Prospect Info: The 2019 Entry NHL Draft Thread - Part X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hans Landaskog

Feb 27, 2012
Denver
Calling it now, pundits will talk about if the Avs will trade Barrie or not during the draft (it doesn't happen). Avs draft Caufield at #4 and Pods starts to slip, we think Avs could get him, but he goes at #15 and Avs take an off the board pick at #16.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Calling it now, pundits will talk about if the Avs will trade Barrie or not during the draft (it doesn't happen). Avs draft Caufield at #4 and Pods starts to slip, we think Avs could get him, but he goes at #15 and Avs take an off the board pick at #16.

Caufield and Brink lol

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
They need to just suck it up and sign Barrie. They're not going to get enough value back to warrant trading the guy

How do you define value? Position, production, play, IQ, replaceability, open up another protected slot in the upcoming entry draft, cut salary, etc.? Don't get me wrong. I think the consensus revolves around a $7.5M AAV long-term contract. I'm guessing Barrie would want minimum $7.75M as a cap friendly deal for the Avs. I don't think he'll ask for $10M but at least $8M. But I could see the Avs being bullheaded about what they'll pay.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
How do you define value? Position, production, play, IQ, replaceability, open up another protected slot in the upcoming entry draft, cut salary, etc.? Don't get me wrong. I think the consensus revolves around a $7.5M AAV long-term contract. I'm guessing Barrie would want minimum $7.75M as a cap friendly deal for the Avs. I don't think he'll ask for $10M but at least $8M. But I could see the Avs being bullheaded about what they'll pay.

I think you've got to pay talented players market or close to market value if you ever want to win anything.

dwkdnvr

Mar 10, 2004
I think you've got to pay talented players market or close to market value if you ever want to win anything.

There is some truth to that, but you can't pay them all. If you pay Barrie 8M and 2 years from now he's your 3rd most important D (possibly 4th if we draft Byram), you have a serious payscale problem and you're tying up salary where you don't want to. So, the entire question hinges on what role you see him playing going forward, and the crystal ball is pretty murky there.

Trading Barrie now not only potentially makes the expansion draft problem easier to manage, it also removes a bit chunk of next years cap commitment, allowing you flexibility to go after a UFA without handcuffing yourself. Now, obviously you have to get good value coming back, but IMHO it makes complete sense for them to look at options if they present themselves.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
You'd think he'd make better sauce passes.

God damn that's good. Well done sir.

giphy.gif

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
There is some truth to that, but you can't pay them all. If you pay Barrie 8M and 2 years from now he's your 3rd most important D (possibly 4th if we draft Byram), you have a serious payscale problem and you're tying up salary where you don't want to. So, the entire question hinges on what role you see him playing going forward, and the crystal ball is pretty murky there.

Trading Barrie now not only potentially makes the expansion draft problem easier to manage, it also removes a bit chunk of next years cap commitment, allowing you flexibility to go after a UFA without handcuffing yourself. Now, obviously you have to get good value coming back, but IMHO it makes complete sense for them to look at options if they present themselves.

He’ll be worth more a couple years into that new contract.

Pacman33

#teamZ
Feb 9, 2017
Ill be fine with whomever we take at 4 but starting to really want dach. Think hes the home run pick and ive never been a safe pick fan. I know most prefer turcotte but just dont see the same level of potential as a dach or zegras. Turcotte would be a great fit but its hopefully gonna be a long time before we draft this high again so prefer the upside of a dach

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017

So well said! :hockey:

Unfortunately, you pissed off the pro-Barrie Posters.

:cf:

Reactions: Veritas0Aequitas

ljb4

Feb 10, 2016
westminster Co
For #4 I hope they take the leftover of Turcotte/Byram, but if Turcotte goes #3 and the Avs are set on picking a forward and decide to trade down, which of these would be the best value:

1) #4 and #47 to LA for #5 and #33 (pick Dach or Zegras)
2) #4 and #78 to Detroit for #6 and #35 (get leftover of Dach or Zegras)
3) #4 to Buffalo for #7 and #31 (Boldy/Podkolzin)
4) #4 to Anaheim for #9 and #29 (Boldy/Podkolzin)
5) #4, #16, and Kerfoot to Vancouver for Horvat and #10 (doubt Vancouver goes for this)
6) Stay at #4 and pick your forward.

My preference would be Vancouver followed by LA and Detroit.

Reactions: Julie
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad