk/Chabot/Drysdale/Byfield/Stutzle is sexy.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
It worked out well for us in those two cases. But for every Makar/Byram there's several Puljujarvi's or Bennett's instead of a Matthews/Laine/Eichel...

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I have no problem with a lottery system but I think it needs to be tweak a little:

1. Restrict the number of spots a team can jump and
2. Restrict the amount of time a team can pick #1 OA (and top-5 for that matter) within a certain number of years. It could get a little complicated but it would reduce tanking even more. This should only apply to their own pick though. For example if a team has obtained another team's pick and that pick end up #1OA then it doesn't matter if you picked #1OA the previous year.

Reactions: Northern Avs Fan

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
On the other hand, history has shown that if you finish in the 5-6-7 range, it's not the end of the world since you still have a pretty decent chance to jump into the top 3. So YOU might be the team who jumps the worst team for that high pick. What's the harm of winning a few extra games in that scenario?

True. You could also be Detroit and consistently loose ground in the lottery.

I don’t mind some fluctuation in the top-5, but Dach never should’ve gone to Chicago and Lafreniere shouldn’t be going to a strong team. Hopefully he lands in a place like Montreal.

We’ll see how everyone feels about the lottery if he goes to a place like Edmonton, Vancouver, Pittsburgh, Toronto, New York, or Carolina.

I could see the Oilers, Leafs, or Rangers becoming a dynasty if they get Lafreniere. If he goes to any good team with great young talent it’s going to shift the league in a hurry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->