Speculation: The 2020 Draft Thread: Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
Do any of you guys question the numbers when a team has multiple prospects lighting it up? Ott is stacked this year and was curious if there is a McDavid/Strome DeBrincat phenomena. Or a Marner, Tkachuk Pu effect. Just curious. Haven’t paid attention this year for the first time in a long while.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Do any of you guys question the numbers when a team has multiple prospects lighting it up? Ott is stacked this year and was curious if there is a McDavid/Strome DeBrincat phenomena. Or a Marner, Tkachuk Pu effect. Just curious. Haven’t paid attention this year for the first time in a long while.

not for Rossi. He generates a lot on his own

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Ottawa also splits their firepower and has Quinn on a separate line. I'm sure there's some correlation due to teams needing to split defensive coverage, but both do their own damage

Yep. I'd like them to take a good hard look at Garreffa who plays with Rossi as a UDFA too. Kid can play forward or defense, all sorts of hands and vision.

Duddy

Everyday is
Dec 24, 2005
If Rossi is there and we don't draft him, Botts is worse than we thought.
Aside from my bias and all that, the dude has elite skill, an elite heary an elite motor and would do so much good for our team.

But in the end we will draft a defensman, because of Cozens and Mitts.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
There is a lot more to playing center than winning faceoffs.

Agree 100% on this, and I still believe he can play center in the league. He's just too intelligent of a player not to be a driver of the play from the center position.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
What about the Swedes Raymond and Holtz? Somehow here no one wants to take them, what is their problem?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
What about the Swedes Raymond and Holtz? Somehow here no one wants to take them, what is their problem?

I like both, hell, I like Stutzle more than just about all of the guys we've talked about. :biglaugh:

There is no issue there.

Edit - Holtz is the finisher, Raymond more playmaker. Hell you could throw Gunler in there as super-talented and someone who could be at the tail end of the top 10.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Agree 100% on this, and I still believe he can play center in the league. He's just too intelligent of a player not to be a driver of the play from the center position.

I won't be surprised either way.

The key will be what wingers he gets at the NHL level.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
For sure, but he does everything else well. Moving a guy that talented and that dynamic in the face off dot to wing Because of “size” is idiotic and what losing franchises do.

It's not just about his size.

This sums up what it takes to be an elite center.

Winnipeg Jets assistant coach Todd Woodcroft on how to develop elite centres

Woodcroft comes back to our conference every summer, and his presentations are about as jam-packed with helpful knowledge as it gets. You don’t want to miss this one. Key quotes from Woodcroft’s presentation:
  • “The best teams in the world work to protect the middle of the ice defensively and offensively. Entries are a controlled invasion of the other team’s zones.”
  • “The DNA of a centre: a threat in each zone, the conscience of your team, puck transporter, responsible down low, understands the importance of defending.”
  • “Centres exist to create the conditions for their teammates to perform. How do you get your centres to embrace this role? Show them the importance of the relationship, and encourage the D to have confidence in centres in all zones.”
Only time will tell if Rossi can do all of those things at the NHL level.

But, I can understand why some people would question that. Just like how I'm sure some people had questions about Cozens at center long term when he was a prospect 12 months ago.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
It's not just about his size.

This sums up what it takes to be an elite center.

Winnipeg Jets assistant coach Todd Woodcroft on how to develop elite centres

Only time will tell if Rossi can do all of those things at the NHL level.

But, I can understand why some people would question that. Just like how I'm sure some people had questions about Cozens at center long term when he was a prospect 12 months ago.
This can be a concern for 99% of the centres drafted into the NHL. It just bugs me that they want to point it out just for Rossi when he excels at everything on that list.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
There is a lot more to playing center than winning faceoffs.

I think the way he positions himself and defends points to a guy who is going to be a very good center. He does things to shield the puck and create coming out of the corners that I see very few players making. His agility is top notch. His speed is not an issue. He thinks the game very, very well and the concern seems like it is size based. I would rather play with Saku Koivu than Erik Rasmussen.

darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017
I have:
Lafreniere
Stutzle
Rossi
Byfield
Holtz

I’m not sure about Byfield. The talent level is enormous. But I question the awareness/iq. But if we end up with any of those guys it will be a massive upgrade over what we’ve had at 2C/RW2.

Reactions: Chainshot

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
So I have long said to my friends and family I talk hockey with in real life that if I were a GM I would draft SPA(smartest player available) and not BPA. I thought this was kind of how Detroit drafted. Get smart players and have their development team work on the areas that need improving.

Watching us against the Flyers tonight. I can’t help but think our scouts don’t put enough emphasis on IQ. We make a lot of dumb plays.

In order to play fast you have to be able to think the game at a fast pace. We as a team do not. I feel this is why the LOG line is as effective as they are. All 3 are smart players and read the ice well before they make a play with the puck. We need more of that on this team.

Reactions: Bferra13 and jc17

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
I have:
Lafreniere
Stutzle
Rossi
Byfield
Holtz

I’m not sure about Byfield. The talent level is enormous. But I question the awareness/iq. But if we end up with any of those guys it will be a massive upgrade over what we’ve had at 2C/RW2.

This list is in order of preference? Is there consensus drop off or tiers within this list? (3&4 are in a tier, then a drop off from 5-7).

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
So I have long said to my friends and family I talk hockey with in real life that if I were a GM I would draft SPA(smartest player available) and not BPA. I thought this was kind of how Detroit drafted. Get smart players and have their development team work on the areas that need improving.

Watching us against the Flyers tonight. I can’t help but think our scouts don’t put enough emphasis on IQ. We make a lot of dumb plays.

In order to play fast you have to be able to think the game at a fast pace. We as a team do not. I feel this is why the LOG line is as effective as they are. All 3 are smart players and read the ice well before they make a play with the puck. We need more of that on this team.
Agree with the first half, disagree with the 2nd. This team is really slow mentally, especially the defense which allows us to get hemmed in because they cant decide what to do with the puck before a forechecker is on top of them. Then they turn it over.

I don't know if I would call LOG super smart, but I think they've committed to a style where they dont have to be in the offensive zone.

From the limited I've seen Stutzle seems to fit that smart category, but I doubt we get him without serious lottery luck.

Reactions: itwasaforwardpass

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Agree with the first half, disagree with the 2nd. This team is really slow mentally, especially the defense which allows us to get hemmed in because they cant decide what to do with the puck before a forechecker is on top of them. Then they turn it over.

I don't know if I would call LOG super smart, but I think they've committed to a style where they dont have to be in the offensive zone.

From the limited I've seen Stutzle seems to fit that smart category, but I doubt we get him without serious lottery luck.

Stutzle is a dynamic combination of superior skating and brain. He is fun to watch, one's eye - like the puck - is simply drawn to him when he's on the ice.

Reactions: itwasaforwardpass
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad