Speculation: The 2020 Draft Thread: Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
Askarov, in our position, just isn't worth pick 8.

We have Ullmark still progressing in the NHL. We have UPL and Portillo as arguably the strongest part of our prospect pool.

I don't think he's better than Spencer Knight, and I didn't have Knight in my top 10 last year.

Go forward. Elite forward talent will last to 8 (Assuming Drysdale goes in the top 7, and I can't see why he wouldn't).
Not only that but goalies are such a crap shoot.Very unpredictable

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
At the moment, my favorites: Rossi, Raymond and Jarvis

Perfetti and Lundell - so far in doubt

Holtz - for me would not be a good choice

Askarov and Sanderson - rather, doubts because of the position and there is no certainty that they will be stronger than my favorites

In the future, my opinion, of course, may change.

Reactions: truthbluth

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Why don't we then take Askarov? After all, he will be special and a player at a higher level than Sanderson.
I'd imagine most of the people who post in the Sabres forum probably watched the WJC, saw Askarov play rather poorly and probably never circled back to give him another view. I think most people feel comfortable going forward with UPL and Portillo anyhow with Ulmark being an ok option for now. I will say it also tends to be hard to watch film from the MHL here in the US.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
BPA or need by tier.

None of these kids are making a difference soon anyway. So drafting a forward to “appease Eichel” or because it’s a need is stupid. You address forward for next season in a trade or free agency.

Take the best kids available at 8, develop him, and see you in three years.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I'd imagine most of the people who post in the Sabres forum probably watched the WJC, saw Askarov play rather poorly and probably never circled back to give him another view. I think most people feel comfortable going forward with UPL and Portillo anyhow with Ulmark being an ok option for now. I will say it also tends to be hard to watch film from the MHL here in the US.
My message was a little sarcastic. I live in Russia in the city of St. Petersburg and saw Askarov play in the VHL live, he is really a very talented player, he shows a very serious level at the age of 17 not in the MHL, but in the VHL where play professional hockey players, not young guys. But I agree that we need more striker.

Reactions: Asymmetric Solution

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
Thank you..people rave about Askarov but think just watching highlights..terrible at world juniors only time I saw him..where else would you see him? Not saying he isnt hood but people act like they saw lots of him lol

Reactions: is the answer jesus

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
My message was a little sarcastic. I live in Russia in the city of St. Petersburg and saw Askarov play in the VHL live, he is really a very talented player, he shows a very serious level at the age of 17 not in the MHL, but in the VHL where play professional hockey players, not young guys. But I agree that we need more striker.
Ha. Just goes to show you I'm one of those people.
On a completely unrelated note I've been impressed with what little footage/highlights I've seen from some of these Russian forwards that look like mid to late round picks. Beryozkin, Sheshin, Rashevsky. There could be a couple NHL players there.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Ha. Just goes to show you I'm one of those people.
On a completely unrelated note I've been impressed with what little footage/highlights I've seen from some of these Russian forwards that look like mid to late round picks. Beryozkin, Sheshin, Rashevsky. There could be a couple NHL players there.
It’s just that some might think that he played only in the MHL against young guys, but this is not so. Of course, he didn’t have the most successful WJC, but I will never evaluate a player by short-term tournament only.

Slangston

Buffalo Sabres
Apr 3, 2003
Western New York
Thank you..people rave about Askarov but think just watching highlights..terrible at world juniors only time I saw him..where else would you see him? Not saying he isnt hood but people act like they saw lots of him lol
I've seen him play around 25 games. That's where my vote of confidence comes from. He wasn't stellar at times this year, especially internationally in the games I watched, but I still love his game.

Reactions: Hasekperreault23

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
After a lot of reading and watching if Rossi isn't available at 8th I'd take Lucas Raymond. I get an Elias Pettersson vibe from him, played full season SHL at 17, less than 10 minutes TOI - Pettersson didn't play SHL until D+1 season.

McKenzie's final list has Raymond at 6th fwiw.

Reactions: Cheese Breadman

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
I am all in on Luke Tuch in the 2nd round - i haven't researched but I think there's extra motivation for players who get drafted by their hometown NHL team. Off the top of my head Zach Hyman came to mind, not a high draft pick, now a big contributor on his hometown Maple Leafs.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I am all in on Luke Tuch in the 2nd round - i haven't researched but I think there's extra motivation for players who get drafted by their hometown NHL team. Off the top of my head Zach Hyman came to mind, not a high draft pick, now a big contributor on his hometown Maple Leafs.

On the other side of that coin, there's Justin Bailey and Sean Malone.

Malone may have never had the talent for the NHL, but Bailey certainly did.

Edit: I forgot. Austin Osmanski in 2016 too.

We've definitely dipped into that hometown guy well recently.

Double edit:

Hyman also wasn't drafted by the Leafs.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Malone has had major injury problems, he was solid in Rochester this year. He might be a Sabres 4th liner one day still.

Osmanksi was a really late pick, very small chance of making the NHL.

Bailey, just can't seem to cut it as an NHLer, got a callup to Vancouver this year, didn't do much.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
BPA or need by tier.

None of these kids are making a difference soon anyway. So drafting a forward to “appease Eichel” or because it’s a need is stupid. You address forward for next season in a trade or free agency.

Take the best kids available at 8, develop him, and see you in three years.
I agree with this to an extent. You don't draft for today's need, but you also need to build up a system. And this system is not lacking for high floor, low ceiling dmen. We are severely lacking in forwards of all kinds though. Who is our 2nd best drafted forward not already in Rochester or Buffalo? Marcus Davidsson? Matej Pekar? Woof. I guess Rousek is interesting. After that? From a system perspective, I wouldn't be mad if they spent the entire draft on skilled forwards. Only 2 or maybe 3 of them will have any chance to make it, so take a lot of swings. That's just my opinion, and it's not about today's roster building which should be done via trade.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I think the 1st 8 picks will shake out this way.

1. Team E: Lafreniere, no explanation required. Big, physical forward with tremendous skills.

2. LA: Stutzle. The Kings are trending away from size and power and towards faster players (Kupari, Thomas). I think they keep it going with Stutzle, who gives them the flexibility to play wing as well.

3. Ottawa (from San Jose): Byfield. I think Ottawa will consider Perfetti with this pick, but eventually settle on Byfield. Along with White, Brown, Pinto, and Norris, the Sens look pretty good down the middle. If the Sens go a different route from Byfield, I think it'll be for Perfetti, who compliments their group well.

4. Detroit: Perfetti. I don't think Yzerman thinks very long about this pick. Perfetti's hockey IQ is through the roof, and he compliments the Red Wings forwards well, as many of their prospects are faster forwards. I think Perfetti settles in as a center for the Wings.

5. Ottawa: Sanderson. Sanderson skyrocketed up media and scouting service draft boards after going PPG in is last 13 games, leading scoring at the 5 Nations tournament, best player at the US top prospects game, and dominating the Bio Steel game and winning the MVP. Projects as a Werenski type defender.

6. Anaheim: Drysdale. He's the best player on the board, and Ottawa's system could use a high end LD prospect.

7. New Jersey: Raymond. I think the Devils consider Askarov and Rossi here. With more picks coming from Arizona and Vancouver, I think the Devils take BPA with Raymond. They have two good, young centers and adding Raymond gives them a Marner-like winger.

8. Buffalo: Rossi. I think the Sabres consider Holtz here, but eventually decide on Rossi. He plays like Marchand without the d-baggery, and by all accounts is exceptionally driven to succeed. He's also a center, who despite his size, is thick with a low center of gravity. His only concern is that he's a high floor, low ceiling type of prospect.

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
Marco Rossi is insanely talented. If we somehow snag him at 8, I would consider this draft an A - but I think he'll by gone by 6.

Odds we end up with Raymond or Perfetti are quite high IMO. I'll also add in Rossi's linemate Jack Quinn - although it's important to note one player might be a product of another.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Marco Rossi is insanely talented. If we somehow snag him at 8, I would consider this draft an A - but I think he'll by gone by 6.

Odds we end up with Raymond or Perfetti are quite high IMO. I'll also add in Rossi's linemate Jack Quinn - although it's important to note one player might be a product of another.

I think Perfetti is gone by 8.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013

They played mostly on separate lines I think. Same pp though

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
I think the 1st 8 picks will shake out this way.

1. Team E: Lafreniere, no explanation required. Big, physical forward with tremendous skills.

2. LA: Stutzle. The Kings are trending away from size and power and towards faster players (Kupari, Thomas). I think they keep it going with Stutzle, who gives them the flexibility to play wing as well.

3. Ottawa (from San Jose): Byfield. I think Ottawa will consider Perfetti with this pick, but eventually settle on Byfield. Along with White, Brown, Pinto, and Norris, the Sens look pretty good down the middle. If the Sens go a different route from Byfield, I think it'll be for Perfetti, who compliments their group well.

4. Detroit: Perfetti. I don't think Yzerman thinks very long about this pick. Perfetti's hockey IQ is through the roof, and he compliments the Red Wings forwards well, as many of their prospects are faster forwards. I think Perfetti settles in as a center for the Wings.

5. Ottawa: Sanderson. Sanderson skyrocketed up media and scouting service draft boards after going PPG in is last 13 games, leading scoring at the 5 Nations tournament, best player at the US top prospects game, and dominating the Bio Steel game and winning the MVP. Projects as a Werenski type defender.

6. Anaheim: Drysdale. He's the best player on the board, and Ottawa's system could use a high end LD prospect.

7. New Jersey: Raymond. I think the Devils consider Askarov and Rossi here. With more picks coming from Arizona and Vancouver, I think the Devils take BPA with Raymond. They have two good, young centers and adding Raymond gives them a Marner-like winger.

8. Buffalo: Rossi. I think the Sabres consider Holtz here, but eventually decide on Rossi. He plays like Marchand without the d-baggery, and by all accounts is exceptionally driven to succeed. He's also a center, who despite his size, is thick with a low center of gravity. His only concern is that he's a high floor, low ceiling type of prospect.
This would be the perfect scenario and the one I really hope plays out on draft day. We don’t need him to be Jack Eichel, we have him already. If he becomes a top end 2 way 2C then we are in great shape. And I don’t think he is that far away from the NHL either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad