Prospect Info: The 2019 Entry NHL Draft Thread - Part IX

Besides Forwards and Byram, which defender excites you the most?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
With Dach I see a guy who can take over games and displays a will to win. If he didn't show that level of compete in big games or internationally I'd be more apt to get the Strome and Wolski comparisons but instead I see a big guy like Rants who is figuring out just how much influence he can on the game. That combined with his incredible skill set I just don't see it being as big of a hurdle as some.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I really am falling for Kaliyev’s potential :help:
He has a tremendous shot. Like, could beat NHL goalies clean kind of elite potential, and more than one facet to it as well. He can snipe a wrister just as easily as he can blast in a one time slapper.

Unfortunately, that's the only tool I see him having that has NHL potential attached to it. His playmaking is average at best, and his effort level away from the puck is disturbingly bad. Maybe it's just a maturity thing and he'll grow out of it, but it's a huge red flag to me.

Y3TI

Sep 28, 2017
He has a tremendous shot. Like, could beat NHL goalies clean kind of elite potential, and more than one facet to it as well. He can snipe a wrister just as easily as he can blast in a one time slapper.

Unfortunately, that's the only tool I see him having that has NHL potential attached to it. His playmaking is average at best, and his effort level away from the puck is disturbingly bad. Maybe it's just a maturity thing and he'll grow out of it, but it's a huge red flag to me.

Would you swing? Or maybe I should say, in what range would you swing?

E: ..... err phrasing..... on drafting him

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I

I agree completely, I know the question marks around him, but yet I’ve heard 3 or 4 people be interviewed about him, that say not to read into it. I think it’s cuz he is 6’2 and not 5’10-11 that intrigues me (besides the obvious) but then again see Greg lol.

Not that I’m comparing the 2 players, but how does he compare to what was said about Tarasenko in his draft year?

Tarasenko was the far more complete player of the two. He’s better skater, way better off the puck, better passer. Kaliyev has an elite shot(or will) but that’s his only good trait at the moment really. He’s completely disinterested when the puck isn’t on his stick and he isn’t much of a playmaker either. If a good development team like the Lightning, Sens, or Sharks get him I could see him becoming a good top 6 player, but the risk is way to big for a team like us to take him imo.

Reactions: Y3TI

Y3TI

Sep 28, 2017
Tarasenko was the far more complete player of the two. He’s better skater, way better off the puck, better passer. Kaliyev has an elite shot(or will) but that’s his only good trait at the moment really. He’s completely disinterested when the puck isn’t on his stick and he isn’t much of a playmaker either. If a good development team like the Lightning, Sens, or Sharks get him I could see him becoming a good top 6 player, but the risk is way to big for a team like us to take him imo.

Fair point. Why can’t we just have good a development system!? Ugh!!! So if you wanted to go with a pure goal scorer, aside from Caufield, (unless we trade that high or down) who would be that guy?

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Fair point. Why can’t we just have good a development system!? Ugh!!! So if you wanted to go with a pure goal scorer, aside from Caufield, (unless we trade that high or down) who would be that guy?

I mean Kaliyev has the highest upside as a pure goal scorer in the draft because his shot is ridiculous imo. Caufield might be a little above him but I’m not totally sure. But he’s also got the highest bust probability of anyone in the first round.

Y3TI

Sep 28, 2017
I mean Kaliyev has the highest upside as a pure goal scorer in the draft because his shot is ridiculous imo. Caufield might be a little above him but I’m not totally sure. But he’s also got the highest bust probability of anyone in the first round.

I probably worded that a bit wrong with throwing pure in there lol. Meaning who has the best goal scoring talent aside from Kaliyev and CC. Guys that do other things besides scoring goals, they just so happen to be really good at that too

Y3TI

Sep 28, 2017
OT, but if anyone wants to see someone throw a hell of a temper tantrum, check out the Hawks board “#3 overall discussion” thread. Someone mentioned them not taking Byram and this dude has been losing his s**t all day! Even called Zebras a hack multiple times, and a franchise AHL player lmao

E: starts on page 33

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I probably worded that a bit wrong with throwing pure in there lol. Meaning who has the best goal scoring talent aside from Kaliyev and CC. Guys that do other things besides scoring goals, they just so happen to be really good at that too

I’m not 100% sure. I follow prospects but not enough to make that call. @S E P H would be the person to give you an answer there.

timothy jimothy

Apr 12, 2019
Kochetkov is a goalie I really like, and could see the Avs taking a shot on too.

I'd also be happy with taking a shot on Dustin Wolf or Isaiah Saville. I like their pedigree and I like the programs they are coming from. There's so much emphasis on the size of today's prototype of an NHL goalie, I feel like these guys are slipping under the radar a bit because they aren't over 6'2". It's not like they are under 6'0" and they've got the footwork and technique to make up for that extra inch that they are missing. With how fast the game is getting, I think the best goalies are going to be the ones that can move and track the puck the best, not necessarily the ones that have the best net coverage.

Last edited:
Reactions: Meeqs

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
OT, but if anyone wants to see someone throw a hell of a temper tantrum, check out the Hawks board “#3 overall discussion” thread. Someone mentioned them not taking Byram and this dude has been losing his s**t all day! Even called Zebras a hack multiple times, and a franchise AHL player lmao

E: starts on page 33

People are nuts and fall in love with players in an unhealthy way sometimes.

I remember some fans - though I believe this was on the NHL.com forum - were flipping out when Colorado drafted Matt Duchene over Magnus Svensson-Paajarvi in 2009.

Yeah.

The reality is that nearly half of the guys taken in the first round will be delivering pizzas five years from now (well, probably playing in Europe, but you get the picture).

Y3TI

Sep 28, 2017
Kochetkov is a goalie I really like, and could see the Avs taking a shot on too.

I'd also be happy with taking a shot on Dustin Wolf or Isaiah Saville. I like their pedigree and I like the programs they are coming from. There's so much emphasis on the size of today's prototype of an NHL goalie, I feel like these guys are slipping under the radar a bit because they aren't over 6'2". It's not like they are under 6'0" and they've got the footwork and technique to make up for that extra inch that they are missing. With how fast the game is getting, I think the best goalies are going to be the ones that can move and track the puck the best, not necessarily the ones that have the best net coverage.

I may have misheard it at the time, but I saw something on NHL network for the draft where they were talking about the goalies in the draft this year. I believe I heard the size preference in goalie prospects is actually due to that goalie equipment is proportional to size (height I guess) like pad size and all? Anyone know if that is correct? It would make sense in a way, I just never knew that there wasn’t a specific regulation size so to speak.

(Wasn’t meaning to hijack your post, it was just the last one pertaining to goalies lol)

Y3TI

Sep 28, 2017
People are nuts and fall in love with players in an unhealthy way sometimes.

I remember some fans - though I believe this was on the NHL.com forum - were flipping out when Colorado drafted Matt Duchene over Magnus Svensson-Paajarvi in 2009.

Yeah.

The reality is that nearly half of the guys taken in the first round will be delivering pizzas five years from now (well, probably playing in Europe, but you get the picture).

And I get that, we all have players we love/hate, but the extent this guy took it to was on a whole different universe lol

Kinda makes me want Zebras now, so our AHL franchise center can torch the Hacks for years LOL

Reactions: shadow1

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Would you swing? Or maybe I should say, in what range would you swing?

E: ..... err phrasing..... on drafting him
Towards the end of the first on my list, eventually it gets to the point that his potential as a goal scorer outweighs the safer, lower-ceiling picks in that range. I'll say 25-31 is the highest I'd pick him, but I have a feeling that when draft day comes he'll go higher than that.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Outside Knight (which I don't want the Avs to pick at #16) my two favorite goalies have been for a while now Kochetkov and Saville.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I

I agree completely, I know the question marks around him, but yet I’ve heard 3 or 4 people be interviewed about him, that say not to read into it. I think it’s cuz he is 6’2 and not 5’10-11 that intrigues me (besides the obvious) but then again see Greg lol.

Not that I’m comparing the 2 players, but how does he compare to what was said about Tarasenko in his draft year?

Other than their shots & passports, they shared no similarities.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I like him and I love the way he plays the game... I just see so much flash without production that it starts to worry me. U17s and U18s in 13 games he didn't produce a single point. His SEL isn't at all bad for a draft eligible player, but isn't wow worthy either. Even last year at U20, he was only a PPG player and that is a league where you'd expect the production to be higher as a 2000 born. 16 scares me a bit, but he certainly isn't lasting to 47 either. If you like him, you have to take him at 16.
He came through very young and he hasn't really taken off the way you expected. It's his third season at senior level and he looks the same as he did his first 10 games. Maybe a red flag there.
I think this is a bit harsh, don't get me wrong that picking him at 16th overall is a reach, but man he is a good prospect. He was good enough to make AIK and Rogle while other players are still stuck in SuperElit. And what if it wasn't his fault, like would anybody turn down the opportunity to play against men as an double underager for AIK?

Not only that, but he was a PPG player as a single underager last season in the SuperElit which is actually quite good. He's up there with Gunler, Holtz, and Raymond as other players who were underagers and posted impressive stats in SuperElit and all of these should be top 15 talent in 2020 for Sweden.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Admittedly, I don't know anything about goalies. All I know is that I like the name "Mads Sogaard" best.

@Gigantor The Goalie pls help
Sogaard is very raw, we wouldn't be talking about him if he's 6'2" and I :eek::eek::eek::eek: for international prospects from small hockey nations. Ask @UncleRisto

Again Dustin Wolf is the 2nd best goaler for this draft, which is something that GTG will probably not agree with. I've liked Maier more than I have in the past, but he's short too being 6'0" and simple doesn't have Wolf's technical ability.
I’m not 100% sure. I follow prospects but not enough to make that call. @S E P H would be the person to give you an answer there.
There are a lot of good goalscorers in this draft besides those two.

- Newhook has some accuracy issues, but his shot is awesome.
- McMichael is like a more talented version of Compher.
- Foote is a sniper and carries a great shot.
- Cozens best attribute is scoring goals for me after his skating.
- Lavoie is also a goalscorer for me.
- Mastrosimone had 31 goals in 54 games in the USHL.
- Dorofeyev is a super underrated sniper, very eerie to Tyler Seguin.
- Beaucage and Lagare are both very good goalscorers.

I've been more open to Kaliyev even with the red flags and one of the reasons why is because he was a productive player on a bad team. He lead his team in points, scored 51 goals after they traded away all their best pieces, and added another 50 assists on top of that. I don't care what anybody says, but if you're a 30 goalscorer in the CHL during your draft year then you have the potential to score 30 goals in the NHL. I doubt that Kaliyev becomes a 50 goalscorer in the NHL since it's even tough for Ovechkin to get to that level, but I see him having a high floor and definitely becoming 30 goalscorer....I mean he might drive fans and coaches crazy, but I am not opposed to say he might have 40 goal potential if he fixes his game. He's interesting player though because I thought his parents were Russian immigrants and he was born here and had an American accent, but that is just not the case. He was actually born in effin' Uzbekistan if anybody can find that on the map and his accent including his speech mannerisms are still super Russian based. Not sure how long he's lived in NA, but he might be dealing with some culture changes here and there.

Reactions: UncleRisto and Y3TI
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad