Speculation: The 2020 Draft Thread: Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Soured a little on Rossi. Plays on a stacked team and I don’t see him creating for himself as much as he is just very opportunistic. I would still take him top 8, but I’ve moved Raymond, Perfetti and Jarvis ahead of him.

I disagree immensely. If there's anything Rossi is good at, it's creating for himself, but also for his teammates as well. That's his biggest strength in his game. He's the straw that stirs the drink for that team.

I'd say his biggest weakness is his inconsistent compete level where he'll have 3 nights on and then 2 nights at 60-75% effort or "fire" in his game. I think the "opportunistic" tendencies is the result of him putting himself in position and striking when the moment's right. On the off nights there are times where you are hoping he attacks the puck but he doesn't.

His Floor is Derek Roy, and his ceiling is a Marner IMO. He's still ahead of those 3 for me.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
I disagree immensely. If there's anything Rossi is good at, it's creating for himself, but also for his teammates as well. That's his biggest strength in his game. He's the straw that stirs the drink for that team.

I'd say his biggest weakness is his inconsistent compete level where he'll have 3 nights on and then 2 nights at 60-75% effort or "fire" in his game. I think the "opportunistic" tendencies is the result of him putting himself in position and striking when the moment's right. On the off nights there are times where you are hoping he attacks the puck but he doesn't.

His Floor is Derek Roy, and his ceiling is a Marner IMO. He's still ahead of those 3 for me.
That’s fair. His effort was pretty bad the entire game I just watched. So much floating in all 3 zones. Barely had the puck. But if his issue is that he takes nights off, then I just watched an off night. If you have any iso or full games that you think are worth attending to I would love to. I had a very hectic year so I didn’t stream basically at all. I’m relying on YouTube to catch up on everything I missed. I still think that Jarvis belongs in the top picks though. His motor never stops and he attacks the net.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
That’s fair. His effort was pretty bad the entire game I just watched. So much floating in all 3 zones. Barely had the puck. But if his issue is that he takes nights off, then I just watched an off night. If you have any iso or full games that you think are worth attending to I would love to. I had a very hectic year so I didn’t stream basically at all. I’m relying on YouTube to catch up on everything I missed. I still think that Jarvis belongs in the top picks though. His motor never stops and he attacks the net.
which game did you watch?

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

I don't have any off the top of my head I wish I could send you for Rossi. I have Jarvis over guys like Lundell, and Holtz. If Rossi, Raymond are gone, I wouldn't hate it if Jarvis is the selection.

Reactions: truthbluth

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I would have no problem if we take Jarvis, I think it would be a good choice.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Where do you see Jarvis playing? Some say he is a centre but he is a RW like Raymond , Holtz and Quinn.

Jarvis had a huge 2nd half and is one player really hurt by the shutdown as he could have had a monster playoff run. One of the sites, I think hockeyprospect, said a lot of teams have Jarvis much higher then the rankings that have him in that 11-15 range.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Where do you see Jarvis playing? Some say he is a centre but he is a RW like Raymond , Holtz and Quinn.

Jarvis had a huge 2nd half and is one player really hurt by the shutdown as he could have had a monster playoff run. One of the sites, I think hockeyprospect, said a lot of teams have Jarvis much higher then the rankings that have him in that 11-15 range.
I think he’s a wing. Typically, guys who play wing in juniors don’t transition to center at higher levels.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013

Oh yeah, that one. I think that was the worst I've seen though Not that I can say I watched a ton,

Did you watch the top prospects game. I thought he looked pretty good there, without the advantage of having a stacked team. If anything his team had a little less talent than the opposition.

Reactions: truthbluth

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
He's a game breaker for both teams. :laugh: Reminds me of Housley. He even has red hair.

Reminds me of Subban with far more decisions that get himself INTO and then OUT of dangerous areas of the ice offensively and defensively. Lots of opportunities he creates for himself, but then makes a decision to lower the reward of the play. He'll probably be an AHL darling that fans of whatever team will for years hope "this is the year" that it finally clicks for him.

Member 308457

It still makes me ill that none of the bottom seven teams are going to even get a chance to draft Lafreniere. The best prospect, head and shoulders above the rest, is going to a playoff team, who don't need him. Maybe the NHL will really put it in our faces and he'll join Connor McDavid in Edmonton...

The proof is right here in Lafreniere: the NHL is a rigged game.

Reactions: Tatanka

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
This isn't exactly true. Bottom 7 teams had like a 90% chance of drafting him
Pre-lottery, but as of now he's correct. A team that's in the playoffs is getting a game breaking talent (I realize it's a play in round, but it's essentially playoff hockey). I'm sure this isn't the way the league wanted it to unfold, but like morons they came up with this solution to silence/appease the bubble teams and now this is what you get. The odds should have been distributed among the 7 teams that weren't in the playoffs, that was the fairest way to do it, but as usual the league got it wrong.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
It should have been 100%.
Well, I mean every year it's the 15 teams that don't make the playoffs have a shot at the 1st pick. Why should this season be any different? I don't give a shit that 8 teams got to go to the bubble and participate in the play in. If they lose that, they are not in playoffs and should have their shot at the draft lottery just like every other season.

Reactions: Jim Bob

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Tell me about Rosdi...is he too short and small for the NHL?

If a certain subset of players were gone, would you trade down 2-5 spots?

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Well, I mean every year it's the 15 teams that don't make the playoffs have a shot at the 1st pick. Why should this season be any different? I don't give a shit that 8 teams got to go to the bubble and participate in the play in. If they lose that, they are not in playoffs and should have their shot at the draft lottery just like every other season.
"Not in the playoffs"

Abraham Lincoln once asked an audience "How many legs does a dog have if you count the tail as a leg"

Everyone responded "Five".

Lincoln replied "No, the answer is four. A tail is still a tail even if you call it a leg".

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
"Not in the playoffs"

Abraham Lincoln once asked an audience "How many legs does a dog have if you count the tail as a leg"

Everyone responded "Five".

Lincoln replied "No, the answer is four. A tail is still a tail even if you call it a leg".
That’s a good quote. The NHL has had afforded teams not in the playoffs the chance to be in the draft lottery. This year should be no different.

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
watching jake sanderson highlights and anton lundell highlights and getting unreasonably angry. when is this draft?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad