Speculation: The 2020 Draft Thread: Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
mostly just styles of play.

Lafreniere is the kind of player who does the hard ozone work, that compliments his scoring skill set well and makes players around him better... not wanting to make a Crosby-lite comparison I went with a winger who does similar in zone heavy lifting to compliment his offensive skills...

My comp has been Stone. When someone wants to see constant, permanent high IQ hockey, at least in the ozone, I'll show them McDavid, and Laf.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
If Botterill remains, he can take a defender, because we need more depth in defense. :sarcasm:

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
If Rossi were 6 foot tall, he’d be the 2nd overall pick. He’s a bulldog like Marchand on the puck without the d-baggery. He has some Briere to his game: small center who will go to the net and play big on the boards.

if he’s on the board when the Sabres are up, it’s a no brainer.
He might be 2nd overall anyway.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
If Rossi were 6 foot tall, he’d be the 2nd overall pick. He’s a bulldog like Marchand on the puck without the d-baggery. He has some Briere to his game: small center who will go to the net and play big on the boards.

For sure. Rossi is a top 5 lock, and trending higher.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
This kid and Evan Vierling are two kids that I think will be really good value picks from the OHL.
They were both high picks coming into the league and have come on strong, albeit on bad teams.

Mercuri, who is also mentioned in that article, is interesting too.
He was a dominant kid coming up in Quebec that fell due to his interest in going to school.
His boots are heavy, but he can play.
It will be interesting to see if he actually ends up at Vermont now that Sneddon is out.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Rossi and Lundell are on the board at the Sabres pick, who are you taking?

I think Lundell will be a very good two way centre.

I just think something about Rossi could be special. He is my pick.

Reactions: Cheese Breadman

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018

I would also take Rossi. I’m to take a dilemma if Byfield, Rossi and Stutzle are on the table, and then I would already choose between Raymond and Lundell if we choose fifth or sixth.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006

Somehow I missed seeing him live so far this year so I have not got the eye test to help me out with his skating. I have to admit that watching John Tavares in junior he amazed me with his point production for a mediocre junior skater--but he did improve a lot.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY

There’s absolutely no doubt you take Rossi if he’s there. He’s a franchise player.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

Rossi is my pick before everybody but Lafreniere. Honestly, I'd put Lundell Stutzle ahead of Byfield as well.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Stutzle is such an electric player to watch. I think he will be a centre at the NHL level and be a huge impact player with his skating, skill and brain.

I think a lot of people are down on Byfield because he wasn’t prominent at the WJCs but he is basically a developmental year behind a lot of these guys with his birthday. If he falls to 4th or so someone is getting an Elias Petersen-like steal.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Stutzle is such an electric player to watch. I think he will be a centre at the NHL level and be a huge impact player with his skating, skill and brain.

I think a lot of people are down on Byfield because he wasn’t prominent at the WJCs but he is basically a developmental year behind a lot of these guys with his birthday. If he falls to 4th or so someone is getting an Elias Petersen-like steal.

Agree on Stutzle. He's the guy I find most entertaining of the top end of the draft class. His edgework and ability to thread the puck through tiny openings is too much fun. Someone's going to have a damn good player.

Byfield is so very young for his draft class. If people are going purely off a 19-year old dominated tournament for a 17-year old in his draft year, they are probably the same ones who thought Mitts was a better prospect than Pettersson.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Having not spent a lot of time digging into some of the later picks, there won't be U18's and CHL playoffs to get a longer look at some. Ah well.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I still have fears that Botterill's preference for "big" over skilled leads them to take someone like Holloway who reminds me more of Rasmussen than anyone else ranked highly in this draft.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
i have a fear Botts opinion will even matter

At the moment, I'm going operate like he and his staff are still going to be making the calls come draft day, since even if they replace him, their scouting book will mostly be already written and used by any potential replacement, especially in later rounds.

He has prioritized size over skill and IQ with some regularity, so I could see them being higher on Holloway than I am.

Reactions: Dirty Dog
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad