Prospect Info: The 2019 Entry NHL Draft Thread - Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Cozens is becoming underrated here... He's big, physical, can skate incredibly well for his size, good 2 way player, and a good shot. He plays at a fast pace and can make plays at speed. The concerns with Cozens lie in when the game slows down he isn't nearly as effective and his puck skills will be merely average to above average in the NHL. Now if those develop and he learns to play at different paces (or if his pace is high enough to consistently be effective like MacK's), then you have a future top line center in the mold of Scheifele. He's a projection pick and one that has good upside, but is a bit risky to get there. Your bottom end is north-south power winger that is just a decent 2nd liner.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Cozens is becoming underrated here... He's big, physical, can skate incredibly well for his size, good 2 way player, and a good shot. He plays at a fast pace and can make plays at speed. The concerns with Cozens lie in when the game slows down he isn't nearly as effective and his puck skills will be merely average to above average in the NHL. Now if those develop and he learns to play at different paces (or if his pace is high enough to consistently be effective like MacK's), then you have a future top line center in the mold of Scheifele. He's a projection pick and one that has good upside, but is a bit risky to get there. Your bottom end is north-south power winger that is just a decent 2nd liner.

Is he actually under-rated or does he just not get hyped by any of us? I don't think anyone has him outside of the top 10, even if we have him towards the bottom of that tier, alongside Boldy.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Is he actually under-rated or does he just not get hyped by any of us? I don't think anyone has him outside of the top 10, even if we have towards the bottom of it with Boldy.

He seems to just be lost in the shuffle right now everywhere... in that 8-10 range where he looks like a 4-5-6 guy to me. You have Hughes, Kakko, Zegras, and Turcotte who I think are clearly ahead. Zegras would be debated by most, so willing to say he's variable. I'd take Cozens over Dach, debate with Byram, clearly ahead of Dach and Caufield... just kinda lost in the shuffle.

Reactions: Y3TI

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
He seems to just be lost in the shuffle right now everywhere... in that 8-10 range where he looks like a 4-5-6 guy to me. You have Hughes, Kakko, Zegras, and Turcotte who I think are clearly ahead. Zegras would be debated by most, so willing to say he's variable. I'd take Cozens over Dach, debate with Byram, clearly ahead of Dach and Caufield... just kinda lost in the shuffle.

I take it you don’t think the Avs should take Byram if the Hawks don’t? More upside with the centers? Just safer bets? Long-term team needs?

Reactions: Lemonlimey

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Is he actually under-rated or does he just not get hyped by any of us? I don't think anyone has him outside of the top 10, even if we have him towards the bottom of that tier, alongside Boldy.

I mean he should be in the discussion for 5/6/ pretty easily. Turcotte and Zegras are the only C’s I’d take before him.

Edit: What henchy said.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

That's just because you massively under-rate Pod...

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I take it you don’t think the Avs should take Byram if the Hawks don’t? More upside with the centers? Just safer bets? Long-term team needs?

Byram is the best defensive prospect in this draft, but I don't think he is an elite prospect at the position. A weaker year for higher end defensemen, but deep in the #2-4 sort of D projections. Zegras is the guy I'd pick at 4 with zero hesitation. I'd take him at 3.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I think right now he's right in that 6 to 8 range where Scheifele went as well, speaking of Scheifele. Could he go as high as four, sure. Lower than 9th? Nah.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I think right now he's right in that 6 to 8 range where Scheifele went as well, speaking of Scheifele. Could he go as high as four, sure. Lower than 9th? Nah.
I mean he should be in the discussion for 5/6/ pretty easily. Turcotte and Zegras are the only C’s I’d take before him.

Edit: What henchy said.

I have him in that same range as Dach, Byram & Boldy behind Hughes, Kakko, Podkolzin, Zegras, Turcotte & Caufield...even though I recognize that Byram is unlikely to fall further than LA. I just don't rate any Cs in this class as top 5 picks other than Hughes, Zegras & Turcotte.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I have him in that same range as Dach, Byram & Boldy behind Hughes, Kakko, Zegras, Podkolzin, Turcotte & Caufield...even though I recognize that Byram is unlikely to fall further than LA. I just don't rate any Cs in this class as top 5 picks other than Hughes, Zegras & Turcotte.
Oh, you accidentally have Podkolzin fourth.

Reactions: Y3TI and Barklez

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Feels like the Turcotte to Chicago thing is just a cute narrative at the moment. He’s very worthy of consideration there but we aren’t talking about some generational prospect here where there some innate pressure to pick him. Maybe if it were Jack Hughes. But the majority of hockey fans have no idea who Alex Turcotte is or Byram or Zegras.

Just browsing the Hawks forum, they don’t seem to have any idea who they are going to take any more than we do. Just the same reading way too much into pre draft puff pieces and the number of times their management or twitter mentions a certain prospect to try and draw some non-existent correlation to who they are leaning towards.

It’s definitely going to be an interesting draft day.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Friedman said Colorado could be interested in moving up from #16 for what it's worth.

Anyway, nab Turcotte/Zegras at #4 and then one of the good D prospects later.

Thanks, I thought this may be the case with the Avs wanting to possibly move up in the 11-15 range. They have Ottawa's third (effectively a low second round pick) plus their own second round pick. It would be a smart move to try it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad