Speculation: The 2020 Draft Thread: Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
I have a feeling if Detroit picks 2nd, Stutzle is there guy. Stevie Y was over there following their team earlier in the season and with Seider coming along well for them I wouldn’t be surprised. Stutzle plays the old Red Wings style of play.

Reactions: Chainshot

darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017
This list is in order of preference? Is there consensus drop off or tiers within this list? (3&4 are in a tier, then a drop off from 5-7).

Yea it’s in order. Tier wise I would have it:
Lafreniere

Stutzle
Rossi

Byfield
Holtz
Raymond

Byfield is the hardest for me to decide. The combination of his elite skating and big frame will be a nightmare for defensemen if he puts it all together. But I think he might have trouble with the speed of the NHL. Seemed like he was a step behind at the wjc.

I think LA would definitely take him if they get 2nd overall.

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
Yea it’s in order. Tier wise I would have it:
Lafreniere

Stutzle
Rossi

Byfield
Holtz
Raymond

Byfield is the hardest for me to decide. The combination of his elite skating and big frame will be a nightmare for defensemen if he puts it all together. But I think he might have trouble with the speed of the NHL. Seemed like he was a step behind at the wjc.

I think LA would definitely take him if they get 2nd overall.

Cool thanks for the insight. How high end is Lafreniere compared to other consensus top picks? Not generational but a clear solid #1? Taylor Hall/Tavares style? (who is basically the only one I know if from limited hear say).

Time to start my research with a top 5 pick or so in reach for sure.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
Cool thanks for the insight. How high end is Lafreniere compared to other consensus top picks? Not generational but a clear solid #1? Taylor Hall/Tavares style? (who is basically the only one I know if from limited hear say).

He's a solid 1st overall, gets a bit more hype due to Canada's last few down years. Upgrade on Hughes/Kakko but a downgrade on Matthews

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
I’m just looking forward to @Chainshot providing his NHL comparables for the top 10 in the draft, as per his annual tradition. It’s always a joy when Chain drops some knowledge bombs on who these kids will end up like in 10 years, and no one loves comparables more than Chain. :laugh:

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I'll take Cole Perfetti

I honestly want to like Byfield but I just feel he busts at the NHL level.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
Not sure if posted but draft lottery is one month from tomorrow.

On Thursday, April 9th, the league will run the drawing to determine the draft order for picks one through fifteen.

KiwiGriff

It’s a Bloody Business Bates!
Dec 29, 2019
Porirua
I'll take Cole Perfetti

I honestly want to like Byfield but I just feel he busts at the NHL level.
My big worry with Byfield is whether he is good because he’s a man amongst boys. How will he go when he’s a boy amongst men?

In other news - the Ducks just pushed their game into OT with the extra skater! Go Ducks!

darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017

Yea not generational but he's the clear #1. As others have said, I think he gets a lot of hype because he's Canadian. But he is a damn good prospect. 6'1, 190+ lbs already at 18 and he plays like a bulldog on the ice. Add in the very high on-ice awareness/hockey IQ and that deadly wrist shot and you should really start to envy whoever gets him.

I think he's just below the Matthews/Jack tier. Hopefully he ends up on a team that actually knows how to hockey(not in our division).

darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017
Byfield won't bust, too much skill so he'll carve out a career. The question is whether he ends up as a Lecavalier or a Legwand

I think if the offense doesn't end up working out for him, the right coach could turn him into an incredible defensive C. The reach, strength, and skating ability will make him a nightmare to play against.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
I think if the offense doesn't end up working out for him, the right coach could turn him into an incredible defensive C. The reach, strength, and skating ability will make him a nightmare to play against.
I agree, he'll be a NHLer its just whether he'll perform to his draft status. I hope for his sake, he spends next year in the OHL growing into his body

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I’m just looking forward to @Chainshot providing his NHL comparables for the top 10 in the draft, as per his annual tradition. It’s always a joy when Chain drops some knowledge bombs on who these kids will end up like in 10 years, and no one loves comparables more than Chain. :laugh:

I'll take an early stab

My top 10
upload_2020-3-9_11-22-10.png

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Just curious on the takes, curious in how you came to the comparisons?

I am not meaning to belittle or attack.

mostly just styles of play.

Lafreniere is the kind of player who does the hard ozone work, that compliments his scoring skill set well and makes players around him better... not wanting to make a Crosby-lite comparison I went with a winger who does similar in zone heavy lifting to compliment his offensive skills...

Reactions: Sabre the Win

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Lafreniere can drive a line but plays LW. We have Skinner and Olofsson on LW. If we are lucky enough to draft him do we look to trade down for a C and a good piece?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad