Prospect Info: The 2019 Entry NHL Draft Thread - Part IX

Besides Forwards and Byram, which defender excites you the most?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
If we traded for Horvat and 10oa - How high could a 10oa + 16oa package get us?

Could we swing 10 + 16 to the wings for 6 and still take Zegras/Dach?

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
Well that's nice, but I'll go with my own viewings, thanks. It's mostly based on his international performances, and if you watched him play there and don't remain optimistic about him as a prospect, I don't know what I can tell you to change your mind.
Yeah it was BSN who listens to them , Brobergg has also had mention of a little Hedman in his game as well. He should easily be a top 4 . The way he skates I'd say he is a pretty safe bet.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Oh ya, it's good. I hope we see more. Canucks usually have Benning mic'd up at the draft too every year. They pump out a lot of that content.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
What are the knocks on Zegras? He also looks outstanding.

He doesn't have a lot of knocks, he still needs to fill out and he is a bit raw but he's got a chip on his shoulder and is an outstanding playmaker. My only concern is that despite him playing with top-tier talent and with his outstanding playmaking his production isn't as high as I would hope.

For all the people concerned about Turcotte's ceiling, the kid just produces. Mind you he was coming off an injury to start the season and had mono to end it. Despite this, his numbers still look fantastic, and in the brief stretches where there is no Hughes he has stepped in just fine.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Take a look at my breakdown in the other thread.

Horvat + 10oa for Barrie + 4oa.

But why would a rebuilding team trade a 24 year old, two-way 2C that's locked up for a very friendly price for another 4 seasons to upgrade their own pick by 6 spots. Barrie may be a tradeable asset for them by the deadline, or they may re-sign him, but he's an iffy asset for a rebuilding team. It just doesn't make sense for the Canucks.

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
In that case, makes sense. We can trade them BC boys Big Boi Barrie and Corefoot.

That’s exactly what I’m proposing. Gives us the stud 2c we’re looking for locked in at a cheap rate ($5.5m x 4 years). That gives us a ton of cap space - $17-18m - enough to sign 2 good FA wingers (Zucc and Nyquist) and still have room to acquire someone else mid-season (maybe defense if we need it).

We then would have 10oa + 16oa. I think there’d be a team in 5-8 range that would trade down from that spot for 10+16, which gives us one of Zegras, Dach, Cozens, Krebs or Boldy.

We still end up with at least 1 of the prospects we desperately want/need and are essentially swapping Barrie for Horvat. You also have a ton of cap space and all our picks/prospects moving forward.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Teams don't move from 4 to 10... teams look at that as the difference between having a young star 1st line player vs a good 2nd liner. Mistakes happen in evaluations and players break out, but the expectations from the pick are very different... hence why it doesn't happen.

Reactions: missionAvs

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
No worse than the the posters here. Some good, some not so much. Not a single person here I agree with 100%, and same goes for the BSN crew. But AJ and NR do actually watch prospects and not just stat-scout. Personally, I tend to question some of the judgement calls they make. And when they had Dater in the mix, his ideas of what were needed were, shall we say, downright Jurassic at times.

Overall, they are no worse than the folks here. Nor are they any worse than other media outlets...Wheeler at The Athletic has Dorofeyev at 15, two spots ahead of Podkolzin. Button's last published list had Jakob Pelletier and Ilya Nikolaev ahead of Dach, Krebs and others. Everyone has different opinions and preferences.

And if 98% of the folks around here had podcasts, they also would be iffy-at-best for prospect opinions.

Having a podcast (no offence to those that had one here) is not where I set my bar on level of hockey knowledge that deserves my attention.

Not trying to be a dick, just seems like - especially in the prospect world - people tout opinions without being critical enough of their sources.

Reactions: Foxtail

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
My final choices for the 4OA are now

1 Turcotte
2 Byram
3 Zegras
4 Cozens

Anything else will be a disappointment.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Remember this name folks, Nils Hoglander. Been watching some tape on him and holy **** he is good. Would absolutely pick him at 16th overall no questions asked.

Jost had great stats his year at UND too though (could be argued that Boeser was a big part of that though). The problem with him is that they dropped him in the NHL, and left him there to figure it out afterwards. I would be ok with Zebras having a good year at BC (?) and then signing and maybe finishing next season with an Eagles playoff run similar to Bowers this year. It’s that D+2 where you have to be careful.
I suggest there is quite a difference between Jost and Zegras, Trevor reads the game better, has better anticipation, has more deadly with the puck, more creative, and his skating won’t let him down once he plays in tougher leagues against better players. Not saying his skating is amazing, but Trevor has better agility and start to stop (needs to work on straight line speed though). One aspect which I think Jost has on him is better individual plays to goal scoring opportunities, but this isn’t to say that Zegras sucks in it either - Jost is just a tad better.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
What are the knocks on Zegras? He also looks outstanding.

I second this question. I finally got around to watching some video on this kid, mostly because people wouldn't stop talking about him, and his playmaking is ridiculous. Trying to figure out what the catch is and why he doesn't seem to be up there in the Turcotte/Byram conversation more consistently.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Remember this name folks, Nils Hoglander. Been watching some tape on him and holy **** he is good. Would absolutely pick him at 16th overall no questions asked.

I like him and I love the way he plays the game... I just see so much flash without production that it starts to worry me. U17s and U18s in 13 games he didn't produce a single point. His SEL isn't at all bad for a draft eligible player, but isn't wow worthy either. Even last year at U20, he was only a PPG player and that is a league where you'd expect the production to be higher as a 2000 born. 16 scares me a bit, but he certainly isn't lasting to 47 either. If you like him, you have to take him at 16.

Y3TI

Sep 28, 2017

I suggest there is quite a difference between Jost and Zegras, Trevor reads the game better, has better anticipation, has more deadly with the puck, more creative, and his skating won’t let him down once he plays in tougher leagues against better players. Not saying his skating is amazing, but Trevor has better agility and start to stop (needs to work on straight line speed though). One aspect which I think Jost has on him is better individual plays to goal scoring opportunities, but this isn’t to say that Zegras sucks in it either - Jost is just a tad better.

I was meaning stats-wise between Jost and Farabee that you said to look up lol. As far as playing style between Jost and Zebras I completely agree with you. You did see a lot more of Jost’s playmaking at UND that hasn’t really come out yet in the NHL (if it ever does), but yeah, Zebras definitely has an advantage in the IQ department but I think that’s a lot to do with his creativity also. I think Jost does have a much better 2-way game than Trevor has shown thus far though, not that he couldn’t develop that though

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I second this question. I finally got around to watching some video on this kid, mostly because people wouldn't stop talking about him, and his playmaking is ridiculous. Trying to figure out what the catch is and why he doesn't seem to be up there in the Turcotte/Byram conversation more consistently.

He played more of a perimeter game earlier in the process, so he had to develop some snarl & show that he could play in the dirtier areas before he could really rise into that range...which he did this season with aplomb. He also likely needs more time than Turcotte to be NHL ready, and he could still end up a winger if a team rushes him & plants him on the wing in the bigs without giving him enough time to develop as a center.

So there's a little more risk due to his longer timeline & there's some positional risk with him staying at C...especially given our franchise's impulse to err on the side of rushing kids rather than letting them over-ripen.

I also wouldn't be surprised if his potential doesn't get under-played a bit because Turcotte produced sexier per game #s, and a lot of folks on HF equate production as a prospect with offensive upside/skill, far too readily...see Pod v Dorofeyev discussions on HF vs on russian hockey boards.

Reactions: AvsGuy and Ararana

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Speaking of Farabee, how has he done this season? I didn't pay attention to him at all, but was really high on him last year. I wanted any of Denisenko / Farabee / Kravtsov / Bokk at our pick.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
I like him and I love the way he plays the game... I just see so much flash without production that it starts to worry me. U17s and U18s in 13 games he didn't produce a single point. His SEL isn't at all bad for a draft eligible player, but isn't wow worthy either. Even last year at U20, he was only a PPG player and that is a league where you'd expect the production to be higher as a 2000 born. 16 scares me a bit, but he certainly isn't lasting to 47 either. If you like him, you have to take him at 16.
He came through very young and he hasn't really taken off the way you expected. It's his third season at senior level and he looks the same as he did his first 10 games. Maybe a red flag there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad