Prospect Info: The 2019 Entry NHL Draft Thread - Part X

Status
Not open for further replies.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
There is some truth to that, but you can't pay them all. If you pay Barrie 8M and 2 years from now he's your 3rd most important D (possibly 4th if we draft Byram), you have a serious payscale problem and you're tying up salary where you don't want to. So, the entire question hinges on what role you see him playing going forward, and the crystal ball is pretty murky there.

Trading Barrie now not only potentially makes the expansion draft problem easier to manage, it also removes a bit chunk of next years cap commitment, allowing you flexibility to go after a UFA without handcuffing yourself. Now, obviously you have to get good value coming back, but IMHO it makes complete sense for them to look at options if they present themselves.
Yes but as long as his contract is still of decent value he can be traded if that happens.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
I think Landy is the easy target after Barrie, but the sneaky one is Girard. I could see those negotiations being tricky with a 2 year bridge, then the inevitable nonsense will ensue.

I think Girard is one of those guys that's hard to valuate. Offensive defensman but not really a big time point producer, decent in his own end but can get pushed around. One of those guys that I think reasonable observers can have wildly different valuations on.

Reactions: AvsGuy

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I think Girard is one of those guys that's hard to valuate. Offensive defensman but not really a big time point producer, decent in his own end but can get pushed around. One of those guys that I think reasonable observers can have wildly different valuations on.
Not worried about Girard.
The ROR, Duchene, Barrie, EJ, Varly and Landy core is slowly but surely being replaced by Mack, Rants, Girard, Makar and the upcoming #4. I don't think they'll make the same mistakes twice but we'll see.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
I'm beginning to think it's Byram or Dach. Just depends on whether something can be swung for Barrie.

Interesting on the timing of these Barrie rumours.

Sakic & Co. are extremely secretive. For a rumour so close to the draft (assuming some truth), a trade is being prepared or soften the drafting of Byram.

Reactions: Foxtail

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Interesting on the timing of these Barrie rumours.

Sakic & Co. are extremely secretive. For a rumour so close to the draft (assuming some truth), a trade is being prepared or soften the drafting of Byram.

Some posters have me convinced that Dach might just eventually become the best player of the class. But Byram is a no lose proposition as well. I keep thinking we should be thrilled regardless although I prefer Byram if only because it fits the organization's needs like a glove and give it the flexibility to fill in with trades and FA acquisitions.

Is there any possibility of flipping Barrie + for Horvat and something else around Kapanen? I was lurking in their forum and they were referencing D. I think we shouldn't take it as a given that Z will easily re-sign with us at a reasonable cost.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Barrie and Byram don't even play on the same side, I don't think there's a correlation between the 2 events. Byram wouldn't replace Barrie.

I’m aware they play different sides, but Byram will eventually replace some of the lost offensive production and improve the defence. It also changes the defensive alignments that could open different trade options.

Byram - Makar
Girard - EJ
Cole/Graves - Meloche/Timmins

Zadorov/Barrie are seeking new deals and assume not returning. Byram helps to minimize the impact of the losses. The amended pairings are solid throughout the lines, greater financial flexibility and opportunity to trade for the needed player - 2C.

Gabe the Babe

Apr 24, 2014
To me the #4 pick tier is Turcotte, Dach, Byram. You can miss me with the Zegras or Cozens nonsense.

I’ve been consistent since March that those are the only three worth consideration. Otherwise trade back.
Just to confirm that I’m the truth. And that there are only 3 choices.

Edit: that probably just means they’ll draft Caufield even more.

Attachments

• F3DE05A1-C2C3-4C92-ABBA-0911D767DA02.png
    F3DE05A1-C2C3-4C92-ABBA-0911D767DA02.png
    361.4 KB · Views: 6

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Some posters have me convinced that Dach might just eventually become the best player of the class. But Byram is a no lose proposition as well. I keep thinking we should be thrilled regardless although I prefer Byram if only because it fits the organization's needs like a glove and give it the flexibility to fill in with trades and FA acquisitions.

Is there any possibility of flipping Barrie + for Horvat and something else around Kapanen? I was lurking in their forum and they were referencing D. I think we shouldn't take it as a given that Z will easily re-sign with us at a reasonable cost.

If Dach somehow becomes better than Kakko I'll be incredibly shocked. For me, he doesn't even end up in the top-10 but I'm more down on him than most.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
The Barrie trade rumors are like the Stastny trade rumors, just low level white noise. It never materialized into anything with Stastny and there is a real chance it won't with Barrie either. I wouldn't even be shocked if Barrie walks for nothing next summer, even if I don't expect it.

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway
Happy Draft-and-oh-my-God-rumours-are-swirling-day everybody! It's like being a kid on Christmas Eve again :vhappy:

My clear 1st choice at #4 is still Turcotte, but I'm expecting Chicago to pick him, so any of Zegras, Dach and Byram is ok with me. Expecting Dach.

Also starting to expect one of those top 10-11 fwds to be there at #16, because of the Knight/Broberg-rumours and also expecting Philly to take a D like Seider/Soderstrom.

And don't trade Barrie, Joe. Re-sign him instead. It's going to be reeeeal expensive, but enough of this perpetual rebuild-shit. Imo, it's completely unrealistic to get a Horvat back for Barrie, the best we can expect is a RNH, and he's only got two more years on his contract, so we all know how that's gonna go, both on this board and with an extension.

So excited for these two days :hyper: :vhappy:

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway
Personally I would take Dach/Turcotte and draft a D with no. 16. Will be so many solid Ds still left for that pick. Do it the other way around and you got to get lucky to find that 2C with no. 16.

To me it seems so obvious, but....

Re-sign Barrie, pick a fwd at #4 and #16 (or trade the #16 for a top/middle six fwd). Pick a G (Kotchetkov) and two D in the 2nd/3rd :thumbu:

Reactions: Brett44

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Re-sign Barrie, pick a fwd at #4 and #16 (or trade the #16 for a top/middle six fwd). Pick a G (Kotchetkov) and two D in the 2nd/3rd :thumbu:

That works as well. I just would not pick a D at no. 4 with the way the team is built.

I know BPA, but it only took weeks of hockey after the 2017 draft to understand that Pettersson probably is the best forward from that draft. So if "BPA" can change drastically within weeks than you got to consider position somewhat as well. You can never say so because fans react to it, but pick Dach and call him BPA.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
I hate my own naivety - why are we assuming neither Barrie nor Zadorov is returning?

Yeah I could see Trade Value being traded but would rather sign him. I truly have no idea where the Z stuff came from though. Personally I think we should re-sign both but hell, what do I know.

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO
Did I miss some comment or rumor somewhere that so many people are suddenly really convinced that Dach would be the F choice at 4?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad