Prospect Info: The 2020 Entry NHL Draft Thread: Part II

Which player are you considering the most at 27th overall currently?

• Rodion Amirov, LW [Salavat Yulaev Ufa, KHL]

• Brendan Brisson, C [Chicago Steel, USHL]

• Dylan Holloway, LW [University of Wisconsin, NCAA]

• Jan Mysak, LW [Hamilton Bulldogs, OHL]

• Jake Neighbours, LW [Edmonton Oil Kings, WHL]

• Jacob Perreault, C [Sarnia Sting, OHL]

• John-Jason Peterka, LW [EHC Munchen, DEL]

• Jeremie Poirier, D [Saint John Sea Dogs, LHJMQ]

• William Wallinder, D [Modo Hockey, Allsvenskan]

• Other [List Below]

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
pjimage-14.jpg

2020 NHL Draft will take place online at Centre Bell in Montreal, Quebec
Postponed, 2020

NHL Draft Lottery
Tankathon | 2020 NHL Draft Order & Lottery Simulator

Mock Drafts
2020 NHL Mock Draft | 2020 NHL Draft | NHL Draft
2020 NHL Mock Draft - NHL - DraftSite.com

Bob McKenzie's Rankings
Preliminary: Lafreniere leads loaded class in TSN Hockey's pre-season draft ranking
Mid-Season: Alexis Lafreniere enhances No. 1 status in TSN's mid-season NHL draft ranking - TSN.ca
Final: Bob McKenzie's Final Ranking: Lafreniere the surest thing in most uncertain draft year - TSN.ca

Craig Button's Rankings
September: Craig Button’s List: Canadian forwards dominate top of first NHL draft rankings - TSN.ca
November: Craig's List: Alexis Lafreniere is No. 1, but watch for Quinton Byfield and Yaroslav Askarov - TSN.ca
January: Craig’s List: Tim Stutzle, Marco Rossi climb NHL draft rankings - TSN.ca
March: Craig's List: Alexis Lafreniere solidifies status as hockey's top prospect - TSN.ca

Players

Database: Elite Prospects - NHL Draft Center
CSS - Preliminary: https://nhl.bamcontent.com/images/assets/binary/309837384/binary-file/file.pdf
CSS - Midterm: 2020 Draft Prospect Rankings | NHL Draft Prospect Rankings
CSS - Final: 2020 Draft Prospect Rankings | NHL Draft Prospect Rankings

Colorado Avalanche Draft Picks
2020 NHL Entry Draft - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
1st Round: Kept
2nd Round: Gone [to WSH]
3rd Round: Acquired [from TOR]
3rd Round: Gone [to FLA]
4th Round: Kept
5th Round: Kept
6th Round: Acquired [From FLA]
6th Round: Gone [to TOR]
7th Round: Kept

Part I: Prospect Info: - The 2020 Entry NHL Draft Thread

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
1st Round = Will be a for sure top line/pairing player. The future is so bright!
3rd Round = Can you believe we stole this player?!? See drafting has gotten SO better!
4th Round = WTF!!! They picked a guy with not on any list... and an overager to boot! Fire Hepple!
5th Round = This is a nice Euro gamble, should prove to be a steal in a few years.
6th Round = Overage Euro goalie quote filled!
7th Round = Obligatory high CHL pick that disappointed, but had to have had potential.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
1st Round = Will be a for sure top line/pairing player. The future is so bright!
3rd Round = Can you believe we stole this player?!? See drafting has gotten SO better!
4th Round = WTF!!! They picked a guy with not on any list... and an overager to boot! Fire Hepple!
5th Round = This is a nice Euro gamble, should prove to be a steal in a few years.
7th Round = Obligatory high CHL pick that disappointed, but had to have had potential.
Hmm... I don't know... is the seventh rounder from the Q even a bad skater? Or at least fat?

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019

upload_2020-6-8_11-12-24.gif

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Haha, copy-paste every year. :laugh:

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Posed a question on the main board... which draft do you think will produce greater talent? 2017, or 2020?

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
Posed a question on the main board... which draft do you think will produce greater talent? 2017, or 2020?
Depends on what metric. 2003 is considered the best draft because of the quantity of high end talent. I really only consider 3 players from 2017 to be elite. I would expect more than that from 2020.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Tough to say. I'd say 2020 as I think there will be more impact players. 2017 is really top heavy, but who really knows. The draft is a crazy crazy thing haha.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Tough to say. I'd say 2020 as I think there will be more impact players. 2017 is really top heavy, but who really knows. The draft is a crazy crazy thing haha.

I think the top-10 is deeper this year, but the 2017 first round had a lot of good players. It’s a slow developing draft, but there’s really good talent, still yet to really show up at the NHL level.

I probably lean 2020, but it’s close.

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
2017 was pretty good, but this is easily 2020 for me. Best since '15 for me and probably in the conversation with 2013 for 2nd best of the past decade. IMO.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
I can't find a "Marat Khustidinov" when I do a google search. It defaults to "Marat Khusnutdinov" every time. 2020 draft info on Khusnutdinov below.

Marat Khusnutdinov
https://thehockeywriters.com/marat-khusnutdinov-2020-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/
2020 Draft Profile: C Marat Khusnutdinov - The Draft Analyst
I was looking at him a bit more today. Found the video below on him.

If we decide to go for a C then I think he could be a nice choice where we're picking late in the 1st.

2 years from now Newhook will (hopefully) take over as 2C and having a 200 foot transition machine like Khusnutdinov in the pipeline would give us some nice options for 3C between him and Bowers.

That said, we probably have bigger fish to fry with a RHD and/or FWD so unless we pick up an extra 2nd I'm not sure he'll be our guy.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
I thought I'd play around a bit on capfriendly today to see what an ideal draft could look like.

Curious to hear some thoughts on the draft moves below, as well as what your ideal draft looks like?

upload_2020-6-10_23-42-22.png

With a haul like that our prospect pool would be absolutely insane:

upload_2020-6-10_23-44-53.png

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I thought I'd play around a bit on capfriendly today to see what an ideal draft could look like.

Curious to hear some thoughts on the draft moves below, as well as what your ideal draft looks like?

View attachment 349522

View attachment 349523
The Avs are trying to win the cup though, not trading assets for picks.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
The Avs are trying to win the cup though, not trading assets for picks.
The roster includes an UFA signing of a top 6 forward (in this case Hall). That is arguably the only thing this team really needs right now, along with good health.

Top 6 (which got cut off the picture above):

Landeskog --------- Mackinnon ----- Rantanen
Hall/other UFA ------ Kadri --------- Burakovsky

Having a good draft this year will be important for the first few years of Mackinnon's contract in 2023. Players drafted in 2020 will take 2-3 years to be ready, as they'd ideally go the same route as Bowers with 1 more season in juniors/college, plus 1-2 seasons in the AHL and only get promoted when they are truly ready (kinda like how Detroit used to do it with their prospects).

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019

View attachment 349522

View attachment 349523

I don’t mind the return for Jost and Zadorov, but I’d prefer the Avs not trade down.

They already struggle at drafting outside the top-10, so pushing back even further isn’t ideal.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017

View attachment 349522

View attachment 349523

Fantastic. Losing Jost, Zadorov and Kamenev and adding 5 extra picks. It also better positions the team for the Cap and Expansion, along with deepening the farm.

Like - Thumb.gif

Reactions: Richard88

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Where do you think he'll get taken? Someone on the prospect board just posted a list with him at #7...
Marat is probably the single biggest darkhorse in this draft. He's a bit underrated due to playing the entire season in the MHL and not really ever getting any minutes with the big club SKA. He's also pretty damn underdeveloped physically and plays a pretty soft game, but his offensive talent could be at Nylander's level and that's for a player who could realistically be a second rounder. I'm personally a big fan of him, he had a fantastic U18 and built on top of that with a solid junior campaign.

ljb4

Feb 10, 2016
westminster Co

View attachment 349522

View attachment 349523
I would do the Zadorov and Kamenev trades. I would not be opposed to the two seconds for the first and third, but only when they are on the clock and do not see a faller that they love.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers

View attachment 349522

View attachment 349523

This would be a lot more appealing if the Avs were capable of drafting NHL players out of the second round. I wouldn't complain if any of those trades individually went down, but I'd personally hold on to the first and draft the higher talent and I do wonder if Jost has more value around the league than we give him here.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
I don’t mind the return for Jost and Zadorov, but I’d prefer the Avs not trade down.

They already struggle at drafting outside the top-10, so pushing back even further isn’t ideal.
I think there are signs that they've improved their drafting in that area of the draft in the last 2-3 years, given that Timmins, Helleson, and Annunen are all progressing well. Even Stienburg looks less bad one year later even though he was a reach at the time.

upload_2020-6-11_15-22-44.png

I would do the Zadorov and Kamenev trades. I would not be opposed to the two seconds for the first and third, but only when they are on the clock and do not see a faller that they love.

Yes I agree with this. Trading down would definitely be depenedent on who is available late in the 1st. If someone really high in the rankings has dropped and is sitting there at our pick then I'd just make that pick rathe than trading down.

The way I see it there are three rough tiers, one from 1-9, then 10-23, and then 24-45ish. If no one from the first two tiers are sitting there late in the late 20's then I think the value move is to trade down and pick up another top 45 pick.

Reactions: ljb4
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad