Speculation: The 2020 Draft Thread: Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Here are my general takes on the not really that controversial top 10:

Lafreniere - 0% chance he falls to 8 so why dream?

Byfield - 0.0000001% chance he falls to 8 and I would take him over Stutzle.

Stutzle - 0.0001% chance he falls to 8 and if he does we can clutch our pearls about him being undersized and whether he can play center in the NHL.

Raymond - This is the first guy that I think that he could fall to the Sabres. Which means that he probably won't. If he does and Adams goes with another guy, I'm guessing that Dahlin slashes the tires on Adams' car the first chance he gets.

Drysdale - Hard pass. I want best forward available at 8.

Rossi - I would be happy if he falls to 8 and he's the Sabres pick.

Holtz - I think he would be a good pick at 8 and wouldn't hate it. But, he's not at the top of my list of guys that I am hoping to fall to 8.

Perfetti - He is the guy that I flip flop the most on. Part of me hopes that the Perfetti to Detroit talk is real and part of me wants him to fall to the Sabres.

Sanderson - See Drysdale and even moreso since he's a LHD.

Lundell - He is the guy that I flip flop the second most on. I won't hate the pick unless they pass on Raymond or Rossi for him. And even in that scenario, I would be hopeful that he turns into a really good 200 foot center and be well worth the pick.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
We need a top 6 winger. It should be pretty easy to get one of those with a #8 pick right?

Does anyone know if they set a date for the draft?
Sabres need center depth. Even if 3 years away. The league values centers moreso than wingers, else we'd have had less struggles filling those perpetual holes the past near-decade.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Perfetti - Is a high risk high reward type player his skating is really bad and his lack of effort on defense.
Holtz - To me Holtz is a one trick pony does not play defense at all.

I don't think Perfetti's skating is that bad. He gave him a 2A and called it the best 2A for move he's ever given out and he only really knocked him for his unique stride.

Last edited:

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Here are my general takes on the not really that controversial top 10:

Lafreniere - 0% chance he falls to 8 so why dream?

Byfield - 0.0000001% chance he falls to 8 and I would take him over Stutzle.

Stutzle - 0.0001% chance he falls to 8 and if he does we can clutch our pearls about him being undersized and whether he can play center in the NHL.

Raymond - This is the first guy that I think that he could fall to the Sabres. Which means that he probably won't. If he does and Adams goes with another guy, I'm guessing that Dahlin slashes the tires on Adams' car the first chance he gets.

Drysdale - Hard pass. I want best forward available at 8.

Rossi - I would be happy if he falls to 8 and he's the Sabres pick.

Holtz - I think he would be a good pick at 8 and wouldn't hate it. But, he's not at the top of my list of guys that I am hoping to fall to 8.

Perfetti - He is the guy that I flip flop the most on. Part of me hopes that the Perfetti to Detroit talk is real and part of me wants him to fall to the Sabres.

Sanderson - See Drysdale and even moreso since he's a LHD.

Lundell - He is the guy that I flip flop the second most on. I won't hate the pick unless they pass on Raymond or Rossi for him. And even in that scenario, I would be hopeful that he turns into a really good 200 foot center and be well worth the pick.

This is pretty close to reading my mind, almost word for word, impressive...

I like Holtz, but (today) I think I would rather grab Lundell or Perfetti.

Is Stutzle considered undersized?

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
The "worst case scenario" for the Sabres at 8 is if 7 forwards go in the top 7 and it's something like Holtz or Lundell vs Sanderson and Drysdale at 8.

I don't believe Sanderson would be a popular pick even in that scenario.
Hoping this doesn't happen but if it does it all comes down to how they value him.

If they are one of the teams that see him as a top guy and aren't thrilled with lundell or holtz, that's gotta be the pick.

Like Hughes in 2018 looks like a steal at 7. Makar outperformed forwards projected to be taken around him.

It should be a deeper draft, but if the top 7 forwards on your list are gone, is the 8th best forward definitely better than the first defenseman? Im not saying Sanderson is better than lundell, holtz, or Jarvis, but I guess I wouldn't be shocked if they or other teams do

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
This is pretty close to reading my mind, almost word for word, impressive...

I like Holtz, but (today) I think I would rather grab Lundell or Perfetti.

Is Stutzle considered undersized?

I think a lot of the ht/wt stuff has been updated for him. He's not as small as some of the stats read for him earlier in the year.

And almost everyone seems undersized compared to Byfield.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Hoping this doesn't happen but if it does it all comes down to how they value him.

If they are one of the teams that see him as a top guy and aren't thrilled with lundell or holtz, that's gotta be the pick.

Like Hughes in 2018 looks like a steal at 7. Makar outperformed forwards projected to be taken around him.

It should be a deeper draft, but if the top 7 forwards on your list are gone, is the 8th best forward definitely better than the first defenseman? Im not saying Sanderson is better than lundell, holtz, or Jarvis, but I guess I wouldn't be shocked if they or other teams do

I would still want Holtz/Lundell over either of the D.

With Dahlin in the fold, Sanderson falls way down my list unless they think that he is going to be so good that he could anchor a 2nd pair ala Nieds and Pronger with the Ducks back in the day.

But, I don't see Sanderson being that guy.

m0pe

Feb 24, 2020
Thinking 7 forwards going and leaving Drysdale sitting in our lap at 8 is the worst case scenerio seems nutty to me.

Drysdale over Perfetti, Holtz, etc. any day of the week

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018
Thinking 7 forwards going and leaving Drysdale sitting in our lap at 8 is the worst case scenerio seems nutty to me.

Drysdale over Perfetti, Holtz, etc. any day of the week
Yeah Buffalo needs to sprint to the podium if Drysdale is there at 8 unless Byfield and Rossi are too. I think I’d take Drysdale over Stuzle.

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
Perfetti - Is a high risk high reward type player his skating is really bad and his lack of effort on defense.
Holtz - To me Holtz is a one trick pony does not play defense at all.

Yeah so you can't not play defense if you're a prospect playing regularly in the SHL. You gotta put in work in both ends otherwise you're gone. I watched Holtz and Stutzle play eachother in the CHL and it's not the German that plays a complete game in both ends. The way Stutzle (and his team to be fair to him) plays would get caught so bad if they played in the SHL

Last edited:

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Jack Quinn looks like an interesting option, although I used to be skeptical of him. Surprisingly, some 67s fans rate him above Rossi. He may not be as explosive as Jarvis, but I think he plays quite smart hockey, he has a grit in his game, I think he would look good on the wing of Eichel or Cozens, a very difficult draft to choose from.

Reactions: Old Navy Goat

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
Jack Quinn looks like an interesting option, although I used to be skeptical of him. Surprisingly, some 67s fans rate him above Rossi. He may not be as explosive as Jarvis, but I think he plays quite smart hockey, he has a grit in his game, I think he would look good on the wing of Eichel or Cozens, a very difficult draft to choose from.
Quinn has been my dark horse pick for awhile

Reactions: Cheese Breadman

Zach716

Pucks in deep
Nov 24, 2018
If 7 forwards go above us and Drysdale is there I think you have to take him, regardless of how much I'd hate for that situation to unfold. Still on the Rossi >= Raymond > Perfetti train. I think the worst situation we can be in is deciding whether to take Holtz or not.

Reactions: itwasaforwardpass

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Soured a little on Rossi. Plays on a stacked team and I don’t see him creating for himself as much as he is just very opportunistic. I would still take him top 8, but I’ve moved Raymond, Perfetti and Jarvis ahead of him.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
I wish the draft lottery had not been held. Waiting all this extra time with no hockey and with the hope for a higher pick gone my interest which had been fading anyway is even more fleeting. Stupid NHL brass-the favoured 24 have a chance at top pick and/or Stanley Cup. Our hopes and those of the other lepers have had our hopes dashed way too early--we really have little to be excited about.

Reactions: TheMistyStranger

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
LOL. No hockey has been played since March and people are talking them into and out of various players based on the same old highlights. By the time the draft comes some people will have talked themselves into 7th round talent as possibilities at #8 because they have over analyzed everything to death.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
LOL. No hockey has been played since March and people are talking them into and out of various players based on the same old highlights. By the time the draft comes some people will have talked themselves into 7th round talent as possibilities at #8 because they have over analyzed everything to death.
I adjusted my rankings after seeing new isos, but, you know, whatever makes you lol.

Reactions: jc17

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I don't love quinn. He never really produced in juniors until the second half of his draft year season as one of the oldest players. Most successful players show signs of life starting a year earlier.

And I don't think the eye test did much for me either. He can play physically, make nice moves with the puck, and of course scored a lot, but when I watched him it was really inconsistent. For being a bigger and more physical guy than Rossi he lost a lot of battles ending up in possession going the other way and just didn't seem to have the hockey sense other guys at the top of this draft do.

Neither the stats nor my eyes are flawless, so he could very well be a good nhl player but there are too many question marks to take him at 8 in my opinion

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad