Prospect Info: The 2019 Entry NHL Draft Thread - Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I really don't feel like Turcotta has a lower ceiling than Cozens.

Turcotte is real close to be physically mature (5'11, 186lb with super low body fat%) and he's probably been around the game since he learned to walk (his dad was an NHLer). I think he's much closer to a finished product than Cozens who still has the body of a tall 15-16 yo with little to no muscle mass. IMO Cozens has more room to grow both his physique and his game.

Similar to the Kotkaniemi vs Brady Tkachuk situation last year with Tkachuk having the much higher floor but Kotkaniemi having (IMO) the higher ceiling.

At least that's my reasoning, I'd be fine with either.

Last edited:

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Turcotte is real close to be physically mature (5'11, 186lb with super low body fat%) and he's probably been around the game since he learned to walk (his dad was an NHLer). I think he's much closer to a finished product than Cozens who still has the body of a tall 15-16 yo with little to no muscle mass. IMO Cozens has more room to grow both his physique and his game.

Similar to the Kotkaniemi vs Brady Tkachuk situation last year with Tkachuk having the much higher floor but Kotkaniemi having (IMO) the higher ceiling.

Yes but Cozens lack of dynamic IQ is the reason, and IMO his shot is nothing really extremely special right now. Which is a strength, but could also advance with strength obviously.

Also no way any of these guys are finished or close to finished, but IMO IQ isn't something that I think advances with physical maturity. Turcotte's all around skill level is simply higher in every category besides pure size. Where I think Cozens lack of dynamic ability could limit his ultimate upside.

Again I don't see his shot as a talent that separates him enough. So that sort of adds to it for me.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
If the skills are comparable the guy with more size has more upside.

Cozens will be a winger and Turcotte will be a center so they aren't really that comparable. Cozens is bigger, a tad faster and has a slightly better shot, but also has 0 IQ. Turcotte is better 2 way and has crazy high IQ, he is also the better prospect.

If you are a team that wants a boom or bust power forward winger then Cozens will be a good option along with maybe a Brody or Pod.

If you want a Center then you are looking at Turcotte, Dach and maybe Zegras and Krebs.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Cozens will be a winger and Turcotte will be a center so they aren't really that comparable. Cozens is bigger, a tad faster and has a slightly better shot, but also has 0 IQ. Turcotte is better 2 way and has crazy high IQ, he is also the better prospect.

If you are a team that wants a boom or bust power forward winger then Cozens will be a good option along with maybe a Brody or Pod.

If you want a Center then you are looking at Turcotte, Dach and maybe Zegras and Krebs.

Wait Cozens is faster than Turcotte?

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Wait Cozens is faster than Turcotte?

Yeah Cozens has great speed but its not a big difference. Turcottes speed is more so from that he thinks the game and can play at a faster pace where as Cozens is physically very quick but the decision making it a second or 2 too slow.

Reactions: Foxtail

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019

Agree with this from a physical perspective. I don’t think there is any chance Cozens plays in the NHL next year.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Yeah Cozens has great speed but its not a big difference. Turcottes speed is more so from that he thinks the game and can play at a faster pace where as Cozens is physically very quick but the decision making it a second or 2 too slow.

Uh.. Cozens isn't faster or better on his edges than Turcotte. This is like playing duck hunt, and talking about a turkey shoot. Wtf?

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Yes but Cozens lack of dynamic IQ is the reason, and IMO his shot is nothing really extremely special right now. Which is a strength, but could also advance with strength obviously.

Also no way any of these guys are finished or close to finished, but IMO IQ isn't something that I think advances with physical maturity. Turcotte's all around skill level is simply higher in every category besides pure size. Where I think Cozens lack of dynamic ability could limit his ultimate upside.

Again I don't see his shot as a talent that separates him enough. So that sort of adds to it for me.

Agree about the shot. I think it’s good, not great right now.

I do think a shot is something you can improve though. Look at Mackinon. His shot was nowhere near what it is now coming out of junior. Same with Rantanen.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
We’ll see I suppose. I’m higher on Cozens than most and lower on Turcotte than most.

I think Cozens has a better offensive game then Turcotte.

Byram is probably still my first choice.

Cozens offensive game is to skate north and shoot. Saying he has a better offensive game than Turcotte is just plain incorrect.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Agree about the shot. I think it’s good, not great right now.

I do think a shot is something you can improve though. Look at Mackinon. His shot was nowhere near what it is now coming out of junior. Same with Rantanen.

Wouldn't say nowhere near, but I'd say improved and more accurate would be fair. MacK's shot was already a special talent. Mikko I don't really know to be honest.

MacK was more inaccurate than lacking strength or a deceptive release.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Cozens offensive game is to skate north and shoot. Saying he has a better offensive game than Turcotte is just plain incorrect.

Ya’ll sleepin’ on Cozens, I’m tellin’ you man. He’s still growing into his body, and is already a force.

He wins puck battles and finds open areas on the ice. And I’m not sure why people try to peg him as a winger because he played plenty of centre this year.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Ya’ll sleepin’ on Cozens, I’m tellin’ you man. He’s still growing into his body, and is already a force.

He wins puck battles and finds open areas on the ice. And I’m not sure why people try to peg him as a winger because he played plenty of centre this year.

No one was higher on Cozens than me for about 4 months, trust me I have done the opposite of sleeping on him. I do see upside there but I also see a lot of similar traits of some giant previous draft busts as well. Ultimately he just isn't going to be a center in the NHL so I don't think he is in the conversation any longer for the Avs. If there was actually a case for him to be an option I would have found it and supported it. I've seen I think 17 full games of his up to this point now, maybe more and he just isn't with the rest of the guys.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
No one was higher on Cozens than me for about 4 months, trust me I have done the opposite of sleeping on him. I do see upside there but I also see a lot of similar traits of some giant previous draft busts as well. Ultimately he just isn't going to be a center in the NHL so I don't think he is in the conversation any longer for the Avs. If there was actually a case for him to be an option I would have found it and supported it. I've seen I think 17 full games of his up to this point now, maybe more and he just isn't with the rest of the guys.

I just don’t think I’m sold on Turcotte though. Mind you, I’ve watched a lot more of Cozens than I have of Turcotte, so that could be why. Hope I’m wrong, because it could be between Byram and Turcotte for the Avs

Reactions: Foxtail

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
I just don’t think I’m sold on Turcotte though. Mind you, I’ve watched a lot more of Cozens than I have of Turcotte, so that could be why. Hope I’m wrong, because it could be between Byram and Turcotte for the Avs

While I think at this point Turcotte is pretty firmly the 2nd best center in the draft, as do many others, however it is close enough between him and guys like Dach, Zegras and maybe Krebs to where I would respect if you had one of them higher on your list.

I think the Avs take a center no matter what unless they are able to solve their 2c hole long term elsewhere first. Although I do think they would consider trading down with Det as the difference between Dach and Zegras isn't that big

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
While I think at this point Turcotte is pretty firmly the 2nd best center in the draft, as do many others, however it is close enough between him and guys like Dach, Zegras and maybe Krebs to where I would respect if you had one of them higher on your list.

I think the Avs take a center no matter what unless they are able to solve their 2c hole long term elsewhere first. Although I do think they would consider trading down with Det as the difference between Dach and Zegras isn't that big

Sakic could choose Byram if he is available. You can never have enough DMen. The thought of partnering with Makar for a decade is too enticing to ignore.

Reactions: Lemonlimey
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad